May 3, 2018
Aurora
VetteCoins
Car
2019 Stingray
Got a question for you new-series folks. My friend has a C8 Z06 coming soon after a long wait. In his research he found out about the issues with “Eco-Mode” engine/valve train issues with the C7 automatics, and the use of OBD port plug ins to avoid going into V4 mode. I’ve got a C7 manual which has never been put in Eco even once so I can’t help him.

My question: is the Eco-Mode cylinder deactivation thing still employed on the C8’s, and if so is the potential for engine-related problems still there? He really doesn’t know anyone else with a C8 so I thought I’d hit the CCF knowledge base to find out.

Info appreciated.

LateLifeCrisis

My question: is the Eco-Mode cylinder deactivation thing still employed on the C8’s, and if so is the potential for engine-related problems still there? He really doesn’t know anyone else with a C8 so I thought I’d hit the CCF knowledge base to find out.

Info appreciated.

LateLifeCrisis
AFM is still used in the LT2 SR engine, and I believe in the LT6 in the Z06.
AFAIK there is no OBD plug in to disable it available at retail for either C8 engine.
On the LT2 engine (and probably the LT6) Track Mode and Manual Mode disable AFM. Possibly Z Mode with certain "Track Mode" settings.
I have seen zero threads on any C8 Corvette forums regarding any mechanical problems with AFM.
Some say they notice it when it changes, others don't.
I don't.

• Agree
Reactions: Murray20c8
Thanks for all the feedback. As noted, I’m a C7/M7 type so I don’t have background on the issues with cylinder deactivation, and my buddy is new to the C8 Z06 I’ll let him know that he’s got nothing to be concerned about with the engine problems due to the switch to a V4 on his new buggy.

L.L.C.

Damn . What about manual mode.
Both Track Mode (page 201 PDF OM), and MM disable V4. Personally tried both.
Still haven't tried Z Mode with some Track mods.
Adding PTM to Z Mode disables Cruise Control.
Or Z Mode disables it by default, not sure about that.
Maybe it also disables AFM.
I'll get around to it eventually. AFM doesn't bother me.
UPDATE: PTM added to Z Mode disables cruise control.
Z Mode with ESC (no PTM) allows cruise control.
Both Z Mode combos appear to disable AFM.
I saw no V4/V8 icon visible in the DIC during Z Mode. Doesn't mean it's not doing it in the background.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 1st Vette
Both Track Mode (page 201 PDF OM), and MM disable V4. Personally tried both.
Still haven't tried Z Mode with some Track mods.
Adding PTM to Z Mode disables Cruise Control.
Or Z Mode disables it by default, not sure about that.
Maybe it also disables AFM.
I'll get around to it eventually. AFM doesn't bother me.
Interesting. Just got mine yesterday, still sorting out settings. I guess the v4 is to meet EPA requirements. Darn tree huggers , lol . I suppose just rolling down the highway you wouldn’t notice anyway and with the cost of high test not a bad thing. Tap the gas and you get all eight right away. Don’t know why people are complaining.

Interesting. Just got mine yesterday, still sorting out settings. I guess the v4 is to meet EPA requirements. Darn tree huggers , lol . I suppose just rolling down the highway you wouldn’t notice anyway and with the cost of high test not a bad thing. Tap the gas and you get all eight right away. Don’t know why people are complaining.
AFM doesn't bother me either way.
I test this stuff out of boredom, mostly, and I do drive it a lot, so it's easy to do.
If I remember...

Some say there is a noticeable noise when it switches. I notice nothing.

• Agree
Reactions: MKC8
UPDATE: PTM added to Z Mode disables cruise control.
Z Mode with ESC (no PTM) allows cruise control.
Both (of my) Z Mode combos appear to disable AFM.
I saw no V4/V8 icon visible in the DIC during Z Mode.
Doesn't mean it's not doing it in the background.
I'd think you'd see the icons if it did shift to v4.

• Agree
Reactions: 1st Vette