1705246341161.png

Ok.... so food for thought.... Just discovered this today talking to a grill/smoker appliance rep. I have a Bradley smoker which allows me to cold smoke things like cheeses and what ever. He was telling me and showing me pictures of a client of his with a smoker that doesn't lend itself to cold smoking. His client cold smokes cheese by putting a tray of ice in the rack under the cheese. This allows the cheese to smoke without heating it. But here's the catch. Once the cheese is smoked, he takes the melted ice water, which is also smoked, and puts it into ice cube trays. Then he uses the ice cubes in his whiskey drinks to infuse a smoke flavor into the drink. Very kewl idea that I will be definitely trying in my bourbon....This would work for likely any drink... I will let you know how it turns out...

If you dont wanna come to my seminar ... you deserve to be broke

If they tell you its a get rich quick scheme ... tell them it IS because life is too short to get rich slow

- Tom Vu .... anyone remember this guy ?

Ya . He asked me if I wanted to Super Size my order at Macdonald’s the other day, lol.

You have a McDonalds in Yellowknife? Do they serve a McMoose burger?.... lol
Two actually. All of the usual chains. KFC , Starbucks , Tim’s x two, numerous pizza joints, Fat Burger etc . I don’t go to any of them , l honestly think I have had something maybe five times in my life from Macdonalds and three of those times were out of the Country. No McMoose unfortunately but you can get deep fried Raven at Mary Browns . ;)

Two actually. All of the usual chains. KFC , Starbucks , Tim’s x two, numerous pizza joints, Fat Burger etc . I don’t go to any of them , l honestly think I have had something maybe five times in my life from Macdonalds and three of those times were out of the Country. No McMoose unfortunately but you can get deep fried Raven at Mary Browns . ;)
It's called a McBullwinkle! The best fries are sold by McDonalds!

I'll pass on the deep fried Raven... I find them tough and stringy. They are better done in a slow cooker. Snowy owl though is good deep fried. All white meat too.... ;)

All this food talk got me thinking about supper tonight.... So just finished spice rubbing a nice moose brisket for the slow cooker..

.View attachment 120323
OK, I need to ask you as you are now the CCF slow cooker expert. We have an Instapot and everything we try to cook in it only cooks on the bottom. What's the secret? immersed in water?

Last edited:
OK, I need to ask you as you are now the CCF slow cooker expert. We have an Instapot and everything we try to cook in it only cooks on the bottom. What's the secret? immersed in water?
Unfortunately (or not) we don't have an instapot. Haven't ever seen the need but lots of people love them.
An insta pot uses steam and pressure to cook foods. Therefor water is necessary. Is your pot burning the bottom? That would definately be a factor of not enough liquid. Too much liquid would also be detrimental. It should be the steam and pressure that cooks your food. Not the pot heat. I like the old slow cooker myself. We're never in a rush to eat so something that does a meal in minutes doesn't really make a difference to us. We use the slow cooker for the not so tender meat cuts. I can put a brisket or a chuck roast in there on low for 6 to 8 hours and just forget about ituntil it's time to eat. When I was single, I use to put a roast, potatoes, carrots, onions and a couple cups of beef bullion and my homemade BBQ sauce in the slow cooker when I left for work and supper was ready for the table when I got home.

Try more water...

Unfortunately (or not) we don't have an instapot. Haven't ever seen the need but lots of people love them.
An insta pot uses steam and pressure to cook foods. Therefor water is necessary. Is your pot burning the bottom? That would definately be a factor of not enough liquid. Too much liquid would also be detrimental. It should be the steam and pressure that cooks your food. Not the pot heat. I like the old slow cooker myself. We're never in a rush to eat so something that does a meal in minutes doesn't really make a difference to us. We use the slow cooker for the not so tender meat cuts. I can put a brisket or a chuck roast in there on low for 6 to 8 hours and just forget about ituntil it's time to eat. When I was single, I use to put a roast, potatoes, carrots, onions and a couple cups of beef bullion and my homemade BBQ sauce in the slow cooker when I left for work and supper was ready for the table when I got home.

Try more water...
We use the instapot in slow cooker mode. Do all slow cookers use liquid to do the work? We never used liquid in it as the instructions didn't say to do that. Nothing burns. Like we put ribs in it and the bottom ribs cook in 8 hours, but the top ones are raw.

We use the instapot in slow cooker mode. Do all slow cookers use liquid to do the work? We never used liquid in it as the instructions didn't say to do that. Nothing burns. Like we put ribs in it and the bottom ribs cook in 8 hours, but the top ones are raw.
Yup. Put liquid in it no matter what mode you use. Stacking things in dry and only the bottom ones gets any heat and that's just off the bottom of the pot. The liquid will take the heat and distributes it throughout the pot evenly. Put enough liquid in to 'just cover' what you're cooking. Use a bullion liquid with BBQ sauce added to it (preferably homemade) and i'm betting you will have success and great ribs. I do short ribs in the slow cooker lots like that and they turn out great. Lots of homemade BBQ sauce recipes on Google.

Here's my brisket after 6 hours on low. Big difference from my erlier photo. Two more hours plus 15 minutes wrapped in tinfoil to rest while I do the garlic roasted potatoes and corn for a vegie... Hope I'm making you all hungry.... Can you smell it? lol...

View attachment 120329
Here is my tuna sandwich after 10 minutes.
IMG_1954.jpeg