On the farm I would call it an 'accessory farm building to park my tractors in'... no permits or approvals necessary. Acreages on the other hand also have to follow rules that we can avoid.
True, there is a bit of no-permit builds still happening. Gotta get it right though as I have been called out “to come up with a fix” for a few structures that are questioned in the inspection process (ie: mortgage) for when property changes hand. This whole thing is definitely “not perfect” when working with issues from “this side of the fan”. I even get calls for when a house sale has an inner city prefab garden shed too close to a right-of-way. A $1200 shed then needs a $1000 relaxation on the land title for a mortgage to go thru on a resale. 💸💸💸 … so back on topic … only on the 3rd day of the 60 day development approval process … tick tock … I can’t wait to park in this garage 🤣

… processes do vary across the country too as my build in New Brunswick during covid was like a dream for when building in the 90’s here … even though I had to do it sight-unseen with travel lock-downs and with it taking forever with numerous delays.

Last edited:
YYC municipality accepted the garage Development proposal associated with why I stared this thread and negotiated for an 11ft ceiling (they would not allow me to go any higher). It now goes for 3 weeks of public notice. In the meantime getting old garage empty for demolition and clearing of all concrete for new. Building Permit application is hopeful for May 6. All the toys are scattered in storage units. “Affordable Garages” within the city have the same issues as “Affordable Housing” … nothing cheap on a budget so might as well go bigger & better. Lots of costly application and approval delay up to when the money actually gushes out of the vault for actual construction. Trying to break ground before the YYC Event Center breaks ground 😂

YYC municipality accepted the garage Development proposal associated with why I stared this thread and negotiated for an 11ft ceiling (they would not allow me to go any higher). It now goes for 3 weeks of public notice. In the meantime getting old garage empty for demolition and clearing of all concrete for new. Building Permit application is hopeful for May 6. All the toys are scattered in storage units. “Affordable Garages” within the city have the same issues as “Affordable Housing” … nothing cheap on a budget so might as well go bigger & better. Lots of costly application and approval delay up to when the money actually gushes out of the vault for actual construction. Trying to break ground before the YYC Event Center breaks ground 😂

Im going through the exact same thing right now ... applied last week to the committee of adjustments for Etobicoke / York .... building about a 900 square foot garage with almost 12 foot ceiling and a second floor above ... my architect told me they would never allow it unless it was connected to the house ... so i connected it to the house ;)

Just a money grab .... by the time all is said and done ... with all expenses ... permits in hand ... 20 - 25 K .... without removing one shovel of dirt ... if they even say yes

Bloody bureaucrats. That extra foot of height would be a terrible blight on the landscape…..:wrong:

Reactions: Vettenut and YFCvii
Im going through the exact same thing right now ... applied last week to the committee of adjustments for Etobicoke / York .... building about a 900 square foot garage with almost 12 foot ceiling and a second floor above ... my architect told me they would never allow it unless it was connected to the house ... so i connected it to the house ;)

Just a money grab .... by the time all is said and done ... with all expenses ... permits in hand ... 20 - 25 K .... without removing one shovel of dirt ... if they even say yes
WOW . Boggles the mind. :(

Yea whats even better is this ....

My architect told me that if the C of A rejects my application ... I can always appeal to the Ontario Land Tribunal ... and he said there they would approve me for sure

Just one caveat ... that would cost 30 - 50 grand :ROFL:
Enough to make someone go postal.

Reactions: YFCvii and Vettenut
Move to Alberta. Buy a 160 acre farm with your Toronto dollars and build whatever you want... Farm buildings don't need approvals or permits... Just sayin'true depending on building occupancy.
😂 feeling like I “sold the farm” to build this garage. 💸

Thought only livestock, material & farm equipment buildings are exempt … 🤔
… and a new house and garage on rural property would not be now … but not thinking hard on the idea though.

Reactions: Murray20c8
😂 feeling like I “sold the farm” to build this garage. 💸

Thought only livestock, material & farm equipment buildings are exempt … 🤔
… and a new house and garage on rural property would not be now … but not thinking hard on the idea though.
Farm buildings are exempt so I can park my tractor and skid steer once in a while and call it a farm building.

Reactions: YFCvii
Farm buildings are exempt so I can park my tractor and skid steer once in a while and call it a farm building.
Sadly in “this construction world” now (and until I retire from the circus), my applications always seem to get the “looks like a duck, quacks like a…” ruling. I cannot even get a basement wetbar approved with a range without it being considered as developing a basement suite and turned down. But ya I know … it’s a suite 😂

Yea whats even better is this ....

My architect told me that if the C of A rejects my application ... I can always appeal to the Ontario Land Tribunal ... and he said there they would approve me for sure

Just one caveat ... that would cost 30 - 50 grand :ROFL:
Wow … is that cost just to the Architect?

I do that part and get/save no where near that 💰. I did not attain my Arch stamp so that people would be able to hire me as a C.Tech (Arch). Can’t escape P.Eng. Costs though.

Hope your garage will be everything you want.
My optimism remains on results for mine.

Reactions: Vettenut
Move to Alberta. Buy a 160 acre farm with your Toronto dollars and build whatever you want... Farm buildings don't need approvals or permits... Just sayin'
Excellent suggestion. I’ve been giving that some thought myself. Except for the 160 acre part . Two acres would be perfect. No disrespect to anyone who likes or lives in a large city but to me they are fine to visit once in a while but would not like to live in one.

Sadly in “this construction world” now (and until I retire from the circus), my applications always seem to get the “looks like a duck, quacks like a…” ruling. I cannot even get a basement wetbar approved with a range without it being considered as developing a basement suite and turned down. But ya I know … it’s a suite 😂
It's sad actually. A man's (or woman's) castle is far from actually being theirs anymore. Being in my position, I am really shocked that putting a wet bar and a range in your basement should be any of their business. Now. If you started renting it out as a separate suite i can understand it's maybe against zoning. I guess I'm a rebel because if I wanted to put a stove and wet bar in my basement, I wouldn't even consider submitting an application for something that's really none of their business. If you wanted to install a 105 inch TV screen would they deny it in case you were opening a theatre? I thank my lucky stars every time I hear a story like yours and you are far from being alone.

Excellent suggestion. I’ve been giving that some thought myself. Except for the 160 acre part . Two acres would be perfect. No disrespect to anyone who likes or lives in a large city but to me they are fine to visit once in a while but would not like to live in one.
I thought not putting all my eggs in one basket was an ok idea … got a little bit each of rural, urban and maritime hamlet shack …
Now the Under-utilized Housing Tax has this idea all screwed up. Gonna hafta choose a basket pretty quick 💸

It's sad actually. A man's (or woman's) castle is far from actually being theirs anymore. Being in my position, I am really shocked that putting a wet bar and a range in your basement should be any of their business. Now. If you started renting it out as a separate suite i can understand it's maybe against zoning. I guess I'm a rebel because if I wanted to put a stove and wet bar in my basement, I wouldn't even consider submitting an application for something that's really none of their business. If you wanted to install a 105 inch TV screen would they deny it in case you were opening a theatre? I thank my lucky stars every time I hear a story like yours and you are far from being alone.
Exactly … and much of my experience comes as wearing the hired consultant hat. On pace of doing about 150 projects this year of all sort.
I have many of them with legal suites. This garage is closest to my heart as it will store my own toys 😇

Reactions: 1st Vette
I thought not putting all my eggs in one basket was an ok idea … got a little bit each of rural, urban and maritime hamlet shack …
Now the Under-utilized Housing Tax has this idea all screwed up. Gonna hafta choose a basket pretty quick 💸
As of the last several years government oversight and overreach have gotten out of control at every level not to mention the over regulation of just about every aspect of daily life. The Under-utilized Housing Tax you mentioned is a perfect example. I saw recently where Toronto were considering a rain tax ! Past time for an overhaul. That pretty well covers the overs …..we can dream I suppose.

• Agree
Reactions: YFCvii
As of the last several years government oversight and overreach have gotten out of control at every level not to mention the over regulation of just about every aspect of daily life. The Under-utilized Housing Tax you mentioned is a perfect example. I saw recently where Toronto were considering a rain tax ! Past time for an overhaul. That pretty well covers the overs …..we can dream I suppose.
Unfortunately, a dream is pretty much all we can have.

• Sad
Reactions: 1st Vette
Can't you vault your trusses? Especially if its only 1 storey. That will give you the extra ceiling height without raising the outside wall height.