Sep 9, 2021
VetteCoins
Car
2014 Z51 corvette
Province
ON
Had the secondary cats removed from my stock X-pipe! I did a video of a cold start without the cats but I can't figure out how to upload the video.. It does sound good!

Attachments

• 72480315881__005BFF1E-1AC3-4F43-A65B-D59650F945B0.jpg
    72480315881__005BFF1E-1AC3-4F43-A65B-D59650F945B0.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Good riddance on the secondary cats ! I'm sure you'll love the change in sound. Do you still keep the primary cats on your headers? Any exhaust smelling issues after removing the secondaries ?

What axle backs did you put on? I've heard folks say that unlike other cars, there is not a significant change in sound from the stock axle backs so curious to hear your experience.

Reactions: Pocono kid
I do not have headers on my car right now but would i get better and louder sound after removing the secondary cats on mine?
Yes you would - its definitely a little louder and deeper sounding. Its got nothing to do with headers or lack thereof. If you go with aftermarket headers then you're really changing the whole system at that point

I do not have an axle back system but have heard a few and they can really make a difference. Something like a Corsa Extreme will wake up the dead. They do however have milder systems

Reactions: GrandSport17
Yes you would - its definitely a little louder and deeper sounding. Its got nothing to do with headers or lack thereof. If you go with aftermarket headers then you're really changing the whole system at that point

I do not have an axle back system but have heard a few and they can really make a difference. Something like a Corsa Extreme will wake up the dead. They do however have milder systems
Thanks for the feedback I am going to give that a try.

Currently have a Borla (60547) X pipe with the stock NPP and I enjoy the improved sound.
Will be installing the Billy Boat Gen 3 Fusion Axle Back Exhaust when the weather improves, looking forward to hearing what the difference will be. I choose the Fusion because I really like the Speedway Tips and it is bi modal, giving me the choice over fully open or closed valves.

Hi Kanuck. Where did you buy your BBE system? Did you purchase directly from Billy Boat? I'm interested in their catless x pipe. Was leaning towards Corsa but companies like them and Borla no longer make a bolt on catless x pipe...argh....😒. I'm happy with the level of performance out of the stock C7Z....just looking for some exhaust sound improvement.

Had the secondary cats removed from my stock X-pipe! I did a video of a cold start without the cats but I can't figure out how to upload the video.. It does sound good!
Any chance of seeing that video???? Think I'd prefer cutting the secondary cats out than buying an entire new catless x pipe.

Reactions: Pocono kid
Hi Kanuck. Where did you buy your BBE system? Did you purchase directly from Billy Boat? I'm interested in their catless x pipe. Was leaning towards Corsa but companies like them and Borla no longer make a bolt on catless x pipe...argh....😒. I'm happy with the level of performance out of the stock C7Z....just looking for some exhaust sound improvement.

I purchased the BBE from someone who sold their Vette before installing it. Did the install last weekend and is extraordinarily happy with the sound.
IMHO, sound being subjective,it is perfect for me, not very loud but a deeper tone than stock with some nice crackles. Haven't driven the Car since its still in storage but the start up,revs and idle sounds very nice. Nowhere near as loud as " Afterimage" in the video above but then again the ZR 1 is a totally different animal :) .

On another note, a co worker has the BBE catless x pipe purchased directly from BB installed on his C7 with no other Exhaust mods and it sounds good as well. Not as good as the Cat Back but good enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sturmgewehr