Unfortunately my engineering discipline was civil but why couldn't you just splice an on/off toggle in the hot ignition starter wire. Mount it under the dash somewhere out of sight and voilà ....And no.... I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night either....
Don’t see any reason why not . There are a number of ways to prevent the vehicle from starting , question is which is the most practical. I do like the idea for peace of mind if nothing else. For your suggestion as well all you would need is a radio frequency controlled relay . Not a difficult thing to do. And quite inexpensive to boot. Pulling a fuse or two would work but would be a pain in the butt every time. Much easier to just push a button.

Age is just a state of mind and and I would venture to guess that most if not all Corvette owners on here are in their mid 20s especially when behind the wheel ... I'm barely a few days over 16 ... but thats another story ;)
My comment wasn't referring to his intellectual age, but his physical age, and it's effects on the viability of diy projects requiring more "youthful" strength, flexibility, and agility. Sorry, I thought that was obvious.
Behind the wheel we all regress, me included.

Unfortunately my engineering discipline was civil but why couldn't you just splice an on/off toggle in the hot ignition starter wire. Mount it under the dash somewhere out of sight and voilà ....And no.... I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night either....
Would probably void the warranty. Gotta be careful, early days, with what you decide to "mod".

My comment wasn't referring to his intellectual age, but his physical age, and it's effects on the viability of diy projects requiring more "youthful" strength, flexibility, and agility. Sorry, I thought that was obvious.
Behind the wheel we all regress, me included.
Probably a good thing lol . :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Agree
Reactions: Vettenut
Don’t see any reason why not . There are a number of ways to prevent the vehicle from starting , question is which is the most practical. I do like the idea for peace of mind if nothing else. For your suggestion as well all you would need is a radio frequency controlled relay . Not a difficult thing to do. And quite inexpensive to boot. Pulling a fuse or two would work but would be a pain in the butt every time. Much easier to just push a button.
Do you have your car yet? Just curious.
I thought you had some troubles with the order (dealer screwed it up) last year, and had to start over.
If not, when it arrives, you'll be better able to figure out what you can, and can't, do with it.
Whether it's any planned start up mods, or just figuring out what it can, and can't, do.
I'm already wishing I had taken at least a "Coles Notes" engineering degree, before mine arrived last November.
I learn something new (whether I want to, or not) about this automotive technological marvel every day I drive it, and I do drive it a lot.

Do you have your car yet? Just curious.
I thought you had some troubles with the order (dealer screwed it up) last year, and had to start over.
If not, when it arrives, you'll be better able to figure out what you can, and can't, do with it.
Whether it's any planned start up mods, or just figuring out what it can, and can't, do.
I'm already wishing I had taken at least a "Coles Notes" engineering degree, before mine arrived last November.
I learn something new (whether I want to, or not) about this automotive technological marvel every day I drive it, and I do drive it a lot.
They built the correct spec this time and the vehicle has been in Edmonton since Friday. I’m booked to go down May 13 , pick it up the next day. I’ll know better which way to go with a possible contactor/relay solution when I get my hands on it. I don’t see any possible way the vehicle could be damaged by disconnecting the battery which is all you are doing by installing a contactor inline with the battery negative. Nothing cut and it can be easily reverted to the way it was in about 15 minutes.

They built the correct spec this time and the vehicle has been in Edmonton since Friday. I’m booked to go down May 13 , pick it up the next day. I’ll know better which way to go with a possible contactor/relay solution when I get my hands on it. I don’t see any possible way the vehicle could be damaged by disconnecting the battery which is all you are doing by installing a contactor inline with the battery negative. Nothing cut and it can be easily reverted to the way it was in about 15 minutes.
So, it's almost a reality? Congrats.
It's soon to be your car, and your warranty.
You've already suggested it would be the proverbial "sore thumb" on the back of a flatbed headed south.
It will be insured, and it has plenty of anti-theft built in, including OnStar (the bane of privacy zealots).
So, why bother?
Still, it's your car, your warranty.

So, it's almost a reality? Congrats.
It's soon to be your car, and your warranty.
You've already suggested it would be the proverbial "sore thumb" on the back of a flatbed headed south.
It will be insured, and it has plenty of anti-theft built in, including OnStar (the bane of privacy zealots).
So, why bother?
Still, it's your car, your warranty.
Thanks . I won’t always have it here there are road trips to be taken. I mean if it’s relatively easy and inexpensive to do why not ? Thieves even if they figured it out wouldn’t be able to overcome it in a hurry so would most likely move on to their next target. They would have to access the frunk have a couple of the right tools disconnect reconnect etc . I’m still mulling it over. Might be another one of those ideas that you end up abandoning but I still like the relative simplicity.

Reactions: Rruuff Day
Thanks . I won’t always have it here there are road trips to be taken. I mean if it’s relatively easy and inexpensive to do why not ? Thieves even if they figured it out wouldn’t be able to overcome it in a hurry so would most likely move on to their next target. They would have to access the frunk have a couple of the right tools disconnect reconnect etc . I’m still mulling it over. Might be another one of those ideas that you end up abandoning but I still like the relative simplicity.
The perps would be more likely to steal an expensive 4X4 SUV next door, than a C8.
Not too many autobahns in Africa, that I'm aware.
Plenty of off road experience to be had, I believe.

Reactions: 1st Vette

Users who are viewing this thread