My sales contract shows me as the purchaser and the dealership as the vender. GM doesn't sell vehicles directly to the public and the government knows that.
Dealers do not send written agreements to GM to order a car. They order mostly for customers through a computer. A written purchase agreement does not exist and this government clearly has no knowledge of how the ordering system within GM works. Companies order through GM Fleet sales in volume by computer as well not by written agreement.

My opinion on this is that even if you are correct, you will end up losing regardless.
The Government will tell you to take it up with the Dealer, and the Dealer will tell you to take it up with the Government.
You could fight the fights, and perhaps even win the battles, but the cost to do so would overshadow any savings hoped for.
Good luck.

My opinion on this is that even if you are correct, you will end up losing regardless.
The Government will tell you to take it up with the Dealer, and the Dealer will tell you to take it up with the Government.
You could fight the fights, and perhaps even win the battles, but the cost to do so would overshadow any savings hoped for.
Good luck.
Darrell my position is this and I have passed up multiple opportunities to order a Z06 already because of the dealer saying exactly that, so I did take it up with the government. I have read the act from front to back and called them on it. After stumbling on the phone they advised me to submit my time stamped deposit and copies of my signed contract per the wording in the act and they would rule on it. I do expect to lose to some BS reason as given above. If the government sends me a ruling with the same reasoning as was sent to Katless, the written agreement in place between the dealer as the purchaser and GM the vendor is the workbench order that would be submitted on my behalf. That is the way the ordering agreements work between GM and the dealers and that could be passed on to me. The luxury tax for my order would be over 25K and I figured it was worth making a couple of calls and having a letter sent to them. Ultimately, the final call is mine as I have done up until now which is decline the offer to order one while awaiting a ruling and potentially passing until the next government decides to eliminate the act.

Reactions: Murray20c8
Darrell my position is this and I have passed up multiple opportunities to order a Z06 already because of the dealer saying exactly that, so I did take it up with the government. I have read the act from front to back and called them on it. After stumbling on the phone they advised me to submit my time stamped deposit and copies of my signed contract per the wording in the act and they would rule on it. I do expect to lose to some BS reason as given above. If the government sends me a ruling with the same reasoning as was sent to Katless, the written agreement in place between the dealer as the purchaser and GM the vendor is the workbench order that would be submitted on my behalf. That is the way the ordering agreements work between GM and the dealers and that could be passed on to me. The luxury tax for my order would be over 25K and I figured it was worth making a couple of calls and having a letter sent to them. Ultimately, the final call is mine as I have done up until now which is decline the offer to order one while awaiting a ruling and potentially passing until the next government decides to eliminate the act.

I seriously do hope this goes in your favour, and cudoos to you for taking up the challenge.
The unfortunate part is that you are dealing with people that don't give a crap, and as such, are not about to let what's 'right' stand in their way.

Reactions: Murray20c8
I seriously do hope this goes in your favour, and cudoos to you for taking up the challenge.
The unfortunate part is that you are dealing with people that don't give a crap, and as such, are not about to let what's 'right' stand in their way.
And that as the Brit's would say is a pity!

Finch does it right because they submit the order into the system with the pricing at the time as well as a sales agreement. This allows them to bypass the luxury tax if you submitted a build to them and got on their waitlist before it came into effect.

The same thing occurred with my Blackwing, which I bought from Finch with a deposit and order submitted in '21 of June but my allocation didn't come up until September a week after the luxury tax came into effect. I didn't pay luxury tax because I had a signed sales agreement with options and everything.

If a dealer didn't give you a sales agreement before the luxury tax came out you will most likely not be exempt unfortunately. My local dealer does this, they won't submit a build into the system unless you're next in line and won't give you a sales agreement of your build because your #15 in line and whatever build you want pricing wise won't be accurate by the time your turn comes up a full model year later so they don't bother.

However its this sales agreement you need in order to avoid the luxury tax. Assuming you did it before September 2022. This is my understanding anyway, I don't believe a deposit is enough.
Interesting subject matter. Based on my brief preliminary research it appears that the vendor (dealer) can apply for an exemption to the luxury tax from the CRA by completing form L100-1 in Canada. This requires further research or at least enquiring from the dealer when signing the contract.