Jun 9, 2015
pickering
VetteCoins
Car
C8 2lt HTC
Province
ON
Which one would you pick ? We must be fair being in a Corvette forum.

corvette or jag2.jpg corvette or jag.jpg

I spent a few months last year looking for a Jag F-Type R before I changed to the C8. I was pricing myself into the mid 80's for a three year old Jag , discovered the C8 and never looked back.
The car shown here appears to be a type S with a V6, so not in the same performance category.
The Jag is still a very nice looking car, I like this model better than the current refresh version.
No regrets at changing my choice though.

Pretty much same as what @Mach147 said. I always liked the look of the Jag F-Type, when it came out it turned a lot of heads, sleek lines, modern interior, nice looking 2-seater. I took my son to the dealership and was even more impressed with the sales guy who let us sit in one and never pressured us or stood over us to make a sale. Said he treated all his customers like that, where many of them come around to kick the tires and then come back months or a year later to finally purchase it. This was just prior to and leading up the the C8 launch.

I think like quite of a few who liked the F-Type, the C8 stole those customers away from Jag, myself included. If I knew I had to wait another 2 years for the C8, would definitely pick myself up a used one to toy around with. Had plans to purchase a used Aston Martin Vantage too, but too scared about maintenance cost.

However like many have also said, the Jag is a sports car, where as the C8 has the supercar looks. If I pulled up in front of a classy downtown Mtl restaurant with valet parking in front, they would not allow the Jag but would likely allow the C8 next to the exotics and Range Rovers.

Coming from a guy who appreciates vettes but never owned one (until my future C8), I like both cars, but obviously the C8 more now.

Back when the Jag was still available with a manual, I compared it with the C7, and it was around the same price for a V6 Jag vs a base Stingray. Having had Vette's for almost 40 years and having also owned both a British sports car (MGB) and Porsche (928), the reliability and parts costs of a GM vs an import is far more affordable. So I'm very happy with my C7 M7 with no plans to change it up.

• Agree
Reactions: Rruuff Day
I had a 1965 MGB during my college days. Everything on it fell apart. The frame buckled so bad that I had trouble closing the doors. We used a hot water tank skin to redo the floors. The clutch broke while driving . Even the gas tank fell off while driving it. I used a coat hanger to reattach it. Water came out the exhaust as the cylinder head gasket blew. In 1978 I sold it for $500 just for the wire wheels it had.
Those were to good old days.
2X Miatas, a C7 and no issues and now a C8, no issues yet !!

Reactions: Bunny hop
... by its title, taking this as a "general corvette discussion" thread ...

A Jag ... never ever - cool ride but they were parts & servicing money-pits for both an Uncle and a friend.
Way more fun to have an H1 if for having to constantly fund a dealership service department (wow $179/hr now).
Unless I go back and reacquire one from the late 60's, I am done with back-seat riders in a sports car.
Am good with a C7 as a GM ice-cart-before-the-horse does not have me interested ... yet :angelic:

Last edited:
I thoroughly enjoyed the Jag F SVR, great car, and yes different than a C8 in number of categories but I would not say it is not in the same class. Personally I'd take it over the C8, but I'm bias and well most would be bias here for the C8 as this is a corvette forum

I thoroughly enjoyed the Jag F SVR, great car, and yes different than a C8 in number of categories but I would not say it is not in the same class. Personally I'd take it over the C8, but I'm bias and well most would be bias here for the C8 as this is a corvette forum
You can compare the Jag to Corvette C1-7, but not a C8. totally different animal and therefore a different class. The C8 is only a Corvette in name and manufacturer. It's a new car from the ground up. Yes, we are biased since it is a Corvette and specifically a C8 forum, but there are way too many differences. You'd be better off comparing the Jag to a Cadillac CTS-V or an AMG GT or a BMW whatever or Lexus etc.

Last edited:
You can compare the Jag to Corvette C1-7, but not a C8. totally different animal. The C8 is only a Corvette in name and manufacturer. It's a new car from the ground up. Yes, we are biased since it is a Corvette and specifically a C8 forum, but there are way too many differences. You'd be better off comparing the Jag to a Cadillac CTS-V or an AMG GT or a BMW whatever or Lexus etc.

Yes I understand the C8 is a different animal, but I would still disagree. Plenty of differences between the two of course. Had plenty of time in a C8 and same with the F-Type, SVR specifically, and to me the Jag is what I would want. Some of those comparisons are fair as well, but then what to you are you comparing the C8 to? Mid-engine cars only? If that is the case, Id never consider buying a C8. Do not get me wrong the C8 is a great car, that is just my opinion on the Jag as I thoroughly enjoyed it. Like I said any forum you go to and ask a question like this it is going to be 99% to 1% in favour of the car forum you are on.

Yes I understand the C8 is a different animal, but I would still disagree. Plenty of differences between the two of course. Had plenty of time in a C8 and same with the F-Type, SVR specifically, and to me the Jag is what I would want. Some of those comparisons are fair as well, but then what to you are you comparing the C8 to? Mid-engine cars only? If that is the case, Id never consider buying a C8. Do not get me wrong the C8 is a great car, that is just my opinion on the Jag as I thoroughly enjoyed it. Like I said any forum you go to and ask a question like this it is going to be 99% to 1% in favour of the car forum you are on.
I guess it all depends on how specific you want to be. They are both cars, so yes you can compare them. One is not a horse. ;) To me one should compare the C8 to only mid engine cars as far as class goes, but you are right IMSA says they are the same class. Like I've said before I would have kept my 2000 Camaro SS over any of the other front engine cars on the market. The C8 changed all that.

Even LEGO compares Corvettes

1654810100956.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread