Looking for recommendation. Should I park my Vette on anything over the winter like carpet or some sort of foam pad
Lots of guys worry about flat spotting the tires. I bump the pressure up to about 40 psi and park on 4 pieces of styrofoam SM. Whether it makes a difference or helps, I have no idea. The most important thing is to use a battery tender as it will be dead by spring if you don't. Also extends the life of your battery considerably.

So when I spoke with GM last year they said to fill the gas tank. You will have opinions on both sides- fill vs mostly empty. I have no idea which one is better, but I always use fuel stabilizer in the fall and water remover in the spring. Might be overkill.
I inflate to 10 psi above the recommended tire pressure for winter storage , but have been told by multiple sources, who know better than I, that modern tires do not develop flat spots. If you have the sensation of one in the spring it will go away after a few minutes of driving.
Battery tender definitely a good idea.
I also put in Bounce sheets to keep out the mice. Need to make sure the sheets are not on the leather.

So when I spoke with GM last year they said to fill the gas tank. You will have opinions on both sides- fill vs mostly empty. I have no idea which one is better, but I always use fuel stabilizer in the fall and water remover in the spring. Might be overkill.
I inflate to 10 psi above the recommended tire pressure for winter storage , but have been told by multiple sources, who know better than I, that modern tires do not develop flat spots. If you have the sensation of one in the spring it will go away after a few minutes of driving.
Battery tender definitely a good idea.
I also put in Bounce sheets to keep out the mice. Need to make sure the sheets are not on the leather.
Battery tender is a definite "to do" as there are a lot of electronics that are soaking up some juice even when sitting under a cover. Older cars without the electronics it might be better to remove the battery.

As to tire pressure I check mine every now and then for peace of mind and for something to do with the Vette over the six months. Definitely sitting on some rubber mats just so it is not right on the cement.

Fill the tank with 94 octane if there is some around (usually PetCan) and put in fuel stabilizer. Reason for that is that the older gas tanks were metal and you didn't want the humidity in the air rusting out the tank little by little over the years. Doubt that is needed now a days as the tanks are plastic. Nice peace of mind though. Also if there is any ethanol in the fuel it is not at all stable and will deteriorate. Usually 91/94 octane do not have ethanol/ Even nice "pure" gas will deteriorate and leave a coat of what looks like varnish on whatever it is in contact with. A full tank, or close to it, has less air to oxidize the fuel. Couple that with the stabilizer and you have done all you can unless you can take it out for a spin over the winter months. But then you have to was the crap off of it and let it fry before putting it away again.

As to water "remover" that, IMHO, is a bunch of crap. Never seen the level of fuel go down in the beaker when they did demonstrations at my old diesel haunts. Level always went up when they added the water "remover". With diesel the last thing you want is for water to get in to the injection system. The filter medium has been developed to resist water and make it sloth off the filter so that it can be drained from the filter.
So trying to force water through the system is nonsensical to begin with. Water and metal do not go well together. Especially tight tolerance metal parts.
If you have so much water that you "need" water remover then you had better drain the tank. We sold a water de-emulsifier to make any water in the fuel conglomerate and settle in the tank so it could be drained from there and not force it through water resistant filter medium.
Just plane logic. Keep water out of the fuel system. Don't see why anyone would want to force water through any fuel system, Gas system are more tolerant but the systems are now fuel "Injection" with a gas pressurizing pump (made by Stanadyne I believe) and injectors.

Battery tender: Agreed. You don't want your battery freezing over the winter. It likely wouldn't anyway, but hey leave the car alarm armed...
Tires: Yes inflate. They will flat spot, but not permanently, so again why not.
Tires on concrete: Google it. fallacy
Gas tank: Stabilizer, yes. Full tank, yes. Less air/moisture in the tank. The tank is plastic now, but the pickup has metal parts.
Bounce sheets. Fallacy! I had mice nest in them. Again, google it. They sell noise things that will deter mice, but don't prevent them. If they really want to drive you car, they will! ;)

Battery tender: Agreed. You don't want your battery freezing over the winter. It likely wouldn't anyway, but hey leave the car alarm armed...
Tires: Yes inflate. They will flat spot, but not permanently, so again why not.
Tires on concrete: Google it. fallacy
Gas tank: Stabilizer, yes. Full tank, yes. Less air/moisture in the tank. The tank is plastic now, but the pickup has metal parts.
Bounce sheets. Fallacy! I had mice nest in them. Again, google it. They sell noise things that will deter mice, but don't prevent them. If they really want to drive you car, they will! ;)
Agree with most of your points but not all....This is what I've done for a few years without issue:
add air pressure?? 35 psi??
- 1/4 tank of gas, + Stay:Bil fuel stabilizer?? (Google YouTube video's explaining why and what could happen if full)
- battery tender
- cold air intake? saran wrap??
- dryer sheets in exhaust, plus tin foil over top. around
car, inside and out.
- baking soda on passenger side floor or Silica Gel (bag) for Moisture
- don't put E brake on??

Regarding the topping up the fuel tank. That's something that was needed many yrs ago, but as technology has changed as well as plastic gas tanks, it's not recommended, especially for the C7 and C8 vette (many good articles and video's explaining why) This will avoid the risk of needed to remove the gas tank due to corrosion on the relays....
Do everything possible to keep critters out as much as possible. From working in the Auto Mfg. industry for 30 yrs, I know for a fact that all Wire harnesses are dipped in Vegetable Oil by the Wire Harness suppliers, which is why they attract mice etc.....which is why it's important to do as much as possible to keep them out.....

Regarding the topping up the fuel tank. That's something that was needed many yrs ago, but as technology has changed as well as plastic gas tanks, it's not recommended, especially for the C7 and C8 vette (many good articles and video's explaining why) This will avoid the risk of needed to remove the gas tank due to corrosion on the relays....
How does less full protect the relays?
The pick up is at the bottom and the sender floats.
(I'm lazy, I don't feel like googling it. ;) )

How does less full protect the relays?
The pick up is at the bottom and the sender floats.
(I'm lazy, I don't feel like googling it. ;) )
The relay that gets corrosion build up is submerged in gasoline when there is more than 1/4 of a tank of gas. I was surprised as well, but there are many people who needed their tank dropped to fix this. There is a video on YouTube showing this in detail and explaining how / why it happens, so it's not just somebodies opinion, but its factual info....Sorry I don't have the link, but it's easy to find if needed....

Reactions: Murray20c8
From page 285 in the owners manual.
1661785257441.png

The relay that gets corrosion build up is submerged in gasoline when there is more than 1/4 of a tank of gas. I was surprised as well, but there are many people who needed their tank dropped to fix this. There is a video on YouTube showing this in detail and explaining how / why it happens, so it's not just somebodies opinion, but its factual info....Sorry I don't have the link, but it's easy to find if needed....
This is just my two cents worth for you lucky guys with C8s.

The 1/4 tank of fuel was a REAL thing with C5, C6 and C7 where the sender gets screwed up sitting stationary in the fuel if the tank is full. I had a fuel gauge problem the first year with my 1999 and had to cure the sender problem using Chevron Techron in the spring to clean the contacts. Without the Techron I would have had to pull the tank or just guess how much fuel I had left. I have stored my C6 and C7 with only 1/4 tank and stabilizers with no problems. I only say this to caution the earlier Corvette owners and to explain why they should do this compared to the full tanks for other brands and years.

I have no knowledge or experience with C8s and do not know any thing about their fuel systems, but the American Corvette Forum says it is similar to the C7, like two saddle bags, so maybe the sender problems are similar. Maybe Tadge has the answer as to how much fuel during winter storage.

Another thing to consider, with at least the C8 and maybe the C7(?), is the fuel system is sealed, pressurized system to keep gasoline fumes from escaping.

Funny, Google has both answers. Personally I think if it's just for winter then it doesn't really matter.

Battery tender is a definite "to do" as there are a lot of electronics that are soaking up some juice even when sitting under a cover. Older cars without the electronics it might be better to remove the battery.

As to tire pressure I check mine every now and then for peace of mind and for something to do with the Vette over the six months. Definitely sitting on some rubber mats just so it is not right on the cement.

Fill the tank with 94 octane if there is some around (usually PetCan) and put in fuel stabilizer. Reason for that is that the older gas tanks were metal and you didn't want the humidity in the air rusting out the tank little by little over the years. Doubt that is needed now a days as the tanks are plastic. Nice peace of mind though. Also if there is any ethanol in the fuel it is not at all stable and will deteriorate. Usually 91/94 octane do not have ethanol/ Even nice "pure" gas will deteriorate and leave a coat of what looks like varnish on whatever it is in contact with. A full tank, or close to it, has less air to oxidize the fuel. Couple that with the stabilizer and you have done all you can unless you can take it out for a spin over the winter months. But then you have to was the crap off of it and let it fry before putting it away again.

As to water "remover" that, IMHO, is a bunch of crap. Never seen the level of fuel go down in the beaker when they did demonstrations at my old diesel haunts. Level always went up when they added the water "remover". With diesel the last thing you want is for water to get in to the injection system. The filter medium has been developed to resist water and make it sloth off the filter so that it can be drained from the filter.
So trying to force water through the system is nonsensical to begin with. Water and metal do not go well together. Especially tight tolerance metal parts.
If you have so much water that you "need" water remover then you had better drain the tank. We sold a water de-emulsifier to make any water in the fuel conglomerate and settle in the tank so it could be drained from there and not force it through water resistant filter medium.
Just plane logic. Keep water out of the fuel system. Don't see why anyone would want to force water through any fuel system, Gas system are more tolerant but the systems are now fuel "Injection" with a gas pressurizing pump (made by Stanadyne I believe) and injectors.
Just an FYI on the PetCan 94 Richard. It's ethanol blended as is all the PetCan fuel grades. Shell or Co-op 91 is the preferred Corvette fuel all the time here on the prairies, especially for storage.

Lots of guys worry about flat spotting the tires. I bump the pressure up to about 40 psi and park on 4 pieces of styrofoam SM. Whether it makes a difference or helps, I have no idea. The most important thing is to use a battery tender as it will be dead by spring if you don't. Also extends the life of your battery considerably.
That's all I do as well. On my 5th corvette and have done nothing different with no issues ever!!

Looking for recommendation. Should I park my Vette on anything over the winter like carpet or some sort of foam pad
To answer just the question, I isolate the tire from the cold/frozen concrete mass in unheated storage. Found this real easy solution at home depot and they work like a dream for parking on. Just right to give the separation that is needed … one under each tire … no fuss
Side note: The product is awesome for its purpose in basements too. 😁👍🏻
I have already hibernated my corvettes, i am somewhere else (enjoying fresh atlantic seafood) until at least thanksgiving).
A5A6987C-5557-49C0-AD2B-DB2D633DE589.jpeg
B423250F-2A5D-46D2-848C-02C2559C39D9.jpeg

This is what I do for my c7 “summer only” harder compound tires. My next replacement set will be All Season (like what the C8 gets as a standard from the factory) so this will be eventually something I will no longer be doing.

Last edited:
Never had problem with tires. I just pump them up to 40 psi.

You guys need to drive your cars. I drive mine every day. Almost 4000km on it.
I have been away from home working all summer and still have 2 months to go before this job is finished, by then it will be time to put it away for the winter...maybe next year i will get more seat time.