Nov 9, 2020
VetteCoins
Car
C8 2021
Province
QC
My 2021 C8 will reach 12000KM and will be 3 years old in a few months. The owner manual instruct to change the transmission fluid at 72000KM or 3 years (see footnote 4 in attachement). Currently my transmission oil life is at 78%... far from 0%.

So to be sure not having issues in case of future warranty claims... I will be changing the DCT transmission canister filter and fluid. I saw many threads about the cost of changing the transmission canister filter... but couldn't find the price to also change the fluid... so my 3 questions:

Q1- Are you guys following the owner manual and changing the DCT transmission fluid at 3 years even if not reaching 72000KM?
Q2- What is the cost of ther DCT transmission Fluid and filter change?
Q3- Should I take the opportunity to ask for 2 extra quarts of fluid?

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20210828-101223_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    SmartSelect_20210828-101223_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 0
  • SmartSelect_20210828-101443_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    SmartSelect_20210828-101443_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    403.1 KB · Views: 0
Q1. I refuse to answer on the grounds it may tend to incriminate me. ;)
Q2. Too much. The filter alone was over 800.
Q3. No need unless you are going to race it. Will it hurt? Likely no more than maybe fuel mileage.

An option could be to get the GM maintenance plan, although I don't know if your car has to be a certain age to be eligible. I got it for about $2200, and it covers all regular maintenance for 7 years: yearly oil changes (past the initial two), which are about $350 at a dealer; DCT canister filter changes (about $800, and you'll need 2 during that time, although you might get the first one under warranty); two tranny fluid changes, which are around $500; and possibly a coolant change. Note that those costs are just numbers I've seen floating around and will also vary by dealer, but are probably in the ballpark. Also think about inflation and GM's tendency to raise prices on everything.

• Informative
Reactions: Murray20c8
Yes the GM Essential Care Maintenance plan would cover the transmission fluid and filter change at the intervals specified in the owners manual. You can PM me your VIN and contact number if you would like me to check if your vehicle is eligible

View attachment 123462

Don
Is this transferrable to a new Owner, or once the car is sold it's done?

@LeDon I already have the 7 year "Total Plus" GM Vehicle Protection Plan (aka extended warranty). Is it possible to add GM Essential Care Maintenance plan on top of that?
Yes you can add the maintenance plan on top of the GM Total Plus plan.

Thanks @LeDon for the information. Its good to see that brake fluid and engine coolant is included since as to be changed every 5 years. But the front lift fluid that needs to be changed every 5 years is not included, can you confirm?
Yes that is correct. Unfortunately the front lift fluid would not be covered as it does not fall under the “normal service” section.

Reactions: Maximus74
My 2021 C8 will reach 12000KM and will be 3 years old in a few months. The owner manual instruct to change the transmission fluid at 72000KM or 3 years (see footnote 4 in attachement). Currently my transmission oil life is at 78%... far from 0%.

So to be sure not having issues in case of future warranty claims... I will be changing the DCT transmission canister filter and fluid. I saw many threads about the cost of changing the transmission canister filter... but couldn't find the price to also change the fluid... so my 3 questions:

Q1- Are you guys following the owner manual and changing the DCT transmission fluid at 3 years even if not reaching 72000KM?
Q2- What is the cost of ther DCT transmission Fluid and filter change?
Q3- Should I take the opportunity to ask for 2 extra quarts of fluid?
2022 C8 Z51 3LT: Q1 No
Q2 $700 -$800 takes a lot of time - had mine done free at 9000 km. Have to get done at 12,000KM at my cost
Q3 Why?

Reactions: Maximus74
Yes the GM Essential Care Maintenance plan would cover the transmission fluid and filter change at the intervals specified in the owners manual. You can PM me your VIN and contact number if you would like me to check if your vehicle is eligible

View attachment 123462

Don
I have an extended warranty, so where do I go to see what it covers?

An option could be to get the GM maintenance plan, although I don't know if your car has to be a certain age to be eligible. I got it for about $2200, and it covers all regular maintenance for 7 years: yearly oil changes (past the initial two), which are about $350 at a dealer; DCT canister filter changes (about $800, and you'll need 2 during that time, although you might get the first one under warranty); two tranny fluid changes, which are around $500; and possibly a coolant change. Note that those costs are just numbers I've seen floating around and will also vary by dealer, but are probably in the ballpark. Also think about inflation and GM's tendency to raise prices on everything.
2200$ taxes included? That is a great price.