I'm New Here
Oct 1, 2013
ontario
VetteCoins
Car
2002 Z06
Province
ON
Good day, hope this day of the total eclipse finds everyone well.

Several years ago I sold my C5 Z06 and a couple of years after that I had an opportunity to purchase a 1980 with 6,000 original km.

The owner and I didn’t come to terms on the price and parted with the proverbial if-you-change-your-mind…

So the story goes the current owner purchased the car from the original owner in 1981 when the car was a year old. The new owner enjoyed the car for that summer then stored it for the winter in the family garage.

When spring rolled around he went out to start it and surprise the battery was dead, and from what I have been told it hasn’t been driven since. I know very odd but that’s what I was told.

When I looked at the car it appeared clean, interior was nice no mould or funky smells, the engine was not stuck, tires retained air but I didn’t attempt to start it with the decades old fuel.

When we couldn’t agree on a price I left and almost forgot about the car. Recently I was rummaging around in my truck console and found the phone number, so I decided to call and ask if the car was still available. It is and we are discussing a possible sale once again.

Nothing really has changed, the car hasn’t been started since that day 6 years ago when I went to look at it and here we are again.

I realize the car has very low mileage, however, as most of you know that comes with its own set of challenges which leads me to my question/s.

Besides the obvious potential issues, tires, fuel tank flush or replace, fuel lines and carburetor rebuild, a/c system, HVAC system flush, frame looked good, brakes blah blah blah, I could be $3-4k +/- to hear the car run again.

I’m not sure if I would keep it or sell it at that point so, anything else I should be aware of and what’s the market value for the car at that point?

Colour is desert beige with doe skin interior, automatic with two sets of t-tops (glass and matching beige).

Thank you

Several years ago I sold my C5 Z06 and a couple of years after that I had an opportunity to purchase a 1980 with 6,000 original km.

The owner and I didn’t come to terms on the price and parted with the proverbial if-you-change-your-mind…

So the story goes the current owner purchased the car from the original owner in 1981 when the car was a year old. The new owner enjoyed the car for that summer then stored it for the winter in the family garage.

When spring rolled around he went out to start it and surprise the battery was dead, and from what I have been told it hasn’t been driven since. I know very odd but that’s what I was told.

When I looked at the car it appeared clean, interior was nice no mould or funky smells, the engine was not stuck, tires retained air but I didn’t attempt to start it with the decades old fuel.

When we couldn’t agree on a price I left and almost forgot about the car. Recently I was rummaging around in my truck console and found the phone number, so I decided to call and ask if the car was still available. It is and we are discussing a possible sale once again.

Nothing really has changed, the car hasn’t been started since that day 6 years ago when I went to look at it and here we are again.

I realize the car has very low mileage, however, as most of you know that comes with its own set of challenges which leads me to my question/s.

Besides the obvious potential issues, tires, fuel tank flush or replace, fuel lines and carburetor rebuild, a/c system, HVAC system flush, frame looked good, brakes blah blah blah, I could be $3-4k +/- to hear the car run again.

I’m not sure if I would keep it or sell it at that point so, anything else I should be aware of and what’s the market value for the car at that point?

Colour is desert beige with doe skin interior, automatic with two sets of t-tops (glass and matching beige).

Thank you
There's an almost for sure chance of some major costs to get the car road worthy again. The fluids will all be broken down. Good chance of an oil pan with copious amounts of sludge. Antifreeze will be deteriorated to the point that it is corroding the metals it is in contact with, including the radiator itself. All the hoses of course need replacement. Tires will be flatspotted and cracked. Good chance the brake components are rusted. Engine and transmission seals will have dried out and cracked. Rodents may not have been in the car but chewed wiring could be an issue. C3's are notorious for birdcage rot which if so is a deal breaker. If it was inside all it's life that may or my not be an issue but you have to pull some interior liners away to tell. Likely other things I haven't thought of. If you can replace or repair these things yourself it will save you a chunk of money but if it were me, I would set aside a minimum of $10,000 to bring it back to life. Let us know what you do as we love hearing about projects here.

There's an almost for sure chance of some major costs to get the car road worthy again. The fluids will all be broken down. Good chance of an oil pan with copious amounts of sludge. Antifreeze will be deteriorated to the point that it is corroding the metals it is in contact with, including the radiator itself. All the hoses of course need replacement. Tires will be flatspotted and cracked. Good chance the brake components are rusted. Engine and transmission seals will have dried out and cracked. Rodents may not have been in the car but chewed wiring could be an issue. C3's are notorious for birdcage rot which if so is a deal breaker. If it was inside all it's life that may or my not be an issue but you have to pull some interior liners away to tell. Likely other things I haven't thought of. If you can replace or repair these things yourself it will save you a chunk of money but if it were me, I would set aside a minimum of $10,000 to bring it back to life. Let us know what you do as we love hearing about projects here.
Thank you Rruuff Day, I appreciate your insight.

It always sounds cool finding a nice car with low miles but the reality isn't always cool and usually very expensive.

I believe any additional replies will likely echo what you have said, so, I'll wait patiently and decide what I already know I should do :)

Thanks again,

IMO an 1980 Corvette regardless of the mileage would be a car of sentimental value not
monetary value. In other words if it had belonged to your Father, Mother, Aunt, or Uncle, it
would be of value to you.
Unless you buy it for next to nothing, I don't believe it will be worth what you will have
to spend to purchase and get it road worthy. 1980 is not considered a collector year for
Vettes which affects the value for resale.

• Agree
Reactions: OL Yeller
IMO an 1980 Corvette regardless of the mileage would be a car of sentimental value not
monetary value. In other words if it had belonged to your Father, Mother, Aunt, or Uncle, it
would be of value to you.
Unless you buy it for next to nothing, I don't believe it will be worth what you will have
to spend to purchase and get it road worthy. 1980 is not considered a collector year for
Vettes which affects the value for resale.
Thanks for your input, can't say I disagree.
Mike

Thank you

Hi Brock.

IMHO I'd buy the C3 at a fair price then buck up the extra money to get it into good condition and back on the road. The extra cost is redeemable when you drive your baby, top open, and with a big smile. :cool:

I know it will cost a fair chunk of change but you will be back in a Vette and enjoying a cool ride again.

:Cheers2:

Hi Brock.

IMHO I'd buy the C3 at a fair price then buck up the extra money to get it into good condition and back on the road. The extra cost is redeemable when you drive your baby, top open, and with a big smile. :cool:

I know it will cost a fair chunk of change but you will be back in a Vette and enjoying a cool ride again.

:Cheers2:
Thanks for your message, yes this is the see-saw discussion I keep having with myself.

If I can purchase for the "right price" it will be good, if not I just pass once again.

Have a great day

my input
I see many C3s and I love the body style, what they lack in performance they make up for in style, that being said the monetary value is not what many vettes are and C3s late in the model run are less desirable and you can get a a road worthy 76-80 for a very reasonable price. Mine was purchased last spring and on the road for under 10k Canadian. Installed the battery checked the fluids and ran it yesterday after a long winter nap with out incident.

Reactions: Dik
my input
I see many C3s and I love the body style, what they lack in performance they make up for in style, that being said the monetary value is not what many vettes are and C3s late in the model run are less desirable and you can get a a road worthy 76-80 for a very reasonable price. Mine was purchased last spring and on the road for under 10k Canadian. Installed the battery checked the fluids and ran it yesterday after a long winter nap with out incident.
Thanks Lawrence, I have always liked the body style.
At this point I'm leaning towards passing on the car, I agree with several opinions that the amount of potential work and expense doesn't make sense.
Thanks again,

Reactions: Dik