When I consider that our old COPO Chevelle went close to 200K miles on the conventional oils of the day, i really wonder if synthetic oil is really worth the extra money. When I disassembled that engine for restoration purposes, the pistons slid out of nice looking bores and the bearings were still in good shape. While the oil was changed regularly and most driving was highway, the car certainly was never babied. 7200 rpm shifts a couple of times and tons of 6500 shifts. There is no gold in synthetic oils and nothing else either that would warrant anywhere near the prices charged for the stuff. If there is something, I'd certainly like to know what it is. A local guy has an airplane that isn't flown regularly and sits for months at a time. During oil analysis, bearing material was starting to show up in the oil. It was finally diagnosed as the synthetic oil was getting squeezed out from between the crank and bearings during long idle times and a dry start was happening. This never happened with the conventional oils. Now I am wondering if this could happen when our cars are stored over winter. I've used Mobil 1 for quite a few years now with no problems that I am aware of so it might not be a problem. Could have been a misdiagnosis on the airplane engine too but there was nothing else obvious. Anyone else ever heard of this?

Interesting about the oil analysis Keith. In my Chevelle, at the start of the year, I would crank the engine until I saw oil pressure then stop and let the starter rest for a bit. Then I would crank it, give the pedal a few pumps and it would fire up.
I've always wanted a way to pre-pressurize the oil system before starting my new car but haven't found anything practical yet.

I know many people do not believe me when I say this, they say read the manual that talks about starting the car when flooded. Pedal to the floor.

I put my gas pedal to the floor and crank the motor. It will not start but does pump up oil pressure. I do this in the spring and if the car has sat for an extended length of time. Not once has the car ever fired up. Oil pressure always comes up. Not suggesting anyone try this but it works on my 03.

Interesting about the oil analysis Keith. In my Chevelle, at the start of the year, I would crank the engine until I saw oil pressure then stop and let the starter rest for a bit. Then I would crank it, give the pedal a few pumps and it would fire up.
I've always wanted a way to pre-pressurize the oil system before starting my new car but haven't found anything practical yet.

Here is what you need. http://www.accusump.com/ It would probably be a good idea on any performance car that isn't running a dry sump.
GM designed the system so that the engine does what Murray says. Pedal to the metal, no fuel.

interesting about the aviation oil thing. I used to fly a cessna 150 , yeah that oil is different stuff compared to car oil but I never heard of it doing like what said. For many years I been adding Power Up additive to engine and gear oils just as a added safety thing and it does help in less friction too thus less heat build up. I know of one guy years ago that the oil pan cracked and lost all the oil in a 312 ford, drove a few miles not knowing what happened, additive must of worked cause the engine never seized . I just changed my 82 to synthetic so will see but conventional oil always stayed clear in it and never burned a drop so maybe just the idea of expensive stuff in the pan make a guy feel better ?? The 0-40 synthetic stuff is a big plus in diesel winter starting, engine has oil pressure right now on the guage plus it spins fast right off.

Keith, if your friend has a Rotax 912 4 stroke engine then it is certified for synthetic oil. If, however, it is a Lycoming or Teledyne Continental engine which still power 80% of all aircraft today they are not certified for synthetic oil use. Perhaps that is why your guy is having some issues. You might ask him about that as the tolerances in an aircraft engine are very different than a car engine and heavier oils are usually used in aircraft engines. I have owned and flown many aircraft as you know and have never used synthetic in any of them. I do use synthetic in the ZR1 though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread