I installed the application the other day, and ONSTAR SMART DRIVER is no longer automatically activated.
You manually have to go to settings of the application to turn it on. (That is not happening)

Be careful if you reinstall the application if previously removed as that setting may still be active of you did not clear application cache and settings data.
Do we know if that actually stops GM from collecting the data and reselling it to Insurance companies here in Canada?

Does anyone know if GM Canada is continuing the practice of providing information to our Canadian Insurance Companies. Lexisnexis and Verisk are customers of GM and they exist in Canada. All the News has been about the US but I have not seen evidence of the practice being stopped in Canada. Where could this be confirmed?
I have not seen evidence it was ever an issue in Canada

General Motors announced Wednesday it is discontinuing OnStar Smart Driver, an optional program that provided users with data about their driving, across all of its vehicles, doing so after complaints surfaced about privacy violations and how user information was shared with data analytics companies LexisNexis

General Motors announced Wednesday it is discontinuing OnStar Smart Driver, an optional program that provided users with data about their driving, across all of its vehicles, doing so after complaints surfaced about privacy violations and how user information was shared with data analytics companies LexisNexis

Interesting. But fault regarding the intrusiveness lies with the consumer in MHO given that it was an opt in feature off by default. But nice to see that they are concerned about public perception. I posted the GM privacy policy directly above your post for anyone who cares to check it out. It just says Site Maintenance for some reason.

It was ON by default.
Nope . First you have to agree to their privacy policy and then enable it in the App or by contacting On Star .

Customers can enroll in OnStar Smart Driver at the time of vehicle purchase through their dealer, or at a later time, using their myBuick, myCadillac, myChevrolet or myGMC mobile app(s). With any of the enrolment options, prior consent to GM’s User Terms for Connected Vehicle Services and Connected Services Privacy Statement is required.

If enrolling through the mobile app, click on “Settings” and select “OnStar Smart Driver.” Slide the “Allow OnStar Smart Driver” toggle “on”. The toggle is gray (“off”) when you’re not enrolled.

Nope . First you have to agree to their privacy policy and then enable it in the App or by contacting On Star .

Customers can enroll in OnStar Smart Driver at the time of vehicle purchase through their dealer, or at a later time, using their myBuick, myCadillac, myChevrolet or myGMC mobile app(s). With any of the enrolment options, prior consent to GM’s User Terms for Connected Vehicle Services and Connected Services Privacy Statement is required.

If enrolling through the mobile app, click on “Settings” and select “OnStar Smart Driver.” Slide the “Allow OnStar Smart Driver” toggle “on”. The toggle is gray (“off”) when you’re not enrolled.
They JUST changed the option to default off about a month ago. Previous versions have it enabled by default.

• Informative
Reactions: 1st Vette
And some didn't have that option at all! Mine from 2020. lol.
Can’t imagine why anyone would enable Corporate spyware unless they perhaps wanted to keep track of the driving habits of a spouse or child. I will probably enable OnStar for the navigation in areas I’m unfamiliar with down south and then when I get home that will be it . Even if it is “ free “ . I did just receive an envelope from Seriousxm yesterday saying my three month trial had started , lol . Be ok if I had the frikin car ! I was under the impression it was a year’s subscription, apparently not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Murray20c8