Jul 25, 2012
Fraser Valley B.C.
VetteCoins
Car
2002 Convertible
Hi. next spring i will need new tires for the back, Read that the Michelin all seson non run flat is rated for 70,000 kms. Wondering if anybody is or has used them . Will they be patchable , will the ride be smoother or rougher or should I stay and get michelin A/S run flats instead?

Why all season???

No you can't patch run flats. For same money you can buy 4 nittos... Just saying.

Others will weigh in I'm sure but michelins are way over priced and over rated in my opinion.

The tires will only last as good as your alignment and as easy as your pedal foot.

An acquaintance of mine, who has been in the tire business for a long time, told me not to waste my money on the run flat tires. He had good things to say about the Michelins. His argument was that you hardly ever see a car on the side of the road with a flat tire so why pay the premium for run flats. We have the Goodyear run flat tires on our Corvette and they are terribly noisy. OK otherwise. I just want quiet tires that will last. Not being the gambling type, I'd look at the Michelin AS run flats.

A55 I know you can't patch run flats, I'm considering "non" run flats. Which I've heard could br repaired even on the side of the road with a good plug kit or a slime flimr bottlr of compressed air and compressor which will not hurt the air pressurre sensors.Everything I've read is the ride quality is much better than the stock Goodyear still on the car. The prices Ive seen for the michelin are at least 30% cheaper than run flat Good year. The reason for wanting to go the all seasons is that their wear life expextancy is almost 30,000 km more than summer tire even over the summer Michelins. Also don't understand why th burning sensation an d the need for traction control on. Even If I just do with Just plain summer non run flats for that case I will be happy. Have Michelins on my Honda and just love them and feel very safe with them on.Do the Michelins smell like burning rubber when the traction is not on? Or does the car need a whheel alignment redone because of the all seasons?.
Thanks.....

Last edited:
Tires are mostly preference. I've had michelins also and never had the desire to go back. Most vette guys, including the ones here, prefer Nittos or other brands.

I never said anything about traction control. If you plant the pedal, the tires simply aren't going to last as long.

Different alignments can be used to tailor handling characteristics and different cars can consume or save tires accordingly.

Personally, when driving a world class high performance car, how long the tires last for me is less important than if they are able to translate the performance of the car to the road.

To each their own.

I like Nittos--have Hankooks now, but need to put some KMs on them before commenting.

I wanted to get away from the noisy runflats. I had Giidyears--and heard the Michelins were "a little" better. The price couldn't justify the change.
[mob][/mob]

AA it was 427 Carl that said rraction control must be on with all season Michelins. For me it's both a smoother ride issue and also, why pay more for a tire that will only last half as long.

I was teasing!!! :canada: The Michelins ( on a 'Vette) will last a long long time... Every Vette will but down the tires if you want ... I was teasing

You should look at the Hankook Ventus V12's for a smoother ride. A lot of guys are saying they have a soft sidewall so I'm assuming they have a smooth ride as well. I don't think they wear that fast either, just a really good all around tire.

My wife just put Falken 452's on her Mustang. She moved up from 20's in the rear to 22's and kept the 20's in the front. We were worried about the ride but it feels a lot smoother now than the BF G-Force tires that were on before and they are definitely less harsh over bumps (the old tires were 7 years old). Anyway, the Falken's are cheap and I'm really impressed by the performance. They definitely won't break the budget compared to the more expensive tires out there. I think I'm either hitting up the Hankook's or 452's next year when I replace the rubber.

So far the Hankooks are decent for me Ryley. Wish I had more experience to compare them to.

I also went 1-inch bigger in the front and rears. The Hankooks so far give a better ride than my old Goodyears. They're sticky too! I actually take off my traction control now. It seems to come on too easily now.

I dunno if the Hankooks are the best, but if the rest of their life goes like this, you'll be happy with them, sir.
[mob][/mob]

So far the Hankooks are decent for me Ryley. Wish I had more experience to compare them to.

I also went 1-inch bigger in the front and rears. The Hankooks so far give a better ride than my old Goodyears. They're sticky too! I actually take off my traction control now. It seems to come on too easily now.

I dunno if the Hankooks are the best, but if the rest of their life goes like this, you'll be happy with them, sir.
[mob][/mob]

Awesome. Thanks for the update on your impression!

I hope that they realize they are installed on the rear of your Corvette when they make that claim. They wouldn't last that long on mine!