May 11, 2013
Bowmanville
VetteCoins
Car
2014 Z51'93 Trans Am
Province
ON
Picked up my new Z06 last week thanks to Mr. Corvette. Put 303 km on it and dropped it off to get PPF and tint. Can't wait to get it broken in but will have to get used to this automatic thing.
P_20240408_160355.jpg

Picked up my new Z06 last week thanks to Mr. Corvette. Put 303 km on it and dropped it off to get PPF and tint. Can't wait to get it broken in but will have to get used to this automatic thing.View attachment 123523
You mean the manual paddle shifters?

I agree.... You can fool yourself into thinking it's not an automatic by exercising your fingers and your left leg simultaneously. I do it all the time in my wife's Lincoln....lol...
There is no fooling necessary…AMTs and DCTs use an electronically-controlled manual gearbox, while an AT uses planetary gearing.

Reactions: Murray20c8
Yes. All that and no third pedal in these no matter what you might want to call them. Enjoy your 'manual' and I will enjoy mine.
And your 'manual' will never be as quick or have paddle shifters no matter what you might want to call them! :p lol

No argument there Murray, nor does there need to be. Your DCT shifts one gear to the next extremely quick but it's not you doing that. It's automatic.... ;)
If I don't pull the paddle it hits the rev limiter. What does yours do if you don't shift? Huh? Huh? ;)
Of course regardless of modes it will down shift so it doesn't bog. That's why I never bother shifting. It's just not as much fun as an old fashioned stick car. lol

If I don't pull the paddle it hits the rev limiter. What does yours do if you don't shift? Huh? Huh? ;)
Of course regardless of modes it will down shift so it doesn't bog. That's why I never bother shifting. It's just not as much fun as an old fashioned stick car. lol
No rev limiter on the M7. I think the 'automatics' have one but not sure. Even if I'm banging on it, I typically shift long before redline anyway. Usually at 4500 to 5700. The extremely linear power band combined with the gear ratio and rev match feature lets you take advantage of the peak HP and torque range with zero lag between shifts even at marginally reduced RPMs. If I wanted to push it, 4th gear will take me to over 240 kph as quick as I'll ever need, with 2 more power gears to go. I very seldom use 7th gear as it's purely the GM gas guzzler avoidance gear. At 120 kph in 7th I'm only revving a touch over 1300 rpm. The fuel mileage (7.2 L/100km) is great like that but you definitely have to shift down if you want to get back in the power band. 6th is my cruising gear. I like my stick vehicles. My chipped diesel truck is a manual 6 spd as well. I like that driver interaction with the vehicle that a stick gives me. When I'm driving wifeys MKX the only time I use the paddles is to engine brake down steep hills in the mountains. Even at over 300 hp, I'm somewhat bored driving it...lol

Reactions: 1st Vette
No rev limiter on the M7.
Sorry, I must doubt you here. I can't see GM allowing you to push the revs over the redline. Perhaps you just haven't done that? Never missed a shift? Have you ever raced it? It's pretty easy to miss a shift when racing.
A quick google search says there is one set at 6600 RPM.

Sorry, I must doubt you here. I can't see GM allowing you to push the revs over the redline. Perhaps you just haven't done that? Never missed a shift? Have you ever raced it? It's pretty easy to miss a shift when racing.
A quick google search says there is one set at 6600 RPM.
I stand corrected....maybe... lol... I use to drag race my Chevelle and my Duster. Can't remember missing a gear with the Chevelle and couldn't miss a gear with the Duster. I put a vertical gate shifter in it.

I stand corrected....maybe... lol... I use to drag race my Chevelle and my Duster. Can't remember missing a gear with the Chevelle and couldn't miss a gear with the Duster. I put a vertical gate shifter in it.
My duster had a stock "Hurst Mystery Shifter" in my 3 speed tranny. It was a mystery how it ever made a shift! LOL.
I replaced it with a 4 speed tranny with a much better hurst shifter.

My duster had a stock "Hurst Mystery Shifter" in my 3 speed tranny. It was a mystery how it ever made a shift! LOL.
I replaced it with a 4 speed tranny with a much better hurst shifter.
I loved the vertical gate until it came to getting reverse. Shifts were all straigt forward and straight bac but reverse had a different lever and you had to be in neutral (obviously) for it to engage. If the linkages had any play, it was a bitch to get into reverse