Todd Martin

I'm New Here
Apr 10, 2016
Belleville,Ont.
VetteCoins
Car
1978 Corvette L82
1978 Vett. Told I need a Left Rear Wheel Bearing and needs a special tool to do it. Anyone know where I can get this done as I'm in Belleville,Ont. And do you know roughly what it would cost for parts and labor? Thank you.

You can do it without special tools if you are inventive. I made my own spindle press and used the spindle to figure out the correct shims. The tool you can buy to figure out the shims would probably be worth while now that I know what I know. The problem with these cars is the preload on the rear bearings is set with shims so it can be a bit of guess and test work. I reassembled my own in my rebuild and ended up pushing each spindle out 2 times before I got the shims right. You want to check run out and end play. I forget the target but i think my end play was 0.002" on one side and 0.0015" on the other. I would definitely not trust and average mechanic shop to do this (but I dont trust many mechanics and that is why I do things myself). I would find a shop very familiar with C2 and C3 vettes to do this job if you are not going to tackle it yourself. There are many good youtube videos and articles I suggest looking at before you tackle it though.

Maybe talk with Manny at Dasilva

Hope this helps.

T

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.