Apr 2, 2023
VetteCoins
Car
2023 C8 Z51
Province
ON
I heard horrors about joyrides and abuse of cars and I am a bit worried that I need to leave the car at a PPF shop for a few days.

I am thinking of leaving a printed notice in the vehicle asking not to rev the engine and that PDR is recording automatically.

Any ideas on how to phrase it tactfully but clearly?

I am thinking of hanging something like this from the rearview mirror:
Screenshot from 2023-05-20 22-07-45.png

I would just say to the Service Manager that you don't want your car test driven because you have heard the horror stories about the mechanics driving customer's Corvettes. My dealer let one of their oil change tech's change my oil. They spilled oil all over the bottom panels. It's known that the oil change task is performed by the most inexperienced apprentices. Any way, that was my first and last visit to the dealer. I just don't trust them....

Reactions: BCL
I wouldn't tell them about the PDR. I didn't and then watched the footage later.
I might respectfully remind them about the break-in, but these guys get lambo's and Ferrari's all the time. They know what's up.

• Agree
Reactions: BCL and Rruuff Day
Just curious. Why would they need to "test drive" a car, if all they're doing is applying PPF?
Or some other liquid coating?
To see whether the nose film peels back above 60 mph?
Also, put your sign on the steering wheel.

Reactions: BCL
Just curious. Why would they need to "test drive" a car, if all they're doing is applying PPF?
With mine they just drove it out of their garage every morning and into it at night until they were finished with it.

Reactions: BCL and MKinOntario
With mine they just drove it out of their garage every morning and into it at night until they were finished with it.
Did you get yours done shortly after taking delivery, or was it some where down the road (pun intended)?
I ask because I wonder whether it might be better to put 1500 break in miles on it, before handing it off to a PPF shop?

Also, put your sign on the steering wheel.
They need to 'test drive' a car to be able to tell their friends they drove one. I had a 280Z Datsun back in 1980 that I took in for tires. I looked at the mileage when I dropped it off and it increased by 90 km when I picked it up. When I blew a nut on them, supposedly the tech took it for a test drive and went home for lunch with it.... Yeah right. He goes 45 km home for lunch every day? Needless to say, they never saw any of my vehicles ever again.

They need to 'test drive' a car to be able to tell their friends they drove one. I had a 280Z Datsun back in 1980 that I took in for tires. I looked at the mileage when I dropped it off and it increased by 90 km when I picked it up. When I blew a nut on them, supposedly the tech took it for a test drive and went home for lunch with it.... Yeah right. He goes 45 km home for lunch every day? Needless to say, they never saw any of my vehicles ever again.
Totally makes sense. Narcissism.
I generally note the odometer before dropping off any vehicles.
Usually the shop also wants to record the odometer reading, so there are 2 records of it.
If there's a ressonable, logical reason for a short test drive, I'm OK wth that, but 90kms is a bit over the top.

By 1980 there was a lot of nonsense that caused a lot of laws to change to fix that crap. Now-a-days they record the mileage etc. but still shiRt happens. That's why we go to reputable services and usually recommended by our peers.

Reactions: MKinOntario
Did you get yours done shortly after taking delivery, or was it some where down the road (pun intended)?
I ask because I wonder whether it might be better to put 1500 break in miles on it, before handing it off to a PPF shop?
It was about a month after picking it up. I couldn't stomach being without it LOL.

Reactions: MKinOntario

Mine went almost directly from dealer to PPF about 22 km. The PPF installer here is very reputable and my PDR indicated the car was moved within the shop twice to reposition and then moved outside into mid-day sun once to examine. Rpms were idle and under 5 minutes.
I think any reputable company will not mistreat a car as their rep would be soon shattered. I think leaving a note would be slightly insulting however, during discussion of the service, mentioning the car is still within break-in period should be adequate.

Mine went almost directly from dealer to PPF about 22 km. The PPF installer here is very reputable and my PDR indicated the car was moved within the shop twice to reposition and then moved outside into mid-day sun once to examine. Rpms were idle and under 5 minutes.
I think any reputable company will not mistreat a car as their rep would be soon shattered. I think leaving a note would be slightly insulting however, during discussion of the service, mentioning the car is still within break-in period should be adequate.
That's exactly what I did. I know it's hard to finally get the car and then have to wait a few days AGAIN to get the PPF and ceramic done. However, I would hate it if I got stone chips that wouldn't have occurred if I'd taken it directly. Oh, and I also think the note is overkill...just mention the break in period.

That's exactly what I did. I know it's hard to finally get the car and then have to wait a few days AGAIN to get the PPF and ceramic done. However, I would hate it if I got stone chips that wouldn't have occurred if I'd taken it directly. Oh, and I also think the note is overkill...just mention the break in period.
Quick question about the "PDR". Does it come on automatically whenever the engine is started and transmission engaged, and can it be password protected by the user/owner, to prevent tampering with the A/V, or to prevent deletion?

Once set for both video and audio , it comes on every time the car is started. It can be turned off easily by the operator and no it can not be password protected. The card can be removed and destroyed if they want to.
So, they could remove the card, if they became aware of some "funny business" with the vehicle while in their care, wipe it in a laptop, and put it back?
However, the odometer never lies.....
Good to know, in any case. Thanks.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.