Mar 4, 2020
VetteCoins
Car
Little red 2020 C8
Province
ON
Sitting at a stop light. It turns green for me!

1684414757106.png

But wait!!!!! 3 seconds later!!
1684414836781.png

My dad was a long time transport truck driver and always told me..”just because it’s green, it doesn’t mean go”...always check both directions before you commit to entering an intersection…even if the light is in your favour. That bit of wisdom from him has saved my bacon plenty of times!!
Agreed but someone should tell that biker that red means dead!

Dude on the bike can't see the stoplight due to the size of the truck, so he simply follows.
As he gains experience, hopefully he figures out how to peek around one side or the other in order to see if the light went red or not, before doing what you caught on camera.

Dude on the bike can't see the stoplight due to the size of the truck, so he simply follows.
As he gains experience, hopefully he figures out how to peek around one side or the other in order to see if the light went red or not, before doing what you caught on camera.
He was 3 seconds back which is more than safe. I'm pretty sure he could see the light if he was paying attention. I don't think he was. He was oblivious. There are stop lights on each side of the road for that reason.

The biker better learn quick. Lots of people do check both ways before they proceed on green and the truck was an easy see coming for those people. Unfortunately a bike on the road does not register in many people's brain. Ask me. Had a smaller car turn left in front of me on a secondary with a 50mph speed limit. No turn signal and I was 20 feet from her when she made the turn across my lane. Witnesses said on impact I went over the car (good luck), but my XS650 Yamaha spun the car sideways and then tumbled and ended up landing on me (bad luck). I was still conscious until I tried to stand up. Woke up in the hospital with a broken pelvis, shoulder, and multiple road rash stitches. (good luck). Be safe out there no matter what you drive.

My dad was a long time transport truck driver and always told me..”just because it’s green, it doesn’t mean go”...always check both directions before you commit to entering an intersection…even if the light is in your favour. That bit of wisdom from him has saved my bacon plenty of times!!
I always ask the co-pilot "what have you got on your side, and is everyone stopping as far as you can see?" when we're at a stop sign/light. A second set of eyes helps me on the right side. It's a Wrangler JKU Sahara with terrible side visibility to the right from wide door pillars, and many of the streets out here meet at odd angles. The answer sometimes is "you're good, but don't dawdle".

Reactions: BCL
I always ask the co-pilot "what have you got on your side, and is everyone stopping as far as you can see?" when we're at a stop sign/light. A second set of eyes helps me on the right side. It's a Wrangler JKU Sahara with terrible side visibility to the right from wide door pillars, and many of the streets out here meet at odd angles. The answer sometimes is "you're good, but don't dawdle".
I never trust my passenger……so I look for myself …….to avoid opps, sorry , I didn‘t see him…….so whose fault is that for your wrecked car? Ha ha!

I never trust my passenger……so I look for myself …….to avoid opps, sorry , I didn‘t see him…….so whose fault is that for your wrecked car? Ha ha!
Hers. She checks on her side, so she's never wrong. She doesn't want to get hit.

Reactions: BCL
Sorry, definitely not good driving skills/habits relying on a passenger to do the job of the person behind the wheel! Did you take her with you when you took your drivers test? Ha ha!
In 50+ years of driving, in all kinds of vehicles, and in all kinds of driving conditions, I've never been involved in a collision at an intersection, whether alone, or with a co-pilot assist.
How many have you been in, at an intersection?
If none, then both our systems work with the same result, correct? Yours is no better than mine.
You keep on doing your thing, and I'll keep on doing mine.
Peace.

Dear old Dad taught us a) how to stop, b) Never trust a turn signal c) check twice for traffic. If you asked him he always said "Nothin's coming...just a Bus", we always looked again.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.