Wow … is that cost just to the Architect?

I do that part and get/save no where near that 💰. I did not attain my Arch stamp so that people would be able to hire me as a C.Tech (Arch). Can’t escape P.Eng. Costs though.

Hope your garage will be everything you want.
My optimism remains on results for mine.

:):) Heres a bit of a breakdown of the various open hands .... Architect plus structural engineer stamp plus HVAC designer as the building will be attatched to my house and im opening up my attic ... it will all be climate controlled ( second floor not the garage ) however when all the inspectors are gone I will add a gas unit heater to the garage space but no A/C..

Then you have city fees ... zoning review ... Committee of Adjustment fees and hearing ... representation for said hearing and then the final costs of all the associated permits ... I may have left some small things out that i cant remember but thats pretty much it ... and again that is just from conception to permits

Oh this might give you a laugh ... because im going to Committee ... I have to post a sign for 10 days before the hearing ... explaining what the hearing is about ..

Ok no problem ... I called the city and offered to go pick up the sign to save them a trip ... wow they were so nice and told me that would not be necessary

As they would be sending me a PDF file and I will have to make up the sign at like Staples or something ... at additional expense ... and they even stipulate what material the sign has to be made of ... because I guess I havent given them enough cash already

All for the privilege of having them tell me what I can and cant do on my own property :ROFL:

Although I doubt it will reach 25 k .... 20 k for sure wont be enough

Can't you vault your trusses? Especially if its only 1 storey. That will give you the extra ceiling height without raising the outside wall height.
Suggestions & Ideas are always appreciated in my books … so here’s how my days go in approvals. The max 11ft is measured from the top of slab around the perimeter. At no point can it exceed the height of 11ft. So the raked exterior wall of the vault on the sides would not be permitted and to make sure, they had me hip the roof for an 11ft perimeter gutter line to take all water shed to back alley downspouts.
I could tray the ceiling up but too costly.
Oh … they would only concider side gables if I needed to roof area for solar panels … so 11 ft ceilings will have to work for me 🙏🏻
It’s always easiest working within by laws but 4 car bays (triple with 1 tandem bay) is an automatic DP due to slab area alone.
The old garage got emptied today so we can now step up demolition day … YaY always fun to destroy some things 😂

:):) Heres a bit of a breakdown of the various open hands .... Architect plus structural engineer stamp plus HVAC designer as the building will be attatched to my house and im opening up my attic ... it will all be climate controlled ( second floor not the garage ) however when all the inspectors are gone I will add a gas unit heater to the garage space but no A/C..

Then you have city fees ... zoning review ... Committee of Adjustment fees and hearing ... representation for said hearing and then the final costs of all the associated permits ... I may have left some small things out that i cant remember but thats pretty much it ... and again that is just from conception to permits

Oh this might give you a laugh ... because im going to Committee ... I have to post a sign for 10 days before the hearing ... explaining what the hearing is about ..

Ok no problem ... I called the city and offered to go pick up the sign to save them a trip ... wow they were so nice and told me that would not be necessary

As they would be sending me a PDF file and I will have to make up the sign at like Staples or something ... at additional expense ... and they even stipulate what material the sign has to be made of ... because I guess I havent given them enough cash already

All for the privilege of having them tell me what I can and cant do on my own property :ROFL:

Although I doubt it will reach 25 k .... 20 k for sure wont be enough
Ok that explains the 💸

I can take the place of much of what an Arch and P.Eng. will do in Alberta but my work will still need an Engineers stamp on it. It does save a substantial amount of 💰for builders/homeowners. Basically I do the work and the P.Eng. Gets to take the credit 😂

Approval fees and delay with more fees are pretty much the first step of what makes “affordable housing” … unaffordable. 😡

Ok that explains the 💸

I can take the place of much of what an Arch and P.Eng. will do in Alberta but my work will still need an Engineers stamp on it. It does save a substantial amount of 💰for builders/homeowners. Basically I do the work and the P.Eng. Gets to take the credit 😂

Approval fees and delay with more fees are pretty much the first step of what makes “affordable housing” … unaffordable. 😡

Thats great ... always do whatever you can yourself ... my " architect " is not really an architect but an architecual designer ... a ' BCIN ' but hes awesome ... very smart and very helpful , however I can hardly wait to see how things will develop when ( as you said so eloquently ) the vault really opens up ;)

Good luck and dont stress ... because I know this process is like pulling teeth without anesthetic ... as for me ... looking forward to what comes next ;)

Thats great ... always do whatever you can yourself ... my " architect " is not really an architect but an architecual designer ... a ' BCIN ' but hes awesome ... very smart and very helpful , however I can hardly wait to see how things will develop when ( as you said so eloquently ) the vault really opens up ;)

Good luck and dont stress ... because I know this process is like pulling teeth without anesthetic ... as for me ... looking forward to what comes next ;)
Man it really depends on the jurisdiction you are located in. I am about to resume building my replacement deck which is 16x36 x4 feet high. Not a small structure by any means. I went to city hall to pull a permit and talked to the building inspector who pointed me to a City web page with their requirements which are pretty much just National Building Code and he said give him a call when I’m done. He also said that he wouldn’t be carrying a tape or a level when he shows up , lol . I paid the $74 fee and walked out the door.
Fifteen minutes tops.

... my " architect " is not really an architect but an architecual designer ... a ' BCIN ' but hes awesome ... very smart and very helpful …
Ok .. thats what I do 👍🏻 … Alberta certified engineering tech in Arch & Bldg Develpment.
Hence being hands on with many approvals … even when it’s my own.

Reactions: Vettenut
Man it really depends on the jurisdiction you are located in. I am about to resume building my replacement deck which is 16x36 x4 feet high. Not a small structure by any means. I went to city hall to pull a permit and talked to the building inspector who pointed me to a City web page with their requirements which are pretty much just National Building Code and he said give him a call when I’m done. He also said that he wouldn’t be carrying a tape or a level when he shows up , lol . I paid the $74 fee and walked out the door.
Fifteen minutes tops.
Yup By Law Development and Building code are actually apples and oranges.
Development approval is just the “okee-dokee” to do it. Once in hand, then the Building permit (code compliance) application happens 💸

You by-pass Development approval when your proposal fits within documented rules. Decks only get “stink-eyed” in the city when above the main floor level (ie balcony) and on top of a garage roof. Again … depends on where you live is the way to say it 😃👍🏻

Fifteen minutes tops.

Im sure the deck will be awesome ... Kudos to you for making the effort to get a permit .... most in my neck of the woods only get permits for anything if they are afraid of the neighbors calling to rat them out
Or the project they are doing is too big and they cant hide it

Yup By Law Development and Building code are actually apples and oranges.
Development approval is just the “okee-dokee” to do it. Once in hand, then the Building permit (code compliance) application happens 💸

You by-pass Development approval when your proposal fits within documented rules. Decks only get “stink-eyed” in the city when above the main floor level (ie balcony) and on top of a garage roof. Again … depends on where you live is the way to say it 😃👍🏻
True enough. Here they only get involved if the deck is more than 2 feet above grade otherwise you could deck your entire lot if you felt like it. If you have your ducks in a row Development approval for residential construction usually is no more than 6 weeks if I recall correctly.

• Agree
Reactions: YFCvii and Vettenut
Im sure the deck will be awesome ... Kudos to you for making the effort to get a permit .... most in my neck of the woods only get permits for anything if they are afraid of the neighbors calling to rat them out
Or the project they are doing is too big and they cant hide it
It’s cheap and easy so why not. Thankfully the price of treated lumber has come back down to earth but who knows by mid summer. Not as much free money being pumped out so that should help.

• Agree
Reactions: Vettenut