Found this. There are several other tutorials that show basically the same thing. Not sure where the module is located in the C8 but it can’t be that hard to find.
Much like our combines now. JD newer rigs especially tracks every acre you combine, speed you go and quantity you harvest... Big Brother for sure...

Much like our combines now. JD newer rigs especially tracks every acre you combine, speed you go and quantity you harvest... Big Brother for sure...
I used to encounter this with generators the last several years that I was contracting . The newer units had gone to ECM type controls with a proprietary interface connection and proprietary software which of course you had to connect a laptop running the software to troubleshoot or “ reboot “ the control firmware. So that works really well when they are installed in a remote location in the far north hundreds or thousands of kilometres from any road. Only option is to fly in one of the manufacturers techs at ridiculous cost for the simplest issue.
So the one positive thing for some was that the value of NOS or well maintained used units went up. I only had issues one time because the customer insisted on new units in a new camp we built because ” well they are the latest so they must be better “ . They found out differently when it hit them where it hurts. Oh , and they were JD .

• Wow
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
I've got a 2019 'Ray, and I can tell you that I've searched (and searched, and searched) for that OnStar puppy for quite a while, and haven't found it anywhere. I was initially told it was at, or near, the connection box at the battery cubby, or located next to the rear wheel well(s). Nope, didn't find it. Has anybody ever actually found the OnStar module on a C7, and if so can I get pointed in the right direction. And if anyone has a pic of the actual module where the wiring connector harness plugs in, that would be great - maybe I've seen the thing, but didn't recognize it. My previous daily driver, a Terrain, had it located to the left rear of the spare tire well, and it was marked with the OS logo. Easy to pull the plug, so to speak.

Is this happening in Canada and is it legal here?

On a personal opinion basis only….I would be surprised, even shocked, if it wasn’t going on. Generous Motors Canada is known to be able to squeeze a nickel ‘til the beaver defecates. Even if they don’t sell my data, I don’t see why I should allow any company (or government) to keep their eyes on me as a law-abiding citizen.

Last edited:
Has anyone removed this from our OnStar yet?
Found this. Apparently the setup has changed since the C7 . It appears that there is no longer the “ box” with the three cables connected. Looks to be a pain to deal with.
On the U.S. corvette forum search for how-to-remove-onstar-the-right-way

Last edited by a moderator:
Removed what exactly?
The antenna or the module.
I'm 50/50 on whether I'd want to remove it. OnStar could help in case of a theft of the car.
Once a month a female voice tells me it's limited.
You have no choice as you are paying for it in the price of the car. You might as well use all the features like starting the car from your phone etc.

On a personal opinion basis only….I would be surprised, even shocked, if it wasn’t going on. Generous Motors Canada is known to be able to squeeze a nickel‘til the beaver defecates. Even if they don’t sell my data, I don’t se why I should allow any company (or government) to keep their eyes on me as a law-abiding citizen.
You bet they are. It’s been proven. Nobody reads the EULA . For anything, they just click on install in the case of software for example. Caveat Emptor . This is the GM privacy policy from 2023 , the most recent version I could find, and I doubt it has improved. Read it and weep.

Last edited by a moderator:
Found this. Apparently the setup has changed since the C7 . It appears that there is no longer the “ box” with the three cables connected. Looks to be a pain to deal with.
On the U.S. corvette forum search for how-to-remove-onstar-the-right-way
I'd just remove the antenna. It will not work without the antenna.

1710876262569.png

Reactions: 1st Vette
Gilles27 said: You need to disable/remove smart driver on OnStar but be aware that if you bring your car into service it will be re activated most likely

After briefly reading through the step-by-steps from the url/link 1stVette posted, which actually involves removal of the circuit that houses/controls OnStar, I don't think they'd ever be able to just willy-nilly reactivate it, since the procedure to completely remove that surveillance system requires the removal of the OnStar dedicated "daughter board" from the larger printed circuit board. Even if a dealership actually noticed the disabled OnStar (unlikely bordering on just plain improbable) they'd have to (1) requisition and receive a new daughter-board (2) have a tech spend high-cost shop time to install it with a zero possibility of recouping that cost from the customer for the labour and materials.

Gilles27 said: You need to disable/remove smart driver on OnStar but be aware that if you bring your car into service it will be re activated most likely

After briefly reading through the step-by-steps from the url/link 1stVette posted, which actually involves removal of the circuit that houses/controls OnStar, I don't think they'd ever be able to just willy-nilly reactivate it, since the procedure to completely remove that surveillance system requires the removal of the OnStar dedicated "daughter board" from the larger printed circuit board. Even if a dealership actually noticed the disabled OnStar (unlikely bordering on just plain improbable) they'd have to (1) requisition and receive a new daughter-board (2) have a tech spend high-cost shop time to install it with a zero possibility of recouping that cost from the customer for the labour and materials.
Agreed. Most likely a permanent solution. I would retain the daughter board though in the event of unforeseen issues. That’s the dilemma with On Star though, it can or could be very useful to some in certain circumstances but way too intrusive and outright creepy to me.

The antenna or the module.
I'm 50/50 on whether I'd want to remove it. OnStar could help in case of a theft of the car.
Once a month a female voice tells me it's limited.
You have no choice as you are paying for it in the price of the car. You might as well use all the features like starting the car from your phone etc.
True, or in an accident situation in an isolated area for example but as far as theft goes third party tracking is available but the good ones are subscription based but then again so is On Star . At least the third party solutions aren’t spying on you. Or at least not to the extent of GM . What’s really annoying to me is that the issue exists at all. You can start the car with the fob without On Star to the best of my knowledge , or can you not ?

. You can start the car with the fob without On Star to the best of my knowledge , or can you not ?
You can. I can't remember all the benefits of the "forced on 2024+ cars", but you can check tire pressure etc. also.
To me it's all gimmicks which is why I didn't even take the free trial. I hate OnStar.
On my 2014 Malibu when you cancelled it a voice came on the radio LOUD stating OnStar was disabled (or some such) EVERY time we started the car! It took several angry phone calls and escalations to get it (OnStar?) disabled (I hope) lol.

You can. I can't remember all the benefits of the "forced on 2024+ cars", but you can check tire pressure etc. also.
To me it's all gimmicks which is why I didn't even take the free trial. I hate OnStar.
On my 2014 Malibu when you cancelled it a voice came on the radio LOUD stating OnStar was disabled (or some such) EVERY time we started the car! It took several angry phone calls and escalations to get it (OnStar?) disabled (I hope) lol.
I installed the my Chevrolet app , punched in my vin and all good, got the welcome bit and immediately it asked for my precise location, lol . So I declined and it brings up the main menu and I tap on location ( of the vehicle I assume) of course it says press the On Star button. Not happening. I am digging out my multi screwdriver set and soldering iron if necessary preparing for delivery. Tire pressure and temperature can be selected to display on the main screen I believe and surely you wouldn’t need the Spyware enabled for that.

Tire pressure and temperature can be selected to display on the main screen I believe and surely you wouldn’t need the Spyware enabled for that.
Yup, that's why I say it's all gimmicks.
But. you paid for it so check it out since you can't disable it. Easily anyway.

Reactions: 1st Vette
I've got a 2019 'Ray, and I can tell you that I've searched (and searched, and searched) for that OnStar puppy for quite a while, and haven't found it anywhere. I was initially told it was at, or near, the connection box at the battery cubby, or located next to the rear wheel well(s). Nope, didn't find it. Has anybody ever actually found the OnStar module on a C7, and if so can I get pointed in the right direction. And if anyone has a pic of the actual module where the wiring connector harness plugs in, that would be great - maybe I've seen the thing, but didn't recognize it. My previous daily driver, a Terrain, had it located to the left rear of the spare tire well, and it was marked with the OS logo. Easy to pull the plug, so to speak.
Since everyone else appears to be talking C8 module, I will answer your question. The C7 module is locate behind the glove box. Rumour has it you need to remove the kick panel, get your head down on the floor and look up. Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread