Regular
You're 5
Jun 19, 2014
Collingwood ON
VetteCoins
Car
2015 Z51 Coupe A8
Folks.

I think my pride is hurt worse than my C7, but I curbed the car in a roundabout up in the Wasaga Beach area on Friday. I wasn't driving in an aggressive fashion but I was somewhat spirited simply because the car can handle the tight, shall we call it, "chicane".

At any rate I entered the roundabout at a little over the 50kph speed limit - I might have been closer to 60. All was going but glanced to look for merging traffic. As I began to throttle up I felt a "sashay" to the right and then a loud bang. I had hit a patch of gravel and into the curb I went.

When I got to where I could inspect the damage I could see that I seriously gouged the rear passenger wheel right at the rim edge. It looks like both the tire and the rim was the contact point. My local dealer had just closed so I had to wait until Saturday to order a new wheel.

I have the Z51 stock 5 spoke-split rims in the painted silver. The replacement is going to cost me $892.00. Ouch. And I have to surrender the damaged wheel because there is a core return credit. Fine.

The service advisor suggested I had probably given the car only a glancing blow and the tire was salvageable (just a knick out of the sidewall rubber) and at worst perhaps a rear alignment. I thought I dodge a bullet. Just a bolt on part and realignment if needed. Cool. Pride hurt worse than my Corvette.

The car is driveable. So, I needed to run a few errands. I guess it was intuition that had me turn off the climate control and the music and just listen to the car motoring along. There were no shimmies or clunks to be heard. However, as I got up to a higher speed (80 kph) I could hear a rup rup rup sound. Like something was rubbing.

I went back onto the Hwy 26 bypass and took the car up to 90 and on to 100. The rup rup sound became louder and more frequent. There is more going on here.

Not sure if I bent the rim or have bent something else. OnStar diagnostics report all systems are go. Tire pressure is per the other tires but there is no denying the rup rup sound.

My wife and I were supposed to head for Oshawa today to attend a Corvettes of Durham Corvette show there. I contacted the club to say we would now be a no-show as I did not want to put 400 k's on my C7 with that rubbing or whatever it actually is present.

As my wife said, "Vindy had a close encounter of the ouch kind". Vindy is our pet name for VINDIC8R.

[Sigh]. :(

Save the wave!

I would look on Ebay a friend of mine in Winnipeg bought a whole set of Z51 wheels paint Silver for $1200 as he had damaged one of his rims, he is also going to get the old rim repaired.

There are lots of guys in the USA up - grading rims. The ones he got only had about 200 miles on them.

I think it's a rip off from GM to sell them at that price plus they want your old rim.

Ouch, I feel your pain. I put some scratches on my underframe as I went over a curb in a parking lot the other day. Pretty minor stuff but still, it hurts just to hear it.
I have used Carcone's in the past to put an out of round rim back to normal. They charged me about $100... Still in use today with no issues.

Aaaah crappy to hear. Glad the car will be back up to normal in no time. I just touched a curb last year turning too sharp to get out of a parking space. Luckily, the previous owner already curb rashed the rim a bit (If that can be a good thing) so as you say, the pride was hurt more than the car. As an added bonus, my car lost a few grams of unsprung weight! :D

Thanks folks.

I am hoping the rup rup sound I am hearing is just an out of round situation and not a bend in something more serious like the brake rotor. Time will tell. It looks like I will miss a car show in Bayfield ON this weekend if I cannot get the car repaired until next week. ETA for the new wheel is Friday.

Why do they want the old rim back, to fix and resell to some sucker?

Never heard of a dealer wanting an old rim back. Something here makes no sense.

You are paying full pop for the new wheel. The old wheel is yours to keep.

I saved $50 if I surrendered he wheel for something called "core exchange". I had no use for the wheel and no guarantee it was still round.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.