RvetteK

I'm New Here
Nov 8, 2015
CALGARY
VetteCoins
Car
1979 C3
Hi all, I am looking to replace my bulbs on speedo side, I got the RPM side done, however not sure if speedo side is the same or do I need to remove speedo cable. Also how do you remove the handle on the km reset so I can pull out the guage face. Thx in advance..

Hi RvetteK,

Few questions for you. Are you attempting this while the dash is still installed or is it out of the car? Also I don't know what year of Vette you have so this info could be inaccurate. This is all knowledge gained from my 77.

One thing to make sure is that you put the light sockets back in their original holes or else your dash indications will be screwed up. It is the exact same as how you would have replaced the tach bulbs.

The speedo KM (trip) cable is held onto a mount at the back of the dash by two screws. The cable is attached to that by a nut that pinches it. So you can either unscrew it or undo the nut by putting wrenches at the top and bottom of cable mount. It all depends on how much room you have to work with.
Now typically the speedo and tach are meant to be removed by pulling them out of their 'sockets' in the dash. Not pushing them through. This is why this job is nearly impossible to do without removing the entire dash.

I'll post some pictures to help give you an idea of what it looks like behind there.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    407.7 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    408.2 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: nascar03
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.