I know of at least two people who were banned from buying corvettes from their dealers. Now here is the best part one guy had purchased four corvettes and sold them every two months before they caught on to him. But still one of the biggest issues is the back room deals with too many big GTA dealerships! I drove a friend of mine to pick up his new C8 last year at one of these clowns and there is no point saying there names but the one lady who was also picking her car as well was bragging that she had one more in transit and two coming with in a few months because her friend owned the dealership. One of the Alberta dealerships as some you guys may have seen here on the forums had at one point 8 new one for 30K over MSRP and the dealerships are not allowed to order them for stock they must be sold orders but they still get away with it and everybody including the big brass knows and nothing really happens.

How can a dealer register a lien in a car that is paid for. That being used as a form or market control is illegal. You can sell as you please. It might hurt you ordering a new GM vehicle based on their policy but they cannot in effect stop you selling it. No agreement or contract can take away that right.
They can and do. We've had examples on here.

The mothership has issues with what people do with their cars. Why people put up with this is beyond me, complaining that people are sending cars to the US market upsetting the proverbial apple cart. I struggle to believe that Canadian cars are subsidized. Why would they when they could sell them for full pop in the US or overseas?

This is the same company who allows and looks the other way when some of their dealers abuse customers. One dealer who a few members on here brag about their high standards apparently were indeed putting liens on customers cars.

Funny we don't get much of a say when this same company comes begging for taxpayer dollars to cover their incompetence.

• Agree
Reactions: Rruuff Day
The mothership has issues with what people do with their cars. Why people put up with this is beyond me, complaining that people are sending cars to the US market upsetting the proverbial apple cart. I struggle to believe that Canadian cars are subsidized. Why would they when they could sell them for full pop in the US or overseas?
The cars sell here for well below the U.S. price plus the exchange rate. You tell me. Are they over priced in the U.S.? I call it subsidizing. It could be another name, but there you have it. The cars are much cheaper for them to buy and import.

The cars sell here for well below the U.S. price plus the exchange rate. You tell me. Are they over priced in the U.S.? I call it subsidizing. It could be another name, but there you have it. The cars are much cheaper for them to buy and import.
Still does not answer the question of why? Certainly was not the case in previous Corvette generations, in fact it was the other way around.

Still does not answer the question of why? Certainly was not the case in previous Corvette generations, in fact it was the other way around.
No idea. I've never followed Corvette pricing before the 2020's.
The only thing I can think of is "lost leader". It is GM's marquee car.
I can't figure out a lot of things. Americans love ketchup, but they don't have ketchup chips! ;)

Manufacturers price cars at what the market will bear. They thus feel (know?) that the Canadian market can’t bear what the US market can.
Thom if that is the case how can GM Financial Group make the decision that the Canadian market cannot bear a price over Americans then allow some in their dealer network to add 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 thousand and up price add ons for a C8. Are they that incompetent, well maybe.

They can and do. We've had examples on here
Anyone who has had this happen please reply.

If they financed or leased through GM the lien is a justified lien. It would be financial in nature. If it’s to control the car how can you post a lien amount when zero balance is owed to them? What figure, dollar amount is attached to this “lien?” If the customer paid in full or had a loan from another institution, and also shows the dealer registered a lien against the car, that is not legal as far as I know. I’ll run this by a lawyer friend when I see him. It’s an outright misrepresentation and lie for them to claim and attach one. I have not seen or heard of this in the community or forums other than your post. Or anywhere in the car world, including cars outside of Corvettes. It’s your right to sell the car. They can penalize you on purchasing a future GM product but they can’t stop you from selling the car. Imagine if you had a financial crisis and you want to sell the car and they said no. So would you lose to the car to the bank and destroy your credit rating? None of this makes sense. You cannot make or enforce a contract that gives up someone’s inalienable rights.

Anyone who has had this happen please reply.

If they financed or leased through GM the lien is a justified lien. It would be financial in nature. If it’s to control the car how can you post a lien amount when zero balance is owed to them? What figure, dollar amount is attached to this “lien?” If the customer paid in full or had a loan from another institution, and also shows the dealer registered a lien against the car, that is not legal as far as I know. I’ll run this by a lawyer friend when I see him. It’s an outright misrepresentation and lie for them to claim and attach one. I have not seen or heard of this in the community or forums other than your post. Or anywhere in the car world, including cars outside of Corvettes. It’s your right to sell the car. They can penalize you on purchasing a future GM product but they can’t stop you from selling the car. Imagine if you had a financial crisis and you want to sell the car and they said no. So would you lose to the car to the bank and destroy your credit rating? None of this makes sense. You cannot make or enforce a contract that gives up someone’s inalienable rights.
Dealers who do this are upfront that a $1 lien will placed and is a condition of the sale. you have the right to decline and walk away from the deal and they will sell to the next guy.

lien
/ˈlē(ə)n/
noun
LAW
“a right to keep possession of property belonging to another person until a debt owed by that person is discharged.”
  1. The debt in question is defined in these cases as an agreement to hold onto the car for the specified time or mileage. Until that time/mileage debt has been repaid then the lien is in place and likely quite legal. The question of legality comes into play if the lien has been placed without your knowledge. Otherwise I believe this is legal, albeit a bit sketchy from a business perspective.
    If I had a lien being placed I would request written clarity as to how/when the lien is dischargeable.

• Agree
Reactions: Rruuff Day and KTJF
lien
/ˈlē(ə)n/
noun
LAW
“a right to keep possession of property belonging to another person until a debt owed by that person is discharged.”
  1. The debt in question is defined in these cases as an agreement to hold onto the car for the specified time or mileage. Until that time/mileage debt has been repaid then the lien is in place and likely quite legal. The question of legality comes into play if the lien has been placed without your knowledge. Otherwise I believe this is legal, albeit a bit sketchy from a business perspective.
    If I had a lien being placed I would request written clarity as to how/when the lien is dischargeable.

Manufacturers price cars at what the market will bear. They thus feel (know?) that the Canadian market can’t bear what the US market can.

That would be the most correct answer. All vehicles are priced this way in all markets. Back when they sold a full line of cars, GM almost certainly lost money on Sparks, Cruzes, etc., but had to price them where they were to be competitive. Then they made up for it by making tons of profit on full-size pickups and SUVs. They're kinda doing the same thing now, losing money on EVs but making up for it on full size trucks. In other words, a car's selling price is most definitely NOT just: cost + markup = selling price.

Another factor that might have playing into Canadian pricing in particular, is that GM used to make more cars in this county than they sold (exporting most to the US). So if the loonie went down, GM actually made more money overall from the lower cost of cars being sold into the US. Although this is just speculation on my part.

Of course now GM has raised the Canadian C8 prices to par with the USD. For the short term, they will still sell at the same supply-constrained volume. But we all know that sports cars are fickle markets, so what will happen when demand inevitably falls off? Maybe $10,000 rebates to move the metal.

In C-A-N-A-D-A……..if you sell your 2023 Corvette, you won’t be able to make an order for the construction of a new Corvette, if your Corvette is less than 12 months old . This is what I have signed in Quebec. Unless you give your 2023 Corvette at the dealer they sell it to you. ( but the dealer decide the price of the trade in Ah Ah Ah..

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.