xviper

Casual User
Dec 20, 2014
ottawa
VetteCoins
Car
2014 C7 Z51
Well i took my 2016 in for a oil change at the first of the month, and also for the airbag flash, I also had the chance to take shop manager for a test drive to show him what i felt was a slip in 3rd gear while i was in manual mode using paddles .
in drive the car drives perfect, shifts good, doesn't matter if taking off like a turtle, fast acceleration..or smashing peddle to floor and making shifts at red line.
But pull the selector into manual, take off, all is good until 3rd then there is a small slip, not much..but its there. all other gears to 8 are working fine.
Well after having car all day, i received the dreaded call telling me my torque converter will be replaced, when.. they are not sure, problem is that GM will not replace it with the same that's in it now, that a new type of torque is in the process of being developed and i must wait for that.
just wondering if anyone else has heard of this problem..

Last edited by a moderator:
interesting problem. I know nothing about the new stuff, but being old school I would say the converter is OK, it's the brain not talking right to the tranny so something electrical in the sensors / mode etc ?? let us know how it turns out.

Holy! I have never heard this story before but will I ask around with my dealership contacts. I am very interested in the A8 for myself.

Yes, please keep us posted with any/all developments.

Cheers.
Dick

Well i took my 2016 in for a oil change at the first of the month, and also for the airbag flash, I also had the chance to take shop manager for a test drive to show him what i felt was a slip in 3rd gear while i was in manual mode using paddles .
in drive the car drives perfect, shifts good, doesn't matter if taking off like a turtle, fast acceleration..or smashing peddle to floor and making shifts at red line.
But pull the selector into manual, take off, all is good until 3rd then there is a small slip, not much..but its there. all other gears to 8 are working fine.
Well after having car all day, i received the dreaded call telling me my torque converter will be replaced, when.. they are not sure, problem is that GM will not replace it with the same that's in it now, that a new type of torque is in the process of being developed and i must wait for that.
just wondering if anyone else has heard of this problem..

I also have a slip or "bump" issue in Manual 3. With the drive selector in M ( manual) I launch the car using conservative throttle input , like you might on city streets, and by the time I get to 1600 or 1700 RPM in second gear I will paddle shift to 3rd and RPM drops back to about 1400 at the shift. I continue accelerating in 3rd and passing about 2200 RPM I get a "slip" or "bump" or something that feels like a momentary power loss then recovery. The more aggressive I accelerate the less noticeable this becomes. The best way to demonstrate this, something you can try , is to get into Manual 3rd gear without ever exceeding about 1800 RPM. Then drive in Manual 3rd at about 1500 RPM for a few hundred feet and then without being too aggressive start accelerating and see if you get this momentary slip issue around the 2200to 2400 RPM range.I am curious if this is the same issue you are having?
FYI at 24000km I was fed up enough with the shifting issues and took the car in for repairs , Feb 2016, ( I'm in Florida for the winter) and got a Torque Converter replacement which I was told was a new design as of about late 2015 or Jan 2016. It fixed the shift issues but NOT the M3 bump/slip issue. By May of 2016 at 32000km shifts were again deteriorating and this time the transmission was replaced. Shifts smoothed out again but the M3 bump/slip issue remains.

Please post or let me know if you ever get a fix to your M3 gear issue,

Thanks.

I agree with XFire. If there was something wrong with the torque converter, it would slip in every gear or at least first and second as well as third. This absolutely sounds like a programming/tuning issue in the TCM.

Definitely need to at least try a relearn. Easy enough for the dealer to do. If anyone is remotely interested there is a guy on youtube with a camaro, guitarmageddonzl1, and I remember him going through months and months of issues after some mods that sound very similar to your issues. His mechanic/tuner went nuts trying to resolve that issue. You would have to sift through his recent videos this year to find those videos. Hope I spelled his channel name correct. Hope you get it sorted.

With at least a couple of people here experiencing the same problem, I suspect that the problem comes right from the factory programming, so taking it to a dealer for a factory reflash is a waste of time until the issue is acknowledged and resolved. I would hope that some GM engineers would be aware of what is going on and would be working on a resolution. Do some searching through forums or google on the issue, or hassle your local dealer to dig into the issue.

I guess I would have to suggest taking it in for service with the complaint of what it is doing, and then refuse to sign off on the work order until it is resolved. Force them to escalate the problem until an engineer has to get involved. It is doubtful that a regular service technician is going to be able to resolve this issue if there is not an existing service bulletin to acknowledge the problem and give a solution.

My opinion is that a skilled tuner needs to have a look at the TCM programming to try to find the issue. Perhaps Manny's tuner Dave might be able to see something, but unfortunately I suspect that such an investigation would not be covered by warranty.

Reactions: Bixter44 and Tinman
With at least a couple of people here experiencing the same problem, I suspect that the problem comes right from the factory programming, so taking it to a dealer for a factory reflash is a waste of time until the issue is acknowledged and resolved. I would hope that some GM engineers would be aware of what is going on and would be working on a resolution. Do some searching through forums or google on the issue, or hassle your local dealer to dig into the issue.

I guess I would have to suggest taking it in for service with the complaint of what it is doing, and then refuse to sign off on the work order until it is resolved. Force them to escalate the problem until an engineer has to get involved. It is doubtful that a regular service technician is going to be able to resolve this issue if there is not an existing service bulletin to acknowledge the problem and give a solution.

My opinion is that a skilled tuner needs to have a look at the TCM programming to try to find the issue. Perhaps Manny's tuner Dave might be able to see something, but unfortunately I suspect that such an investigation would not be covered by warranty.

I agree probably not the TC as I am on my third with no change and second transmission ,no change.

I also have a slip or "bump" issue in Manual 3. With the drive selector in M ( manual) I launch the car using conservative throttle input , like you might on city streets, and by the time I get to 1600 or 1700 RPM in second gear I will paddle shift to 3rd and RPM drops back to about 1400 at the shift. I continue accelerating in 3rd and passing about 2200 RPM I get a "slip" or "bump" or something that feels like a momentary power loss then recovery. The more aggressive I accelerate the less noticeable this becomes. The best way to demonstrate this, something you can try , is to get into Manual 3rd gear without ever exceeding about 1800 RPM. Then drive in Manual 3rd at about 1500 RPM for a few hundred feet and then without being too aggressive start accelerating and see if you get this momentary slip issue around the 2200to 2400 RPM range.I am curious if this is the same issue you are having?
FYI at 24000km I was fed up enough with the shifting issues and took the car in for repairs , Feb 2016, ( I'm in Florida for the winter) and got a Torque Converter replacement which I was told was a new design as of about late 2015 or Jan 2016. It fixed the shift issues but NOT the M3 bump/slip issue. By May of 2016 at 32000km shifts were again deteriorating and this time the transmission was replaced. Shifts smoothed out again but the M3 bump/slip issue remains.

Yes I will keep you posted with the repair, wont be before the spring I would think

I will be taking mine in very late April when we are back from the South with the car. I am watching this thread as the " Northern " cars start to get up into the 15000km range.

I will post once I get any further info from our dealer and I might even get the opportunity to test drive another car in dealer inventory to use as a comparison.

I'm in the same situation as XVIPER. They reprogramed everything possible with nothing changing. The parts are on order and waiting. I took mine in about 2 weeks ago. No set time when they'll get the parts to complete the job and if will make a difference or not. Hopefully GM will have solved this soon enough.

I'm in the same situation as XVIPER. They reprogramed everything possible with nothing changing. The parts are on order and waiting. I took mine in about 2 weeks ago. No set time when they'll get the parts to complete the job and if will make a difference or not. Hopefully GM will have solved this soon enough.

I received a call from the dealer today saying my torque is at the dealership now, and they also had to order some non-reusable hardware, and that would be in 7-10 days, I was told I would get it done mid may, I hope this will fix the problem, will keep you posted.

Well last week I took it in to have t.c. replaced..did not fix the slip and bump in 3rd gear..when I received the call that it was done..i asked if it fixed the problem..was told "IT'S BETTER"...changing the t.c. did nothing..i brought it back a few days later and left it with them overnight..again I was told it's better..after getting it ...its still doing it..and was told it will always be there..the slip and bump...if your going to go as far as to change the t.c. you are agreeing with me there's a problem..and then after changing it..and still not fixed...you would think they would maybe replace transmission..instead of telling me it's always going to be there...i received a phone message to tell me I would be receiving a on line survey about my experience during my service..and there goal is 100% satisfaction..well up until now it's no where near 100%.

Thanks.
T.c was replaced...didnt fix the slip and bump...was told it will always be there..

This situation is not good... More and more we are hearing from A8 owners as the slip is starting to show up in their rides as well... GM will have to take notice pretty soon....

Also it goes from about 1400 to 1700 or so quite frequently and the dealer shop said it was normal last year, BS

There are 5 or more bulletins on it ranging from changing oil twice to replacing the torque converter
this is a mess and gym will have to replace most of them in less than 5 years

Just wait. Jeff

It is obviously a major design fault somewhere and these things are not a cheap Cruze or something so they bloody well better acknowledge and fix it. It is happening in mine as well. I know everyone says it happens in M and not D mode but I suspect in D mode it shifts up to 4th before the "bump" happens as D shifts up gears pretty rapidly at lowish RPM. To me it feels like a late locking up TC but why it would happen in 2 to 3 and not other gears seems strange in that case. I also notice when downshifting from 3 to 2 in M mode I get a bit of an over rev and the car actually speeds up for a split second before the tranny engages and you get proper engine braking effect. If i manually blip the throttle on the downshift right before downshifting myself it isn't as pronounced. For a high end car they sure screwed the pooch on this. Great quality control GM. :mad:

I received a call from the dealer today saying my torque is at the dealership now, and they also had to order some non-reusable hardware, and that would be in 7-10 days, I was told I would get it done mid may, I hope this will fix the problem, will keep you posted.
It's been awhile since I last responded.
Torque converter has been changed. 3rd gear bump is still there at about 2200-2500 RPM. They flushed out the Tranny 3 times process. Bump is still there. BUT.......... soon after ( approx. 1000km) NOW I get the feeling of going over rumble strips at 1800-2000 RPM. On any gear and on manual or auto mode. Whether you are accelerating or not. Now they are about to change the Torque converter tube. Parts on order. I really hope this works.

It's been awhile since I last responded.
Torque converter has been changed. 3rd gear bump is still there at about 2200-2500 RPM. They flushed out the Tranny 3 times process. Bump is still there. BUT.......... soon after ( approx. 1000km) NOW I get the feeling of going over rumble strips at 1800-2000 RPM. On any gear and on manual or auto mode. Whether you are accelerating or not. Now they are about to change the Torque converter tube. Parts on order. I really hope this works.

I hope they get this fixed for you. Some goofy design flaws never unfortunately get resolved. My Avalanche has a strange issue with the alchohol sensor that makes it burn very rich in the winter, burns more fuel and throws codes, shows alchohol content in fuel up to 50 percent, no dealer has been able to figure it out and many people online have the same issue. I refuse to spend a ton of money in various parts that "may" fix the issue. GM needs to start acknologing their ----ups! I understand that these things happen, but take responsibility and fix the issues, instead of just throwing parts at random on customers vehicles and hoping for the best. Best of luck Ken.

Reactions: Baby Ray
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.