So, stay out of Washington state.
That'll never float, as it violates the 1st, 4th, and 5th, US Constitutional Amendments.
The inside of your car is not a pubic place. You have a resasonable expectation of privacy while in it.
Even the police have a "probable cause" threshold to meet, for search and seizure.
Someone will challenge it, even the ACLU, or Judicial Watch, the moment it becomes an issue.
IMHO.

As far as GM vehicles go, a question would be how? and at what point? such recordings/data would be obtained by the manufacturer.
As it is perhaps involving infotainment, might it perhaps be by OnStar or would it be thru just Car Play and Android Auto Apps of sort? (With those “agree to” setup buttons)
Method of Connectivity would be valuable to know if it is via using personal cell phone connections or via the one within the vehicle itself (for OnStar). So much speculation that just has me wondering 🤔
(part reasoning why I have never agreed for my dealer to subscribe any of my new vehicles to OnStar on delivery - I find it to be a money-grab and too compromising with very little value). JMO

As far as GM vehicles go, a question would be how? and at what point? such recordings/data would be obtained by the manufacturer.
As it is perhaps involving infotainment, might it perhaps be by OnStar or would it be thru just Car Play and Android Auto Apps of sort?
Method of Connectivity would be valuable to know if it is via using personal cell phone connections or via the one within the vehicle itself (for OnStar). So much speculation that just has me wondering 🤔
(part reasoning why I have never agreed for my dealer to subscribe any of my new vehicles to OnStar on delivery - I find it to be a money-grab and too compromising with very little value). JMO
Big Brother is always watching. Just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean they aren’t out to get you, lol .

• Indifferent
Reactions: 12cents and YFCvii
Big Brother is always watching. Just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean they aren’t out to get you, lol .
Defining it as paranoia ? … yyssw.
rather diligent, educated and never ever a passive minion in regard to personal data collection …

experience with having to proactively divert Personal information compromise following the disclosure of an Employment Data Ransom attempt in 2022/2023. Time consuming and So far, so good 🙏🏻 certain means of evolving data collection is really nothing to be passive about - if this auto speculation is even true. JMO

Last edited:
They already know every move we make with our cell phones and all the cameras on the streets.
Everyone should use a paid VPN on all of their connected devices and only use location services ( tracking ) when necessary. As well as a good antivirus of course. This mitigates a lot of privacy concerns. Then again it seems that a lot of people just don’t care. So sad.

• Agree
Reactions: Vettenut and YFCvii
Defining it as paranoia ? … yyssw.
rather diligent, educated and never ever a passive minion in regard to personal data collection …

experience with having to proactively divert Personal information compromise following the disclosure of an Employment Data Ransom attempt in 2022/2023. Time consuming and So far, so good 🙏🏻 certain means of evolving data collection is really nothing to be passive about - if this auto speculation is even true. JMO

OnStar, your location, and your privacy​

OnStar, your location, and your privacy​

Topic of all my responses was in context to the original topic of “recording phone calls and texts”. However …

If thieves can do it, I would think that OnStar can be disabled in seconds. Method of disabling transmission of onstar data for particular c-gens might make for good threads if OnStar even goes to this 😂 just saying

Reactions: 1st Vette
Do some of you guys have a subscription to use Onstar?? I don't hence I don't have it activated in my cars. I do hear new C8 cars purchased must have Onstar activated or something but for me wasn't the case in 2019 for my current car and 2009 for my Z06.
I do not have onstar in 5 new vehicles since 2015.
Thinking all EVs might require similar services like this for “life support”. My c7 is not connected and gets nothing automatic from onstar. Last thing they said on my 2015 Sierra was “please place vehicle in an unobstructed location so that we can disable your services” 😂👍🏻 … dealer south of YYC set up first year without me knowing. After-which I have never disclosed my email address to a dealership. Wonder if they can just use a text number now as I have not purchased a vehicle since 2019. Thinking c8 requires the service but I would try to not have it and have a dealer do applicable updates with oil changes. It will be a part of my journey when considering a new c-gen in the future.

Last edited:
Even our 2014 Malibu had OnStar activated without our consent. A voice used to come on LOUD every time we started the car saying Onstar was deactivated
It wasn't until I screamed loud enough, to enough representatives, that it is totally disabled. Now to get even they scramble the time on the clock every once in a while ;)

On the C8, however, a voice comes on once a month telling us Onstar is active in some limited way (I paraphrase). I bet if I scream loud enough again it could be disabled totally.

Reactions: YFCvii
Tinfoil hats. That's the answer to keep them from reading your mind....lol... Speaking of, When I'm golfing with a cart, lots of courses now don't even let the carts on the fairway which defeats the purpose of a power cart if you have to park on the cart path and walk to the other side of the fairway. If you try to go on the fairway, the GPS slows your cart down to barely moving. But there is an answer. An 8 inch piece of tinfoil wrapped around the GPS antenna on the cart and you're all set to go anywhere you want... No cart slow down, no big brother tracking you....right up until the course marshal finds you.... :Biggrin:

• Agree
Reactions: OL Yeller
Found this. There are several other tutorials that show basically the same thing. Not sure where the module is located in the C8 but it can’t be that hard to find.

Reactions: Vettenut

Users who are viewing this thread