Absence of heat is zero kelvin. Not sure it's actually possible. Wherever there is light there is "some" heat.
You are better to be in no atmosphere and no heat than in NWT with no heat. Outer space is a nice place to be! ;)

Absence of heat is zero kelvin. Not sure it's actually possible. Wherever there is light there is "some" heat.
You are better to be in no atmosphere and no heat than in NWT with no heat. Outer space is a nice place to be!
Absolute zero is theoretically impossible due to Heisenberg‘s uncertainty principle. So there is hope for us yet !
For those who may care this is a good explanation.
lot of cold spots right now. Check Peace River which is 1,000 km south of us . Jesus, four cool nights.
IMG_1600.png

lot of cold spots right now. Check Peace River which is 1,000 km south of us . Jesus, four cool nights. View attachment 118671
No thank you!! Damn that's cold!
I can't recall being that cold since the early 70's when the rad froze on our '69ish Dodge Monaco. It was -40 that night C or F! ;)

Reactions: 1st Vette
No thank you!! Damn that's cold!
I can't recall being that cold since the early 70's when the rad froze on our '69ish Dodge Monaco. It was -40 that night C or F! ;)
Chatting with the Missus we figured a, it was a 68 Monaco. B, it was a Christmas eve. Forget the year, but we had to make 3 stops for water trying to get the car home. Newly weds so likely '77 or '78. Damn it was cold. In the words of Mr. T. "Pity the fool" who has to be out in that weather.

View attachment 118691
Coldest I've been in was -52.3 Celsius. That was without wind chill. At that temperature our drillers had to start greasing things with gelled diesel fuel as all the grease froze. Metal just snaps. It's ugly.
Enough to make you pull out your BIG parka and fur lined jock strap. You know you want one.

How cold was it ? Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey.
You know what that is right?

Used to describe cold weather, this saying derives from the traditional Navy phrase "cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey". This references the brass structure or 'monkey' where cannon balls were stacked.

The monkey would shrink and the balls could no longer stay stacked.

You know what that is right?

Used to describe cold weather, this saying derives from the traditional Navy phrase "cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey". This references the brass structure or 'monkey' where cannon balls were stacked.

The monkey would shrink and the balls could no longer stay stacked.
Brass and iron. It’s relative to the coefficient of linear expansion of course.

View attachment 118691
Coldest I've been in was -52.3 Celsius. That was without wind chill. At that temperature our drillers had to start greasing things with gelled diesel fuel as all the grease froze. Metal just snaps. It's ugly.
Yup. That's chilly. I was doing the engineering for an oilfield project up north on the Wapiti River many years back. It hit -45 and we gassed up at a station and checked the oil. Was a quart low. That was back when the oil was kept outside on a rack by the pumps. We grabbed a can, stuck the pour spot through the top and tipped it up....Hmmmm... no oil... Yup there was oil but it so cold it was the consistency of grease. We cut the top right off the can and still couldn't pour it. Had to leave the truck running and set it in on the engine until it thawed out.
Another thing came to light when we got to the project site. Got out to take a leak and noticed before I could get my zipper up it was a totally frozen pool of ice on the ground. Last thing i always remember was at -50, when you spit, it shatters when it hits the ground....

Was only -41 here this morning. Couple more days and we are suppose to start warming up. Couch potato until then....Lost power yesterday for a couple hours. Glad I had a wood stove. News said a couple of natural gas generator stations cratered and due to the high power demand there was no reserve power. They are asking Alberta to limit power use now. Shut down our furnaces so people can plug in their EV's.... lol... Quite the testimonial how a power grid is going to cope with 100 million EV's on the road once Justin realizes his dream.... :(

@Rruuff Day clearly you did not have your solar panels angles properly nor did you give your wind generator a push start. It will all work out I am sure. :)

We are sitting about minus 12 this morning, very heavy snow early morning can't get the blower to start we have called in the army for help.

Said it before but say it again you folks need to take care of yourselves, do your best to stay warm.