Power User
Jan 11, 2009
Saska-ba-toon!
VetteCoins
Car
2000 Z51
Province
SK
Doesn't really matter which it is and it also makes me wonder why I want more hp....
On my way to work today, I turn right and go onto a road that has a curve to it and I'm trying to get moving to stay out of the way of the traffic as the light for the cross traffic turned green as I was turning. I realize it's a curve and it's best to not accelerate along a curve but the sun's out, it's nice and dry out and the birds are singing. Pretty doable in the Vette to keep ahead of everyone if you want. I get up to speed in first and give a quick shift to second as the car is moving along around the curve when the rear gives a really quick but small snap to the left. Sure enough, I look down and the Active Handling light is on and my thought is, it actually works!.....and I really need to learn how to be a better driver.....and if the AH/TC worked this quickly, what's with all the You Tube videos.... Anyway, this is the first time I've ever had it come on where something potentially could have happened as I've had it come on before where I know I am noooooooowhere near anything happening. So anyway, yay for TC/AH today.

Reactions: LSXtasy
The old "pucker factor" really makes you appreciate traction control. It is so nice to have and in a situation like that. Things could've gone horribly wrong but thanks to the traction nanny, you're unscathed. Good to hear that you're okay Riley.

For sure. It's my hope that I never need stuff like this but it's nice to know it's there and a reason I never shut it off. So far the extent of the rear stepping out has been limited to more of a soft swaying when getting onto the highway but it's never snapped over. Yuck.
Two things I should remember:
If you're going to accelerate hard, make sure your tires are straight.
Don't upset the car by shifting quickly while going around a corner.

There was something else about if the tires are spinning and the car starts to go a bit sideways, stay in the throttle until it straightens out....??? But honestly, I don't have enough experience with spinning tires on dry pavement to know....but I do know if the car is going sideways and you get out of the throttle, it really does want to snap back quickly in the other direction..... Anyway, I wish there was a place to practice this stuff to have fun and get better at driving, knowing the feeling before the car breaks loose and how to control it if something does happen. Winter is great for fooling around but the car reacts much slower and is easy to catch.

Riley.. great to hear it is working for you.
Get to an autocross course and try your car out.
Some autocross clubs have slalom schools at least once/year.
At these schools they can set up any scenario you wish to practice.
There is a slalom school here on Saturday.
A couple from our club are the instructors.

graham

Last edited:
Hahahaha Bill! Not what I had in mind and I doubt I could ever pull that off.

Thanks for the suggestion Graham. There's a couple track days by Regina on a cart track which would be good to get some experience.

Had a similar experience coming back from one of our Mud street meets a couple years back in my GS which had about 614 to the wheels:
Merged from Mud str. onto Red Hill Valley Parkway/ Lincoln Alexander Pkwy. which just happens to be where there is a nice long sweeping curve to the right ----- All was well while passing a slow moving 18 wheeler, until my automatic kicked down a cog or 2 and started to kick sideways. Yes Riley -- thank God for Traction Control --
I'm pretty sure I would have gone sideways (in heavy traffic) with dire results.

Needless to say I drove in 'manual mode' from then on.:)

Hey Riley do you know about Competitive Driving Mode? On my Z06 I just hold the active handling button down for 5 seconds or so and it goes into this Competition mode. It allows some wheelspin which is fun but it won't let the car go into a tailspin. Try it out!

Hey CLVTCH. Thanks for the heads up. I know about the CM but hardly ever put it on. The reason is unlike your Competition Mode where you can turn it on while moving, the 2000 and older models have to be stopped and holding the button for 5 seconds to engage so it's not as easy to turn on.

That's one thing I'll never understand. You can turn off the entire system with a quick press of the button any time but to turn off only part of it, you have to be stopped and holding the button down. :rofl:
Maybe that is why they changed it in 2001.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.