nosubs

Casual User
Aug 1, 2023
VetteCoins
Province
ON
Hi everyone.

Wondering if anyone has experienced this issue or has something I should try.

I noticed my 2024 Stingray is missing a screw/washer in the rear wheel well on the passenger side (picture attached - camera is looking towards the front of the car). I went to a dealership to buy the part, and the person at the parts department was very helpful, they tried to install it for me. But it wasn’t screwing in. It would turn, but then not stay in. I don’t know if there’s a part missing behind the wheel liner or what it could be. I have the OEM splash guards, but they are on the other side of the wheel well.

They suggested I mention it when getting an oil change, so it can be fixed then, but I only have 400km on it, so that could be quite a while.

Does it seem ok to leave it for a long time?
Any ideas on a fix?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_1759.jpeg
    IMG_1759.jpeg
    339.7 KB · Views: 0
Hi everyone.

I noticed my 2024 Stingray is missing a screw/washer in the rear wheel well on the passenger side (picture attached - camera is looking towards the front of the car). I went to a dealership to buy the part, and the person at the parts department was very helpful, they tried to install it for me. But it wasn’t screwing in. It would turn, but then not stay in. I don’t know if there’s a part missing behind the wheel liner or what it could be. I have the OEM splash guards, but they are on the other side of the wheel well.

They suggested I mention it when getting an oil change, so it can be fixed then, but I only have 400km on it, so that could be quite a while.

Any ideas on a fix?

Thanks in advance.

Buy the part ?! Amici bello ... this would be covered under warranty .... whatever the issue is there .... the dealer should look after you with white gloves on ;)

And if the parts department was really being helpful they would have told you as such:cool:

I found out the hard way that my old C6 used plastic fasteners in certain places that are pushed or tapped in place with a mallet but you use a screw driver to remove them.
They too seemed to not bite into the threads.
This was a difficult concept for a crusty old electrician to learn. I say, if it has a slotted head it's gonna get screwed.

Idea. Remove the fastener next to the missing one and try it in the empty hole?
Also try pushing or tapping the new fastener into place?
:Cheers2:

Hi everyone.

Any ideas on a fix?

Thanks in advance.
Just for giggles I did a Google search, got this...".Remove the rear flexible fender liner. No problem right? Well, it comes out after you take out the 11 T15 screws, 5 of the 7mm hex screws, and 4 push pins." So the missing item is one of 3 things. The dealer should sort it for you.

I had the same issue on my BMW looked like a screw, acted like a screw but in fact was a seated push pin. You can buy a $39 tool kit with multiple length push pins and application tool from Amazon or Canadian Tire to install the pin and then you screw it back out if need be, but is one time use and cannot be reused. Almost identical to a screw in drywall toggle. My BMW dealer popped the tire and through a new pin in while I waited, the parts people did not have any idea it was the mechanic that took a Quick Look and said pull it in. Shitty part is tire had to come off no matter what. Again this was on a BMW but looks and sounds like the exact same thing.

Reactions: Dik
You might consider buying a kit with various types of panel fasteners like this :

Kit

Some of them expand inside the hole after the pin gets pushed in. Comes in handy for other vehicles too. They aren't factory but way better than an open hole.
Can he just buy the 3 pieces he needs off of you and mail you the 30 cents?

I found out the hard way that my old C6 used plastic fasteners in certain places that are pushed or tapped in place with a mallet but you use a screw driver to remove them.
They too seemed to not bite into the threads.
This was a difficult concept for a crusty old electrician to learn. I say, if it has a slotted head it's gonna get screwed.

Idea. Remove the fastener next to the missing one and try it in the empty hole?
Also try pushing or tapping the new fastener into place?
Slot screws should be banned. :downvote:

Slot screws should be banned. :downvote:
Slut screws you mean. Whenever you try to turn them the screwdriver slips, you cut your hand and you yell "You slut"!

Thanks everyone!

Unfortunately it seems more complex than I anticipated, thanks for the ideas, but before I try any solutions myself I guess I should see if the dealership can fix it. I have a headlight recall pending, I guess I could bring it in for both of those items at the same time.

Although this doesn’t seem terribly urgent to me - especially with so many other screws/pins holding the fender liner on (thanks Dave). I’m probably going to leave it for a few months. But does anyone think it needs to fixed asap?

Thanks.

Reactions: Dik and 1st Vette
Thanks everyone!

Unfortunately it seems more complex than I anticipated, thanks for the ideas, but before I try any solutions myself I guess I should see if the dealership can fix it. I have a headlight recall pending, I guess I could bring it in for both of those items at the same time.

Although this doesn’t seem terribly urgent to me - especially with so many other screws/pins holding the fender liner on (thanks Dave). I’m probably going to leave it for a few months. But does anyone think it needs to fixed asap?

Thanks.
If it's attached at the top and attached at the bottom I wouldn't worry about one missing fastener.

Thanks everyone!

Thanks.
Hey.
Yeah I think your plan is best. The dealer needs to sort this out.

And talk to a Service Advisor or the Service Manager. They should have the knowledge or access to the contact with the solution.

FWIW, why not temporarily cover the hole so dust doesn't get inside the panel or possibly some grit plugs some of the threads? A small piece of electrical tape :Seeya: would do the trick.

Reactions: nosubs