if this is true them GM should be notified immediately
More cases now being revealed now that guys are looking for it. So far always drivers door ...
iOS Image - 3718805329.jpg
iOS Image - 2485631849.jpg

Regarding the water getting in the engine bay due to big vents/holes in the hatch:

I took a look at many of the mid-engine cars that were built over the years. Every single one I looked at (from the Fiat X1/9, Toyota MR2, all the way up to the McLaren P1 and an unmentionable American mid-engine car from the '80s) have cutouts/vents above the engine in the rear of the car. This is very likely due to heat buildup as an engine in the rear of the car will get a lot less moving air/ventilation than one mounted up front. The front of the car is a high-pressure area and the rear is low-pressure. Air will want to move away from the front but collect at the rear. Gotta do as much as you can to keep the heat out.

No one in our wealth bracket would have noticed this before because, frankly, who bought a Toyota MR2, Fiat X1/9 or *cough-Fiero-cough*? Until the C8 came out, the only mid-engine cars you could get were $300k or more. It wasn't common knowledge that rear hatches for these cars had big vents and cutouts.

The convertible will also have big vents in the rear hatch. It just won't be as obvious that water gets in because, really, who's going to look at the engine bay in the convertible?

We're just going to have to deal with it...

Side note: I think if someone reaches out to a detailing business that caters to high-end imports, they may have some suggestions on how to prevent water from getting into the engine bay.

This looks like an operator error by picking wrong fasteners, or lack of that particular part, and use anything that will fit. Either way, it should have never left the plant.

I hope GM is aware of this and making the necessary fix.
From what I have read they have not had time to set up a remedy line for this due to the launch and this world issue going on right now but hopefully it will be something that they will look at when stuff calms down and we return to some kind of normal

Ya ya....blame it on the assembler. Typical North American mgmt response!
Maybe the bolt was engineered to act as a 'stop', and it's too short.......lol.
Doesn't anyone have a dremel?

• Haha
Reactions: kerry4
Regarding the water getting in the engine bay due to big vents/holes in the hatch:

I took a look at many of the mid-engine cars that were built over the years. Every single one I looked at (from the Fiat X1/9, Toyota MR2, all the way up to the McLaren P1 and an unmentionable American mid-engine car from the '80s) have cutouts/vents above the engine in the rear of the car. This is very likely due to heat buildup as an engine in the rear of the car will get a lot less moving air/ventilation than one mounted up front. The front of the car is a high-pressure area and the rear is low-pressure. Air will want to move away from the front but collect at the rear. Gotta do as much as you can to keep the heat out.

No one in our wealth bracket would have noticed this before because, frankly, who bought a Toyota MR2, Fiat X1/9 or *cough-Fiero-cough*? Until the C8 came out, the only mid-engine cars you could get were $300k or more. It wasn't common knowledge that rear hatches for these cars had big vents and cutouts.

The convertible will also have big vents in the rear hatch. It just won't be as obvious that water gets in because, really, who's going to look at the engine bay in the convertible?

We're just going to have to deal with it...

Side note: I think if someone reaches out to a detailing business that caters to high-end imports, they may have some suggestions on how to prevent water from getting into the engine bay.
Water leaks have and will be every manufacturer worst nightmare. All plants have a facility that all vehicle pass through the water test booth; vigorous high powered pressured water is sprayed all over the vehicle and checked internally with a blue light. The water pressure given is more than a normal thunderstorm or monsoon. If leaks are detected, repairs are done accordingly, unfortunately, these repairs are just that repairs and are subjected to leak again thereafter. Prototype vehicles before sign off for mass production are off perfect assembly.
Most common faults for leakage are bent flanges overuse of sealer poor welds or adhesion to parts and poor installations of weather stripping. Proper maintenance to these vital areas of possible leakages falls onto the owners to the due diligence of proper maintenance.

Ya ya....blame it on the assembler. Typical North American mgmt response!
Maybe the bolt was engineered to act as a 'stop', and it's too short.......lol.
Doesn't anyone have a dremel?
I love my dremel, but it usually doesn't go well when I use it. LOL.

Reactions: Sparro
There's open vents ffs. How can water NOT get in? My C7 has wet spots in the engine bay after I put the hose to it. I wipe them dry. If I want the plastic shrouds to shine, I'd put the ArmorAll (or similar) to it. The C8 is no different, except for location (and the need for a dremel).

There's open vents ffs. How can water NOT get in? My C7 has wet spots in the engine bay after I put the hose to it. I wipe them dry. If I want the plastic shrouds to shine, I'd put the ArmorAll (or similar) to it. The C8 is no different, except for location (and the need for a dremel).
that was why i tried to get a convertible

The water coming in the engine bay area is normal and won't hurt anything. I've been pressure washing all my engines for many many many many many years and have NEVER had one problem.
Even Ferrari's have the vents in the back and water gets in. Its normal, just add it to your regular cleaning routine and move along.

Reactions: X-R8
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.