I'm pretty sure you're preaching to the choir on this one.
I asked in response to the prior post, adamantly beseeching us all to run for cover from the data exposure demons and dragons.
Speaking of that, Giant Tiger may have had one recently, for any of you that might still be concerned about internet privacy.
L8R, ptaters.....
I would think that most would be aware of the site “ haveibeenpwned.com “ totally legit and will tell you if your email addresses have ever been exposed in a breach. I think you would perhaps be surprised how many don’t sing . ;)

Moderator edit. Link was wrong should be pwned (owned) and not pAwned (pawned). I fixed it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think that most would be aware of the site “ haveibeenpawned.com “ totally legit and will tell you if your email addresses have ever been exposed in a breach. I think you would perhaps be surprised how many don’t sing . ;)
Legit? I get all kinds of warnings and adaware blocks that site!

Legit? I get all kinds of warnings and adaware blocks that site!
Too funny.

I think we should remove that URL. If that site has been compromised or is NOT legit we don't want people clicking on it from here.
Do as you wish but I respectfully disagree with your position. The service is used by numerous government departments and numerous Fortune 500 companies. You may want to check your Malware Client settings.

Do as you wish but I respectfully disagree with your position. The service is used by numerous government departments and numerous Fortune 500 companies. You may want to check your Malware Client settings.
Or it has been compromised. Anyway, I added a warning.

Reactions: MKC8
Or it has been compromised. Anyway, I added a warning.
Fair enough and I do understand your concern as these days you just don’t know what is safe and what isn’t but I’m quite certain this one is . It’s a real minefield on the Internut these days for sure and you can’t be too careful. If more knowledgeable people would voice their concerns regarding possible dangers as you just did we would all be better off.

Reactions: Murray20c8
I believe some web browsers (like Firefox?) also have breached site warning settings, and some of the VPN paid services issue warnings as well on a site by site basis. Common sense, pay attention, and be careful what you click, also work well.
HaveIBeenPwned relies heavily on it's founder being made aware of data breaches by the breached website's source data security people. As you can imagine, some sites choose to deal with their breaches internally, so not every breach will get a positive/negative confirmation at HIBP. Or any of the others for that matter.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1st Vette
No but if you don't want all of your operational data being accessed all of the time as well as the app tracking every move don't use it.. The apps have the ability to tarck all of your movements like many apps do.
Not to mention they share this info with Insurance Companies.

Reactions: Vetteboy21
So, the sky is still falling?:cool:
I have never actually contacted OS to "set up" my account, nor have I used my GM account to log in to the OS website or apps.
I have also disabled/turned off OnStar Smart Drive in the My Chevrolet app which I use sparingly.
I have no particular concerns about data privacy, in general.
Financial, yes, everything else, if possible.
These days, it's a mythical creature.
Unicorns and dragons....

Last edited:
It depends on the consequences. If your phone spies on you, you might end up getting ads for things you've searched for ... which is annoying, maybe a little creepy, but in the larger scheme of things, not really a biggie. But if OnStar is reporting your driving habits to LexisNexis and they report it to your insurance company, and they in turn raise your rates (which is exactly what's been report in various articles), then that's a lot bigger deal than just your phone or TV spying on you.

So, the sky is still falling?:cool:
I have never actually contacted OS to "set up" my account, nor have I used my GM account to log in to the OS website or apps.
I have also disabled/turned off OnStar Smart Drive in the My Chevrolet app which I use sparingly.
I have no particular concerns about data privacy, in general.
Financial, yes, everything else, if possible.
These days, it's a mythical creature.
Unicorns and dragons....
What can you do with the My Chevrolet app that you can’t do with the fob or access/control from the settings screen in the vehicle? Nothing that I’m aware of so why bother having one more way to have your data scraped .

What can you do with the My Chevrolet app that you can’t do with the fob or access/control from the settings screen in the vehicle? Nothing that I’m aware of so why bother having one more way to have your data scraped .
You can tell where your wife and her BF took the car. ;)

Not that much, but I can do it from my living room, or the local mall, or my shrink's office during my OCD therapy, or the public health clinic getting an STI evaluation. I don't have to be "in the car".
I can get alerts for recalls, and some other "reminders" about service status and so on, but the app's info on my phone isn't being updated, so I would imagine OnStar isn't "scraping" anything significant from me, anyway. Maybe they're just "sniffing" it? It can also flash the lights without honking the horn and annoying the other shoppers, if my Alzheimers kicks in at the Walmart, and I can't remember where I parked. I can schedule service through it, and set different notification preferences for things like theft alerts, upcoming service requirements, and some other odds and ends, that I can adjust without going out to the car in the middle of a blizzard, during polar bear season. The settings screen requires me to be sitting in the car. The app does this stuff remotely.
And since it's just one more "scraping" method out of thousands on your phone or TV or any other internet connected device, that have also sampled your data, why worry about it, one way or the other?

Not that much, but I can do it from my living room, or the local mall, or my shrink's office during my OCD therapy, or the public health clinic getting an STI evaluation. I don't have to be "in the car".
I can get alerts for recalls, and some other "reminders" about service status and so on, but the app's info on my phone isn't being updated, so I would imagine OnStar isn't "scraping" anything significant from me, anyway. Maybe they're just "sniffing" it? It can also flash the lights without honking the horn and annoying the other shoppers, if my Alzheimers kicks in at the Walmart, and I can't remember where I parked. I can schedule service through it, and set different notification preferences for things like theft alerts, upcoming service requirements, and some other odds and ends, that I can adjust without going out to the car in the middle of a blizzard, during polar bear season. The settings screen requires me to be sitting in the car. The app does this stuff remotely.
And since it's just one more "scraping" method out of thousands on your phone or TV or any other internet connected device, that have also sampled your data, why worry about it, one way or the other?
That’s all ?? lol . Privacy is by and large a thing of the past. But it’s nice to win one once in a while.

Does anyone know if GM Canada is continuing the practice of providing information to our Canadian Insurance Companies. Lexisnexis and Verisk are customers of GM and they exist in Canada. All the News has been about the US but I have not seen evidence of the practice being stopped in Canada. Where could this be confirmed?

I installed the application the other day, and ONSTAR SMART DRIVER is no longer automatically activated.
You manually have to go to settings of the application to turn it on. (That is not happening)

Be careful if you reinstall the application if previously removed as that setting may still be active of you did not clear application cache and settings data.