Ntmd8r

RIP
You're a Regular 2 You're 10
Jan 27, 2009
Richmond, B.C.
VetteCoins
Sorry.....
Before, we could see much of the site on the main page.
Now we have to scroll down a looooooonnnnnnng page to see the different sub-forums.
Where is the "Latest Posts" link ?, which makes it easy to see all the unread posts at once.

On threads that I have already read, but may have some new replies, I generally hit the time stamp under the last poster, and maybe have to scroll back a couple to the last unread post... No big deal....

On threads that I have already read, but may have some new replies, I generally hit the time stamp under the last poster, and maybe have to scroll back a couple to the last unread post... No big deal....

I'm having real trouble recreating this one. Can you let me know what browser/version you're using (if it's Internet Explorer go to the Settings->About Internet Explorer other browsers usually have an About page also where the version is printed)?

i find the new format very "clumsy". If I/we need bigger fonts we can adjust our own viewing device. Keep it clean, streamlined and simple. Take a look at any other forum out there, even the larger Corvette forum and take some ideas...........they got it right.

Sorry but need to disagree. If you mean they got it right because they leave behind 15 tracking cookies, serve you 450 individual side banner ads, pop under ads, post ads, banner ads, spyware + every kind of ad on each visit. Then yes they got it right. I honestly don't find anything 'clean' about the other large forums (maybe I'm in a minority) and I'm not just saying this as a knee jerk reaction to CCF's recent transformation.

My personal experience of other forums is the equivalent of watching the news in a 3 inch window in the bottom right hand corner of the shopping channel. Not to mention their menus are disconnected and strewn across multiple levels. Granted they're in the business of selling ads more than running a community but I digress :)

Having said that I am working on reducing the overall font sizes a little here. In the mean time the ctrl - (minus) keys usually do the trick in your browser and will zoom out and reduce the forum sizes overall.

CCF's layout is different and I'd like to say proudly so. Focus is to bring text and conversation to the forefront rather than hide it behind layers of ads. This is one of the reasons why fonts are larger than what you may have seen elsewhere. Not to mention it's a nice change if you stare at a screen all day long.

We're also the 'fastest' forum by faaar. I can repeatedly render this forum in under 1.5 seconds all day long irrespective of the load. This is in part due to the fact that we don't serve a millions ads and in part because we chose to prioritize content over images (and kick arse hardware helps:)). I have scaled the load to over 4 million transactions per day with very marginal increase in response times. Obviously too much traffic is one of the 'good' problems to have.

Last edited:
Reactions: Somebuddy
Nik said:
CCF's layout is different and I'd like to say proudly so. Focus is to bring text and conversation to the forefront rather than hide it behind layers of ads. This is one of the reasons why fonts are larger than what you may have seen elsewhere. Not to mention it's a nice change if you stare at a screen all day long.

You get no argument from any of us there, Nik.
But.... and I said this earlier... I think there is too much space between elements. Just reducing the wasted/extra space by about 30%
would make the pages crisper, with less scrolling. (IMHO)

Reactions: vintageracer
You get no argument from any of us there, Nik.
But.... and I said this earlier... I think there is too much space between elements. Just reducing the wasted/extra space by about 30%
would make the pages crisper, with less scrolling. (IMHO)

Yep, still working on this, I've been gradually reducing spacing since last night, it's subtle right now but give it another day and you'll notice. :)

Reactions: Ntmd8r
Sorry.....
Before, we could see much of the site on the main page.
Now we have to scroll down a looooooonnnnnnng page to see the different sub-forums.
Where is the "Latest Posts" link ?, which makes it easy to see all the unread posts at once.
It'll take a while to get used to it for sure and I feel your pain. Stick with it ........ it'll grow on you.

Look for a red line near the top with "Mark Forums Read", "Search Forums" etc the last of which is "New Posts".
Nik is working on mods all the time and will take your comments into account.

Thanks for sticking with it.

Colin.