Some say there is a noticeable noise when it switches. I notice nothing.
Today going down the highway I was monitoring things and was noticing the v4 indicator on when the TX was in 7th and because I have been varying speed in about 5 kph increments between 80 and 120 at one point approaching a hill gave it some gas v4 immediately disappeared and v8 shows . When I crested the hill and v4 appeared again I could both feel and slightly hear the difference as it reverted to 4 cylinders. No stereo on at the time. I think if you had the tunes cranked you wouldn’t hear it but would feel the slight difference if you had noticed it before.

• Agree
Reactions: Vettenut and MKC8
Today going down the highway I was monitoring things and was noticing the v4 indicator on when the TX was in 7th and because I have been varying speed in about 5 kph increments between 80 and 120 at one point approaching a hill gave it some gas v4 immediately disappeared and v8 shows . When I crested the hill and v4 appeared again I could both feel and slightly hear the difference as it reverted to 4 cylinders. No stereo on at the time. I think if you had the tunes cranked you wouldn’t hear it but would feel the slight difference if you had noticed it before.
I have never noticed/felt/heard the change, only see the DIC V4/V8 indicator, when it's there.
The average fuel economy number changes, too.

I have never noticed/felt/heard the change, only see the DIC V4/V8 indicator, when it's there.
It is very subtle but if you watch for it you will notice it. Seems to be more noticeable when there is load on the motor when you ease off the throttle such as the situation I described above. I will watch for the fuel economy number. In what way does it change?

It is very subtle but if you watch for it you will notice it. Seems to be more noticeable when there is load on the motor when you ease off the throttle such as the situation I described above. I will watch for the fuel economy number. In what way does it change?
+ under V4, - under V8.

Perhaps so . Didn’t notice but will check tomorrow. Doesn’t seem to make sense on the face of it. I wonder if the behaviour of it has changed with successive model years…..
Not perhaps! FACT! Though it may not be with newer models. I can't speak to those.

Not perhaps! FACT! Though it may not be with newer models. I can't speak to those.
I can verify that V4 on the dash turns off instantly when off throttle on my 2024.

This would be the desired effect as V4 would have no effect on gas mileage off throttle, as well as engine braking would also want to use all eight cylinders to be effective.

I am not sure why anyone would want to disable this function, except on the track which is why we have track mode, I can see no difference in performance with or without it activated for everyday driving or spirited driving in modes other than track. This technology has progressed greatly from the early 2000's.

Why disable it you wonder?> Well, because of the loud ugly sucking noise when it shifts into V4. That’s why!

It may “have progressed greatly from the early 2000’s”, but it still sucks.

Literally.

Why disable it you wonder?> Well, because of the loud ugly sucking noise when it shifts into V4. That’s why!

It may “have progressed greatly from the early 2000’s”, but it still sucks.

Literally.
Some hear / have a noise. Some (ME) don't. Weird!

Tap the gas and you get all eight right away. Don’t know why people are complaining.
Still following as a C7 manual transmission owner. To answer 1st Vette’s question there was a significant issue with C7’s that was narrowed down to operating as a V4, with valve guides failing and I also believe some direct valve damage. Chevy, of course, refused to honour any warranty claims, at least initially. Quite a few C7 owners with the automatic transmission would keep the car in manual mode which was the only way to disable AFM unless you bought a Range device for the OBD port as a workaround.

But the only way to actually engage the cylinder deactivation “feature” on my M7 manual was to move the mode-selector into “Eco Mode”. I do assume that it would work to reduce fuel consumption on the C7 but I have no hankering to find out. Now the only thing that bugs me is the 1->4 skip shift (another GM fuel economy “benefit”), I’ve got the bypass harness to disable that but haven’t had the opportunity to install it yet.

LLC

Now the only thing that bugs me is the 1->4 skip shift (another GM fuel economy “benefit”), I’ve got the bypass harness to disable that but haven’t had the opportunity to install it yet.
That was the first thing I did on my Camaros. I actually made my own. It was just a resistor inline with the wires if memory serves. That drove me absolutely bonkers! Now you know why I am the way I am! ;)