Could they have supercharged the engine and flashed it to get more out of it?

No. Japan had a gentleman's agreement between all of the automakers that they were to keep the power output of their flagship sports cars below 276 hp. It might have had something to do with government regulations.

Most of the cars, Toyota Supra, Mazda RX-7, and Nissan Skyline, actually produced more, but the published values were 276.

Reactions: OttawaKev
I am sure you will have a lot to say at February's CWO meeting. Sorry we will not be at that meeting.

Regards,
Mike

Gotcha! This is what I initially expected, any idea how long he’s going to have the car for? I’d love to try spotting it someday just to see torch red in person.
So he was in a program where they send out all these engineers with recording devices that take snap shots and than they planned on meeting in two weeks to go over the data. I would suspect that with the new Global B platform that a lot of the things that they uncover will be part of the program of sending live updates to the vettes already produced. In the past they have made breakthroughs with the mag ride and offered software updates. One other thing he was focusing on was the brakes of the vehicle. I have not wanted to post about this issue that he was mainly focused on until I had done some more research on it and I have done so over the weekend. So without further adieu:

The brakes on the vette were a big area of concern and the reason why is nuts. The reason has to do with government regulations Vs Performance/ Corvette engineering. In the US California recently outlawed the use of copper in brakes. This was than adopted by a number of other states and it looks like we followed suit in Canada or they just put the same spec brake on for us. We have been using slotted vented brakes on Vettes and a lot of people were surprised to see a solid rotor on the new Vette. The reason why is because the new pads they have to use are way too vulnerable to slotted rotors. In testing the pads would be cooked in far too short of a time period. GM was pissed off with this because no brake manufacturer was willing to admit how much copper they were using in their proprietary formulas. It turned out after using a mass spectrometer that the OEM C7 brakes were 20% copper.....
So GM moved to a solid rotor to try and counter this aggressive brake wear that was occurring and can anyone guess what this has led too......

Squeaks galore in cold temps....
When I was on the test drive it squeaked a ton when we first started out and it was quite embarrassing. I hope that this is something that they work on and solve before we all get our new C8's as it is a big part of the experience in the vette. I feel that the cold temps were part of it and that maybe his C8 was acting worse than others as I have never heard any vette on any youtube video sound like this.

C8 OEM pads/rotors are required.
The new system monitors brake fade/heat, putting the car into cool down mode if brake overheating is detected.
Aftermarket pads will activate safe mode limiting speed to 80kph.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: C7Heaven and YFCvii
The new system monitors brake fade/heat, putting the car into cool down mode if brake overheating is detected.

Wow, that would be huge news with many implications. Please cite source that isn't some guy spewing random thoughts on another forum ;)

Oh yeah...Cool down mode would be a GM kiss of death after all the hoopla over the C7Z06 going into limp mode on the track... Like the rest, I'd like to see the source of this info as well... :Lurk5:

• Agree
Reactions: YFCvii
So he was in a program where they send out all these engineers with recording devices that take snap shots and than they planned on meeting in two weeks to go over the data. I would suspect that with the new Global B platform that a lot of the things that they uncover will be part of the program of sending live updates to the vettes already produced. In the past they have made breakthroughs with the mag ride and offered software updates. One other thing he was focusing on was the brakes of the vehicle. I have not wanted to post about this issue that he was mainly focused on until I had done some more research on it and I have done so over the weekend. So without further adieu:

The brakes on the vette were a big area of concern and the reason why is nuts. The reason has to do with government regulations Vs Performance/ Corvette engineering. In the US California recently outlawed the use of copper in brakes. This was than adopted by a number of other states and it looks like we followed suit in Canada or they just put the same spec brake on for us. We have been using slotted vented brakes on Vettes and a lot of people were surprised to see a solid rotor on the new Vette. The reason why is because the new pads they have to use are way too vulnerable to slotted rotors. In testing the pads would be cooked in far too short of a time period. GM was pissed off with this because no brake manufacturer was willing to admit how much copper they were using in their proprietary formulas. It turned out after using a mass spectrometer that the OEM C7 brakes were 20% copper.....
So GM moved to a solid rotor to try and counter this aggressive brake wear that was occurring and can anyone guess what this has led too......

Squeaks galore in cold temps....
When I was on the test drive it squeaked a ton when we first started out and it was quite embarrassing. I hope that this is something that they work on and solve before we all get our new C8's as it is a big part of the experience in the vette. I feel that the cold temps were part of it and that maybe his C8 was acting worse than others as I have never heard any vette on any youtube video sound like this.
:bathitshead:

Where did he say this? Link? Video? Writing? Blog? Where?
He said it on the american corvette forum, he is a platinum sponsor and has his own feed that he started going on about it. It was interesting but I got the vibe that some things were being lost in translation. The guys at spring mountain do not work for gm they are just professional racers that have under the guidance of GM created a program to help C8 buyers learn how to get the most out of their product. In no way do they represent GM and their claims are more their opinion over official GM.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread