Feb 11, 2019
VetteCoins
I have a new issue with what i think is the tensioner for the AC pump. I know someone here can confirm or refute my thoughts and lead me down the right path.

I am getting a squeeling noise (like metal on metal) coming from the right front of the engine. Without the A/C engaged, i get the noise. When I turn on the A/C, the noise disappears. Is this the tensioner pulley for the drive belt for the A/C? Is it the A/C clutch bearing? To me it sounds similar to the noise that came out of the tensioner on the front of the engine before I replaced it about 4-5 years ago. All my pulleys and tensioner were replaced at the same time.

Any advice?

Edited to add sounds with A/C on, off and on again.

Attachments

• VID_20230911_190103435[1].mp4
    62.7 MB
Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
I was asked by the parts manager (and former Mechanic) at a local GM dealership to remove the A/C belt and spin the clutch to see if indeed the tensioner bearing was bad. I did this and the sound above was indeed coming from the A/C clutch bearing, the tensioner pully didn't make a sound. So I guess i'll be hoping that the clutch bearing can be replaced without taking off the compressor -- a youtube search just enlightened me to the fact that removing the compressor is a PITA.

I know nothing of Corvettes, but why is it a PITA to re&re?
Other than the obvious with the freon.
It's the position of the compressor that makes it a PIA. Without removing multiple other things including the exhaust/header on that side the PIA is getting at it and getting it out and the new one in. Even with the header removed you still have to have at least one arm that simultaneously can bend in 4 different directions at once.

ac.png

It's the position of the compressor that makes it a PIA. Without removing multiple other things including the exhaust/header on that side the PIA is getting at it and getting it out and the new one in. Even with the header removed you still have to have at least one arm that simultaneously can bend in 4 different directions at once.

View attachment 114026
Ruuff, I hope that pic wasn't of your previous Corvette. The person that did the welding on the header needs a bit more practice I think.:Biggrin:

Ruuff, I hope that pic wasn't of your previous Corvette. The person that did the welding on the header needs a bit more practice I think.:Biggrin:
lol.... No not mine. I noticed that as well. I'm not an accomplished welder but I think even I could do a cleaner job than that with my mig. At worst, I would have ground it down so at least it would have looked better.

UPDATE April 28

Ordered a compressor kit from Rock Auto a couple months back and installed it this weekend.

I have watched a multitude of YouTube videos on the replacement of the compressor and decided that in a garage with no lift the water pump would be the way to go.

Put front tires up on blocks, about 6" off the floor (to get the drain pan under the air dam)
Removed the water pump and associated lines to have an access path for the compressor (found out that 80% of the coolant isn't in the rad...its in the heater core lines and about half a gallon or so of it ended up on the floor)
Removed the passenger side tire to get access to the bottom bolts of the compressor and the bolt that holds the A/C lines to the compressor...FYI, the latter said bolt took 1 hr and 8 minutes to remove when no socket with any combination of extensions and universals could get access to it..one handed with a 13mm, face planted into the rotor, twist, turn, twist turn...yadda yadda yadda (cleaned out the bolt threads before reinstall and it took only 15 minutes.
Installed new compressor.
Removed the oriface tube filter and replaced.
Removed and replaced the drier.
Removed and replaced the condensor.
The C5 gets air from beneath the car and debris can accumulate on the condensor and rad, this is my condensor after 81K, notice all of the sand at the top
IMG_20240428_101717001[1].jpg

Took the air hose to the rad, made 3 or 4 passes all over untill i didn't see any more stuff being blown through...this is what came from the rad fins
IMG_20240428_102115414[1].jpg

While I had the water pump off I decided that I would re-solder the EBCM well (known issue with the C5)

IMG_20240427_185029234[1].jpg

IMG_20240427_185700424[1].jpg

Over all not too bad of a job, or jobs, Took the better part of 2 full days. One piece had to be removed a few times to get it back on correctly, with new fasteners I might add, thanks to GM who's engineers have absolutely no regard for the poor guy that had to take this apart to fix it.
Plus one needs the ability to be able to twist arms and wrists in 3 different directions simultaniously to get bolts and nuts in and out.

I really love my Corvette, but at times like this I am wishing it was my old 86 GMC Square body Pickup...lots of room to work on it.

Anyway, Thanks for reading my rant for today. Everything is all back together and so far no leaks. Just need to have my A/C system recharged when I can get a service appointment at my local garage.

P.S. about 2 solid hours of cussing comes with the A/C replacement LOL

Last edited:
It reads like a typical corvette repair. I did the water pump on my C4, 3hrs to get to it, 3 hrs to reassemble, and do it again because the pump to block gaskets slipped. Upside is you got it done, and you are richer for it especially with shop rates of at least $150.00 per hour.

• Agree
Reactions: OL Yeller
UPDATE April 28

Ordered a compressor kit from Rock Auto a couple months back and installed it this weekend.

I have watched a multitude of YouTube videos on the replacement of the compressor and decided that in a garage with no lift the water pump would be the way to go.

Put front tires up on blocks, about 6" off the floor (to get the drain pan under the air dam)
Removed the water pump and associated lines to have an access path for the compressor (found out that 80% of the coolant isn't in the rad...its in the heater core lines and about half a gallon or so of it ended up on the floor)
Removed the passenger side tire to get access to the bottom bolts of the compressor and the bolt that holds the A/C lines to the compressor...FYI, the latter said bolt took 1 hr and 8 minutes to remove when no socket with any combination of extensions and universals could get access to it..one handed with a 13mm, face planted into the rotor, twist, turn, twist turn...yadda yadda yadda (cleaned out the bolt threads before reinstall and it took only 15 minutes.
Installed new compressor.
Removed the oriface tube filter and replaced.
Removed and replaced the drier.
Removed and replaced the condensor.
The C5 gets air from beneath the car and debris can accumulate on the condensor and rad, this is my condensor after 81K, notice all of the sand at the topView attachment 123630

Took the air hose to the rad, made 3 or 4 passes all over untill i didn't see any more stuff being blown through...this is what came from the rad fins
View attachment 123631

While I had the water pump off I decided that I would re-solder the EBCM well (known issue with the C5)

View attachment 123633

View attachment 123632

Over all not too bad of a job, or jobs, Took the better part of 2 full days. One piece had to be removed a few times to get it back on correctly, with new fasteners I might add, thanks to GM who's engineers have absolutely no regard for the poor guy that had to take this apart to fix it.
Plus one needs the ability to be able to twist arms and wrists in 3 different directions simultaniously to get bolts and nuts in and out.

I really love my Corvette, but at times like this I am wishing it was my old 86 GMC Square body Pickup...lots of room to work on it.

Anyway, Thanks for reading my rant for today. Everything is all back together and so far no leaks. Just need to have my A/C system recharged when I can get a service appointment at my local garage.

P.S. about 2 solid hours of cussing comes with the A/C replacement LOL
Great success story Don. Anytime you can take a project like this on and not wish at the end you'd have taken it to a shop or even worse when you have to take it to a shop to fix your fix, I consider that a winner. :thumbs:

Users who are viewing this thread