969BBACB-6A79-43FF-8206-2EEDCDD34838.jpeg

Doubt it. Most vintage guys know that Mobil marketing brings out oil with a new name almost monthly and their contract with GM is based on GM advising that the "new" oil requires GM to spec that as the only oil you must use. Mobil 1 Dexos 1 syn 5-30 was the recommended oil for the C7 right up until Mobil came out with a new name. GM and Tadge jumped on it and although the same engine, the recommended Dexos 1 5-30 all of a sudden wasn't good enough. The "supercar" oil they recommend now is exactly the same as the ESP oil that sold for half of what they ask now. A new name and repackaging draws a lot of people in. I have friends here with over 200,000 kms using only Mobil 1 5 - 30 syn since day 1. Hard to justify not buying my Mobil 1 from Cdn tire on sale for $27.50 for a 4.7 litre jug.... JMO.

Doubt it. Most vintage guys know that Mobil marketing brings out oil with a new name almost monthly and their contract with GM is based on GM advising that the "new" oil requires GM to spec that as the only oil you must use. Mobil 1 Dexos 1 syn 5-30 was the recommended oil for the C7 right up until Mobil came out with a new name. GM and Tadge jumped on it and although the same engine, the recommended Dexos 1 5-30 all of a sudden wasn't good enough. The "supercar" oil they recommend now is exactly the same as the ESP oil that sold for half of what they ask now. A new name and repackaging draws a lot of people in. I have friends here with over 200,000 kms using only Mobil 1 5 - 30 syn since day 1. Hard to justify not buying my Mobil 1 from Cdn tire on sale for $27.50 for a 4.7 litre jug.... JMO.
Back in “ the day “ as they say… this was our go to .
IMG_2216.jpeg

Good info and it makes me wonder why GM is so intent on the C8 to use 0w40.
I was under the impression that the ESP formula was NOT the same as Dexos 2.

Good info and it makes me wonder why GM is so intent on the C8 to use 0w40.
I was under the impression that the ESP formula was NOT the same as Dexos 2.

Warranty would be my only concern given that dealing with a manufacturer in the event of an issue is as bad or worse than dealing with most insurance companies. The extra, probably inflated price of the “ recommended “ oil over the lifetime of the vehicle isn’t that significant when you think about it.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 BAD 9T9
Mine was whatever can was the cheapest... lol
It was all cheap back then. I also remember paying less than $1.00 for a GALLON of high test. We now pay twice that just in tax . Then again coffee was .25 a cup . Must be getting old, lol .