Jul 8, 2012
Toronto
VetteCoins
Car
1997 C5
I'm planning to replace all the fluids in my c5 and figured now is a good time to start planning for that and start looking out for maybe some deals on fluids and other tools I will need.

Would you guys be able to help compile a list of all the fluids needed as well as recommendations for each one? Maybe we can compile a list as a point of reference for everyone?

As far as the usage of my car it's mainly a summer DD maybe a 70/30 split of city and highway driving, and maybe a couple track days.

Engine Oil - I know GM recommends Mobil1 and Manny recommends Pennzoil so I guess we have this one covered but what about the other fluids?
Transmission (I own a manual but if we're compiling a list I guess we should do one for auto as well?)
Diff
Brake
Clutch (use the same as the brakes?)
Power Steering
Coolant

For the sake of being comprehensive I'm also mentioning Fuel and Windshield Fluid, but I'm not really sure if there needs to be much, if any, discussion pertaining to these.

Any other fluids I missed? Thanks in advance for all the input!

For myself for a 2000 C5:

Engine Oil - As mentioned when I run out of Mobil 1, I'm going to Pennzoil
Transmission - I just had this done and used GM trans fluid.
Diff - GM fluid with the Limited Slip additive
Brake - ???
Clutch - I got my clutch fluid from the Dealership
Power Steering - ???
Coolant - ???

I'm looking forward to seeing the replies on the rest of the fluids.
I would also like to see a "how-to" with replacing the power steering fluid.

Ok , fluids ...easy

Unless you are a weekend track track rat , don't get caught up in the expensive fluids . Here is my personal recommendation for the do it yourselfer :

Coolant - Dexcool - Don't buy premix as your just paying for water -Mix it 50/50

Power steering fluid - Canadian Tire Prestone works just fine .

Brakes -Factory recommends DOT3 - Use DOT 3 - Again unless you are tracking the car, then DOT4

Transmission - GM or Quaker State

Not to have another one of "those' questions again but I still have not heard a difinitive answer about synthetic fluids in the 97-00 manual transmission Corvettes. Something about the synthetic fluid not working with the paper blocking rings as opposed to the carbon fiber blocking rings. Can you shed any light on this?

Not to have another one of "those' questions again but I still have not heard a difinitive answer about synthetic fluids in the 97-00 manual transmission Corvettes. Something about the synthetic fluid not working with the paper blocking rings as opposed to the carbon fiber blocking rings. Can you shed any light on this?

I have been running Royal Purple Synthetic in my 98 MN6 trans for 6 years , hows that for proof that it works fine .
I have also used in most of our transmission fluid changes for the past 6 years :D

That's as definitive as I can get Riley :rofl:

i'm interested to know if Manny can or anyone else can maybe shed some light but i hear many good things about Amsoil products

what are the differences, any advantages or disadvantages between amsoil or royal purple or are they more or less the same stuff and either will be fine

i'm interested to know if Manny can or anyone else can maybe shed some light but i hear many good things about Amsoil products

what are the differences, any advantages or disadvantages between amsoil or royal purple or are they more or less the same stuff and either will be fine

Amsoil is no better or worse than any of the other products .

In the end oil is oil , and I have never heard of anyone having an issue with their car because of the brand of oil that they used .

Last edited:
Well said Manny--although I do believe there's merit to synthetic versus non-synthetic engine oil.

Also, I believe gas makes a difference. Sounds like most people like Petro Canada Premium on the site. I go for Esso myself. I don't see it as being much worse than anything else I can get, but I'm a stickler for Aeroplan points.
[mob][/mob]

Well said Manny--although I do believe there's merit to synthetic versus non-synthetic engine oil.

Also, I believe gas makes a difference. Sounds like most people like Petro Canada Premium on the site. I go for Esso myself. I don't see it as being much worse than anything else I can get, but I'm a stickler for Aeroplan points.
[mob][/mob]

I could be mistaken but I think Petro Premium and 94 octane contain ethanol which is why I just stick to Shell V-power. Might as well get a few extra miles per fill up with sans ethanol fuels

Just a tranny oil question. Bought RP oil yesterday and the salesman said it had to be RP Max ATF oil and 4 liters was the right capacity for my 2002. Is this all correct? (If any of this is wrong I can still take it back.) The question is should it be manual oil or ATF RP and does the tranny really hold 4 liters?

Last edited:
All these new oils may be good but how much better can they make it. Our old 427 Chevelle went close to 200K miles on what was available back in the day. You know....the stuff that you wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole today. That engine saw 7200 rpm a couple of times and saw 6500 so often that I wouldn't even hazard a guess. There was a test done a while back and Mobil one came in 4th out of an arms length list of oils tested. When I can buy a five little just of it for $27 on sale, then that is fine with me. Actually, it wouldn't bother me to use any regular name brand oil in our Corvette with a bottle of GM's EOS. The engine would probably have all the protection it needs. Manny hit the nail on the head. Hype sells a lot more stuff than just oil.

Oil is oil, but Filters are not.....they make all the difference in the world. Just picked up a jug of Mobil 1 5W20 full synthetic and Fram extraguard filter for less than $35 US at Walmart Ogdensburg. I might like to add, oil is NOT oil when dealing with high performance motorcycle engines that hit 14K+ rpms frequently! Believe it or not Shell Rotella T6 synthetic is great stuff.

Just a tranny oil question. Bought RP oil yesterday and the salesman said it had to be RP Max ATF oil and 4 liters was the right capacity for my 2002. Is this all correct? (If any of this is wrong I can still take it back.) The question is should it be manual oil or ATF RP and does the tranny really hold 4 liters?

Best to PM Manny on this as your question may get buried. I just replaced the trans fluid on my 6-speed with the factory stuff last summer. The old stuff still looked as clean as a new whistle.

The M12 holds 4 quarts so just under 4 liters. Fill it to the bottom of the fill hole and you'll be good!....right Manny?