You may be suffering with the color contrast that emphasizes that wheel gap Paul.
I agree it is striking and looks funny on some cars.
I don’t notice it on my car as it blends in. I know lots of guys lower the C7s and frankly it’s a personal choice. For your car the contrast is quite strong to the eye yes. I wonder about warranty and as mentioned above alignment.
If there is no issues there... why not go for it and see how you like it. It’s your dream car so have it the way it pleases you man.

Another vote for black.

View attachment 13560 View attachment 13561 View attachment 13562

PS: they put it in the handicapped spot... not me. My first moment in the car was “anxiously” trying to get out of that spot ASAP.

:D

Interesting point of view ddgermann... never thought abt the colour contrast wheel gap effect. I did call the dealership and ask if any parts of the warranty may be in jeopardy due to lowering the car. Their response was an immediate no with a caveat that if it were to have a direct link to another part of the car failing, then it may come under scrutiny. But as it is being done utilizing the stock 'lowering' bolts they could not think of an instance........ Im guessing that if it were to be lowered to the max tolerances and then one scrapes the crap out of the bottom and damages any undercarriage components one would be out of luck. And rightfully so. And yes, albeit the lowering will be nominal, an alignment will be performed after putting on a 100-150 kms or so.

Reactions: ddgermann
Interesting point of view ddgermann... never thought abt the colour contrast wheel gap effect. I did call the dealership and ask if any parts of the warranty may be in jeopardy due to lowering the car. Their response was an immediate no with a caveat that if it were to have a direct link to another part of the car failing, then it may come under scrutiny. But as it is being done utilizing the stock 'lowering' bolts they could not think of an instance........ Im guessing that if it were to be lowered to the max tolerances and then one scrapes the crap out of the bottom and damages any undercarriage components one would be out of luck. And rightfully so. And yes, albeit the lowering will be nominal, an alignment will be performed after putting on a 100-150 kms or so.

Well it looks like lowering your Corvette is all good as the dealer confirmed you do not have a direct warranty issue.
As I mentioned... it’s your car and happiness with it that matters above all our POVs.
Driving it knowing it looks just the way you like feels so much better than sitting there thinking about some detail that bugs you.
Personally I think your car would look better lowered as the visible wheel gap would bug me too.
Remember the speed bumps in the parking lots and getting it over a lift though. I would insist on being there to witness it going over any hoist. Even the dealers have some guys who just don’t give a sh**.

Your ride is pretty darn attractive too Man.

Happy new Year

Derek.

Reactions: Paul C7 to C8
Well it looks like lowering your Corvette is all good as the dealer confirmed you do not have a direct warranty issue.
As I mentioned... it’s your car and happiness with it that matters above all our POVs.
Driving it knowing it looks just the way you like feels so much better than sitting there thinking about some detail that bugs you.
Personally I think your car would look better lowered as the visible wheel gap would bug me too.
Remember the speed bumps in the parking lots and getting it over a lift though. I would insist on being there to witness it going over any hoist. Even the dealers have some guys who just don’t give a sh**.

Your ride is pretty darn attractive too Man.

Agree on all you said..... best wishes for the New Year

Thanks AllFlash. My driving will be mainly around town, maybe go for a wine tour in the Okanagan Valley, abt 4 hrs from me. I think you are correct in saying that the ones who will notice the drop are others who are also pro lowering..... until such time as you might see two C7s side by side with one being lowered and the other not. I think most eyes will be able to note the difference. I personally like the slightly more aggressive stance that the drop provides and as its an easy process which is reversible I do believe that at some point it will be slightly lowered. If anyone on this forum has already done this I would love to hear some feedback from you..... thanks

Hey Paul. I have also considered lowering my GS but after just 3400 kms I am thinking might not be a good idea. I love the look but with all the stage 2 ground affects sometimes pulling out of parking lots can be a tad tricky to maneuver!!! The manual says slight front end scrapes are normal but they sure make my teeth grate when it happens. Not a pleasant sound to my ears!!!

Reactions: ddgermann
Hey Paul. I have also considered lowering my GS but after just 3400 kms I am thinking might not be a good idea. I love the look but with all the stage 2 ground affects sometimes pulling out of parking lots can be a tad tricky to maneuver!!! The manual says slight front end scrapes are normal but they sure make my teeth grate when it happens. Not a pleasant sound to my ears!!!

Since we are in the same time zone and on the site at the same time we must both be waiting for dinner to be ready LOL... My Jag was abt 3/4" lower than the Vette and never had a problem, albeit I avoided certain 'entrances'. I think I will lower it 1/2" in a couple of months and see how it goes. The gap is just a bit much for my tastes. I shall keep my eyes open for a white G.S. My wife and I are in Pt. Moody quite often for coffee at Gallaghers or Il Divano....

Reactions: drvette
Since we are in the same time zone and on the site at the same time we must both be waiting for dinner to be ready LOL... My Jag was abt 3/4" lower than the Vette and never had a problem, albeit I avoided certain 'entrances'. I think I will lower it 1/2" in a couple of months and see how it goes. The gap is just a bit much for my tastes. I shall keep my eyes open for a white G.S. My wife and I are in Pt. Moody quite often for coffee at Gallaghers or Il Divano....

Ya go for it!!! You are not doing a major modification and can always change it back if problems occur. Make sure you post pics!!!

Well, I realize I have a C5 but the concerns of lowering are the same...but first, one thing to consider is that the Z06 (and probably GS and Stingray) ship from the factory with the suspension raised so that it doesn't scrap getting on/off rail cars or the trucks delivering the cars. Part of the process of the PDI inspection when the car arrives at the dealer is for them to lower the car to ride height. What they use to determine the height, I don't know. But, the point is, if you think your car is too tall, maybe it wasn't adjusted correctly during the PDI.

One problem with my car is that I don't know how much I lowered it. It was a bit of a spur of the moment thing when I was changing the wheels. I saw the bolt there and thought, screw it (literally :D), it's right there and I wanted to take some gap out of the wheel well. I think my car lowered an inch to an inch and a half in the rear and just under an inch in the front and this is my take on whether or not the height is acceptable.
A) If the gap is way too big and looks like it could be awd, then the car can be lowered.
B) Does the suspension ever bottom out? If not, then you aren't using all your suspension travel, and the car can be lowered.

My car never bottomed out, ever. After lowering it, the front is fine, but I can feel the rear tapping the bump stops more than I like. It's not bad but just keeps tapping them over bumps. The greatest danger of this isn't damage to the car, but if going around a corner and if the suspension reaches it's limit before it should, it could really upset the rear end causing it to snap out....which I guess could damage the car.....someone else's car, property, light posts, people, and small little crickets.....
Anyway, the issue I have now is I REALLY like how low the rear looks (Still on the stock bolts), so in doing some reading, I'm going to pull the shock and cut the bump stops in half. o_O
This should give another 1/2" to 3/4" of travel, which will keep it from tapping the bump stops and still leave a bit there so it can cushion it a bit should it bottom out again. If it does keep bottoming out, I'll either have to invest in coil overs or raise the rear a bit.
The fronts for me are too high, so I'm going to cut the bushing and do the same mod to the shock. Once again, if it bottoms out, coil overs or raise it back up. But if it doesn't, then I'll know I have my car lowered as low as practically possible. :thumbs:

Well, I realize I have a C5 but the concerns of lowering are the same...but first, one thing to consider is that the Z06 (and probably GS and Stingray) ship from the factory with the suspension raised so that it doesn't scrap getting on/off rail cars or the trucks delivering the cars. Part of the process of the PDI inspection when the car arrives at the dealer is for them to lower the car to ride height. What they use to determine the height, I don't know. But, the point is, if you think your car is too tall, maybe it wasn't adjusted correctly during the PDI.

One problem with my car is that I don't know how much I lowered it. It was a bit of a spur of the moment thing when I was changing the wheels. I saw the bolt there and thought, screw it (literally :D), it's right there and I wanted to take some gap out of the wheel well. I think my car lowered an inch to an inch and a half in the rear and just under an inch in the front and this is my take on whether or not the height is acceptable.
A) If the gap is way too big and looks like it could be awd, then the car can be lowered.
B) Does the suspension ever bottom out? If not, then you aren't using all your suspension travel, and the car can be lowered.

My car never bottomed out, ever. After lowering it, the front is fine, but I can feel the rear tapping the bump stops more than I like. It's not bad but just keeps tapping them over bumps. The greatest danger of this isn't damage to the car, but if going around a corner and if the suspension reaches it's limit before it should, it could really upset the rear end causing it to snap out....which I guess could damage the car.....someone else's car, property, light posts, people, and small little crickets.....
Anyway, the issue I have now is I REALLY like how low the rear looks (Still on the stock bolts), so in doing some reading, I'm going to pull the shock and cut the bump stops in half. o_O
This should give another 1/2" to 3/4" of travel, which will keep it from tapping the bump stops and still leave a bit there so it can cushion it a bit should it bottom out again. If it does keep bottoming out, I'll either have to invest in coil overs or raise the rear a bit.
The fronts for me are too high, so I'm going to cut the bushing and do the same mod to the shock. Once again, if it bottoms out, coil overs or raise it back up. But if it doesn't, then I'll know I have my car lowered as low as practically possible. :thumbs:

Hey Riley, the point you made regarding the bump stops is bang (no pun intended) on. An of course your other point.... coilovers, is definitely the proper way of lowering any car. (Albeit back in the day I certainly cut a few coils in order to lower) :) I'm going to put some faith in the engineers who designed these cars and the fact that the cars are delivered to the purchaser with the lowering bolts not removed. I do want to avoid hitting the bump stops, so when I do lower it I shall start with 1/2" both front and rear and take it from there.... Its also reassuring to hear that besides the bump stops hitting on occasion, you really have had no problems. Good info.

Reactions: Riley P
Interesting feedback here, I feel like I'm one of the few that have gone the extra mile to lower their C7.
I took delivery of my Grand Sport, waited a couple of weeks and 1500km later I took the wheels off and lowered it as far as I could using the stock bolts.

Not good enough for me. I went and purchased West Coast Corvette Lower Aftermarket Bolts and got another solid inch or so drop.
Car sits just perfectly, it definitely is more challenging to get out of the vehicle but you get used to that after a while; You really are on the ground at this point. I got one alignment done right after installing the bolts and went ahead and did one more for track prep about 1500km after installing the bolts. The difference was significant between the two alignments.

60+ lapping hours, several road course track days, two sets of tires and 8000km later I have no regrets and no issues. Car is equipped with full Ground Effects package as well.

Challenges?
Lifting the car up, I like to do a bit of very basic work on my own, taking the wheels and tires off requires a ramp which I've already had built from my Mustang days.
Getting in and out of the vehicle, though you get used to this after some time
Scrapes on the underneath of front splitter - I could care less about damaging the front splitter, when it finally comes apart, I'll replace it with another one. Countless scrapes so far and not one visible scratch or damage, all the scraping has affected the underneath of the spitter. Not a big deal for me.
Speed bumps, go sideways for the higher bumps - Tunnel brace plate will get scratched. Again, not a big deal for me.

That's good to hear Toxix. One of my friends purchased a 2017 Z06, lowered it with aftermarket bolts and it looks fantastic, however, although I have not heard of them having any issues with lowering the car, I also haven't asked, so it's good to have your first hand experience here.

Toxix, nice 'report' on your experience with lowering. :Hurray: I would guess that you've lowered it 1.75"? I have not yet lowered mine but it will definitely get done over the next 2-3 weeks. My Jag XK sat aprx 1.75" lower than the Vette and it also had the front splitter - and much like yourself I never had an issue. For the first go around it will be just on the stock bolts. Do you recall what the max drop was on the stock bolts?

Toxix, nice 'report' on your experience with lowering. :Hurray: I would guess that you've lowered it 1.75"? I have not yet lowered mine but it will definitely get done over the next 2-3 weeks. My Jag XK sat aprx 1.75" lower than the Vette and it also had the front splitter - and much like yourself I never had an issue. For the first go around it will be just on the stock bolts. Do you recall what the max drop was on the stock bolts?

I didn't have to wrench on the bolts all that much, the drop from lowering on the stock bolts I can comfortably say was not much different at all. Maybe half a centimeter at the most. Going to drop in a bunch of pics now.

The aftermarket bolts offered a much more significant drop as you can see in the pictures below.

Last edited:
Here you guys go. Pictures of my Grand Sport after having installed the lowering bolts + 2 alignments

01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg 04.jpg 05.jpg 06.jpg

Did you opt for the factory alignment again or for what I will call the non track alignment after the drop? and why were two required?

Real story, had a certain shop install the lowering bolts and perform an "alignment" after install.
Conveniently enough, their printer was "broken" so couldn't show me before and afters after having paid $150.00 for the alignment in the first place.
Car drove like crap. Waited for a bit and took it to a real shop - Apex Motoring with a proper on-ground level Hunter rack. Night and day difference, print out showed major variances.
Car was perfect after second alignment.

It wouldn't have needed a second alignment if the first one had been done correctly.

As a newbie Corvette owner I have a question for those with more experience with the C7as it comes to lowering. Pretty much all of my past performance cars were ( to various degrees) lowered. I am contemplating doing the same on the Corvette. I would think only aprx 1 - 1.25" in the rear and .75 to 1" in the front. I know that there are stock 'lowering' bolts on each corner and the task seems very easy. Any pros and cons from those who may have done this will be greatly appreciated. I have only put abt 100kms on the car as the weather is not Vette friendly, albeit I did change all 4 tires to (summer) Michelins. Thanks for any input.....
I don't lower any of my cars. One of the things I love about my two American cars (Z07 and Viper GTS) is that they are set up with enough clearance that I rarely scrape but have all that performance. They don't need hydraulic lifting systems which to me add unnecessary weight and added complexity for things to go wrong. My STi isn't lowered because it's a rally car, and my S2000 is stock height. I don't like scraping or damaging my cars. BUT I do love the way lowered cars look.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.