I'm a huge sim racer. Been on iRacing for 4 years. I have a full setup. VRS DD wheel base, Cube Controls Wheel, VRS pedals, custom rig, custom dash, custom button box. I have tactiles in my seat so I can feel the road and bumps. I belong to several teams that compete in endurance racing.
Interesting, so are you one of several drivers on a team and you switch somehow over several hours?

Interesting, so are you one of several drivers on a team and you switch somehow over several hours?
You switch at pitstops. During 24 hour races, most teams run 4 or 5 drivers. Depending on the car you are driving determines the number of stints you do. For example, a GT car will run approx 55 minutes from full fuel at Daytona. This is not taking into account drafting or any type of fuel saving. Most drivers will double stint, so you are in the car for approx 1 hr and 50 minutes. You want to switch drivers when a full stop occurs to minimize time lost. Full fuel and all tires. On the teams I run with, it is the responsibility of the driver getting into the car to set all pit stop conditions. The driver getting out of the car is responsible for setting the car conditions back to normal on the in lap so that there is no time lost in the pits resetting the car. On GT cars you can set engine mapping, TC, ABS, brake bias. And when scheduling stints, you have to build in some sleep time!!!!

This is serious business for those of us who take the hobby seriously. We can spend weeks as a team setting up the car and running laps. We have spread sheets to calculate the race setups and conditions and to track the race strategy. Endurance racing is like a game of chess. The actual racing car to car doesn't occur until the last hour of the race when every teams strategy comes into focus.

So anytime between now and August. Let us know when the plow makes it's last run down your street so you can take delivery...
We do have that two to three week window once a year between break up and freeze up when the Polar Bears aren’t too hungry and it’s fairly safe to go outside. I’ll keep you updated if I make it through.

You switch at pitstops. During 24 hour races, most teams run 4 or 5 drivers. Depending on the car you are driving determines the number of stints you do. For example, a GT car will run approx 55 minutes from full fuel at Daytona. This is not taking into account drafting or any type of fuel saving. Most drivers will double stint, so you are in the car for approx 1 hr and 50 minutes. You want to switch drivers when a full stop occurs to minimize time lost. Full fuel and all tires. On the teams I run with, it is the responsibility of the driver getting into the car to set all pit stop conditions. The driver getting out of the car is responsible for setting the car conditions back to normal on the in lap so that there is no time lost in the pits resetting the car. On GT cars you can set engine mapping, TC, ABS, brake bias. And when scheduling stints, you have to build in some sleep time!!!!

This is serious business for those of us who take the hobby seriously. We can spend weeks as a team setting up the car and running laps. We have spread sheets to calculate the race setups and conditions and to track the race strategy. Endurance racing is like a game of chess. The actual racing car to car doesn't occur until the last hour of the race when every teams strategy comes into focus.
Not much different than IMSA or WEC! Wow! So does the software know when you are switching?

Not much different than IMSA or WEC! Wow! So does the software know when you are switching?
Yes. You need to bind a Enter/Exit Car button to your wheel/button box/keyboard. When you drive into your pit box and stop, you need to press and hold the button for 3 seconds to exit. Your view automatically switches from cockpit in car to Spot mode outside of the car. At the same time, your teammates monitors in Spot mode remove my name from In Car and add a new icon that says the car is empty. Your teammate presses their Enter/Exit car button or the icon and then their view then switches to cockpit and the teammates Spot mode then states who is in the car.

All of this is tracked to ensure that all teammates have their fair share of driving. A fair share is 25% of an equal amount. For example, 4 drivers in 24 hours is 6 hours each. 25% of 6 hours is 1 hour and 30 minutes. This means all teammates must have at least 90 minutes total in race. If a teammate does not meet the fair share rule, the team is disqualified.

I'm a huge sim racer. Been on iRacing for 4 years. I have a full setup. VRS DD wheel base, Cube Controls Wheel, VRS pedals, custom rig, custom dash, custom button box. I have tactiles in my seat so I can feel the road and bumps. I belong to several teams that compete in endurance racing.
Do you generally run that wheel base at the full 20 NM ? Or do you have it dialed down some and it’s just nice to have the headroom if so desired .That’s pretty serious torque for sure.

Do you generally run that wheel base at the full 20 NM ? Or do you have it dialed down some and it’s just nice to have the headroom if so desired .That’s pretty serious torque for sure.
I set max force in my base software to 65%. In iRacing, I still tell the software I am using a 20nm base. Then I run test laps and allow iRacing to auto configure the max force to prevent clipping. From here I fine tune the max force for each car. I want iRacing to use the maximum amount of bandwidth so I do not lose the finer, softer forces, but without ripping the wheel out of my hands in an accident.

The maximum torque is also a function of the size of the wheel rim as well. I run a 280mm rim so if I were to change to a 300mm rim without changing any settings the wheel would feel weaker because I have a larger lever with the larger wheel.

Reactions: 1st Vette
I set max force in my base software to 65%. In iRacing, I still tell the software I am using a 20nm base. Then I run test laps and allow iRacing to auto configure the max force to prevent clipping. From here I fine tune the max force for each car. I want iRacing to use the maximum amount of bandwidth so I do not lose the finer, softer forces, but without ripping the wheel out of my hands in an accident.

The maximum torque is also a function of the size of the wheel rim as well. I run a 280mm rim so if I were to change to a 300mm rim without changing any settings the wheel would feel weaker because I have a larger lever with the larger wheel.
Got it . I’m just now set up on a study desk as the cockpit has yet to arrive. Haven’t even fired up any sims yet as I’ve been cutting wood all day because the forecast for tomorrow night is-40c after record warm for the last two months. Only had the wheel and pedals for two days. Just installed the software and that’s about it. Given the pending weather though I probably won’t be out of the house for the next week so the fun starts tomorrow!
Do you use any other racing games/sims than iRacing or is that your main focus? Thanks for the reply.

Got it . I’m just now set up on a study desk as the cockpit has yet to arrive. Haven’t even fired up any sims yet as I’ve been cutting wood all day because the forecast for tomorrow night is-40c after record warm for the last two months. Only had the wheel and pedals for two days. Just installed the software and that’s about it. Given the pending weather though I probably won’t be out of the house for the next week so the fun starts tomorrow!
Do you use any other racing games/sims than iRacing or is that your main focus? Thanks for the reply.
I also race on ACC in the LFM community. LFM is Low Fuel Motorsport and they are a third party that run an iRacing type matchmaking system using ACC. Its not bad, but nowhere near as integrated as well as iRacing. I'd say 95% of my time is spent in iRacing.

There are differences in the way both sims address force feedback. iRacing only provides force feedback based on real world forces, so those that will only be felt through the steering rack. ACC embellishes the force feedback by adding other forces to give you the "seat of the pants" feeling. Also the ACC model of braking is basically mash as brake as hard as possible and then trial off. Basically always engage the ABS. iRacing is different. You don't want to engage the ABS as ultimately it is slower. You need to learn to get to the ABS threshold and then trail off. You need to master trail braking as this is the fastest method.

Reactions: 1st Vette
I also race on ACC in the LFM community. LFM is Low Fuel Motorsport and they are a third party that run an iRacing type matchmaking system using ACC. Its not bad, but nowhere near as integrated as well as iRacing. I'd say 95% of my time is spent in iRacing.

There are differences in the way both sims address force feedback. iRacing only provides force feedback based on real world forces, so those that will only be felt through the steering rack. ACC embellishes the force feedback by adding other forces to give you the "seat of the pants" feeling. Also the ACC model of braking is basically mash as brake as hard as possible and then trial off. Basically always engage the ABS. iRacing is different. You don't want to engage the ABS as ultimately it is slower. You need to learn to get to the ABS threshold and then trail off. You need to master trail braking as this is the fastest method.
Definitely a learning curve compared to the arcade type games. I finally fired up my wheel last night with it bolted to my desk, which is very solid, but quickly realized there was no point as every time I tried to break I ended up two feet back from where I was sitting, lol . Going to wait for the cockpit and get it set up properly. Have to back off the break resistance and get the wheel configured, it will store five different configurations on board, which can be changed while in game but no point until I get the cockpit. Really looking forward to it , great hobby. Thanks again for the reply.

Reactions: Murray20c8
Here's a race I did a few months ago. Get your adrenaline flowing....Of course I'm in a Vette;)

Very nice! I love Spa , has to be one of the best purpose built race tracks out there. You have the line through Eau Rouge down pat . I think you have a few miles under your belt, or should I say foot , lol . The graphics are really good as well and the time of day progression really adds to the atmosphere with the sun in your eyes more towards the end. I believe the tracks are all laser scanned are they not ? Frame rate looks to be more than adequate. What are your pc specs ? I can’t wait to get racing again, I’ve been missing it .

All of iRacing tracks and cars are laser scanned. The cars are built using the actual race team data that they are willing to give up. Some things are meant to be left secret!!!

PC is 5600x CPU overclocked, X570 mobo, 32Gb DDR4 3200Mhz, NVMe M.2 x2(500Gb and 1000Tb), 2070 GPU. I really want to upgrade to at least a 4070 next, but I only run 1080p @ 144Mhz monitors so the 2070 is fine. Plus I would need to upgrade my power supply as well to a 850W. My framerate averages about 100 - 144 fps depending on the track. Framerate does drop at the beginning of the race because of the number of cars it has to draw but no less than 70 for a few seconds. Daytona at night is usually the harshest for framerates.

I'm still learning how to capture video and it only captures the centre screen and that youtube video is the best I've gotten so far. It actually looks far better than the video suggests.

Those are very reasonable specs for the resolution you are using. Really not going to notice the difference between say 120 and 144 fps anyway. Of course as you correctly pointed out it’s the minimum fps that you notice. Just rebuilt a friend’s machine a couple of weeks ago and replaced his 3700x with a 5800x3d on an x-570 chipset which are really reasonable right now and big difference. Also upgraded his gpu to a 4070 ti from sli’d 780 ti’s . As you can imagine, night and day. If you’re thinking of upgrading those two things would be huge. The Asus 4070 ti is quicker than my EVGA 3080 ti ftw3 but the issue I see with that card is the 12 gb of V-ram is only operating on a 128 bit buss . In a week or two the revised “ super “ 4070ti will be available with 16 gb GDDR6x memory on a 256 bit buss and you could run at 4K no problem. And a huge difference on your triple monitors which of course is three times the pixels of a single. Just a thought. Good move on the NVME’s . Power supply would be fine as the 4070ti is more efficient being on a smaller node .

Last edited:
Reactions: jwl300
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread