You're 5
Nov 4, 2018
Boston
VetteCoins
Car
2004 Z06
Province
USA
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the steering lock recall on C5's. When I bought my car
I didn't know about the recall, so I was unaware if it had the factory fix.Doing some research I came across a company called( complianceparts.com ) and they offer an easy to install part called the LMC5 and, a how to video on YouTube. I purchased one to keep in the glove box in case it does lockup,but I was wondering if I should just install it as a preventative measure?Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 960x140cp-49-91-132a.jpg
    960x140cp-49-91-132a.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_4118.JPG
    IMG_4118.JPG
    735.7 KB · Views: 60
The lock issue is on both the C5 and C6 early model cars. I have experienced it on my 2005 C6. There are a few different modules on the market that plug in and bypass the computer so the steering wheel does not lock. This, in my opinion is the best way because if the column locks up you may have to take the car in to have GM take the column apart to repair. I bought my unit from West Coast Corvette. I had one form the southern states but it failed after 3 years so have this new one installed. good luck and drive on!

Thanks for the reply RockyPM,I think I will put it in.I was always under the notion of, if its not broken don't fix it.But I don't think that would be wise in this case.....

Ron, the column lock on my C5 was eliminated through the computer. It was done by one of our forum sponsors and I have never had any issues with it. Touch wood.

Might be worth asking around your area if there is a tuner that could do that for you. I also had the auto on headlights shut off at the same time. Saves wear and tear on the motors/gear assembly in the headlights.

Good luck with yours.

I installed the LMC5 bypass shortly after getting my car in 2015 and it has worked perfectly since. However, if I had known it could be turned off via the computer, I would have done that instead. LMC5 is a pretty easy job, but the computer method would be easier and safer for sure. Good luck.

I installed the lmc5 few month ago, i did the regular connection and still had the pull key message, so i did the Brown wire connection and every thing is working well. You shoult go right away with the Brown wire connection.

• Informative
Reactions: Hotrodron
I installed the lmc5 few month ago, i did the regular connection and still had the pull key message, so i did the Brown wire connection and every thing is working well. You shoult go right away with the Brown wire connection.

What is the brown wire connection? I’ve never heard about that fix.I haven’t installed the lmc5 yet,so I’d like to look into it.

Finally installed the LMC5 module today .I watched the sellers YouTube video first and, it made the installation much easier.I didn't do the brown wire connection though but, I disconnected the lock relay which is located above the computer so the steering wheel lock won't engage. Also pulled fuse #23 in the footwell fuse panel before disconnecting the battery with the key on to stop the lock from engaging.Then reinstalled the fuse before installing the LMC5.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.