If all you want to disable is the "event tracking/data collection" you can disable the "OnStar Smart Driver" feature from the MyChevrolet android app with your GM Canada account.
This "how to" assumes you already have a GM Canada account that knows about your cars and other personal details.
So, open the app, sign in, either by password or biometrics, then top right corner, tap the account icon (may contain your name/initials), then tap Settings, then OnStar Smart Driver, then disable "Allow OnStar Smart Driver" with the slider switch.
This can probably be done on the internet version, but I have yet to figure out how.
That is the first thing I will do when I pick up my car. As for all the other features from a privacy standpoint disabling all functionality is like swatting one mosquito in the swamp. True privacy by and large is sadly a thing of the past.

Reactions: Vettenut
That is the first thing I will do when I pick up my car. As for all the other features from a privacy standpoint disabling all functionality is like swatting one mosquito in the swamp. True privacy by and large is sadly a thing of the past.

Doing this ... will it stop those annoying diagnostic emails from On Star ?

I can't say. I never created an OnStar account. I did get some "welcome" emails shortly after taking delivery, and "lets get you set up", which I unsubscribed from and ignored. Have had nothing from them since.

I get them ( diagnostics ) at least once a month plus other spam emails from On Star .... but even the " diagnostic " emails are another form of spam to try to get you to sign up .... nothing wrong with signing up if you find it useful and get value out of it ... I just never had a need for it ;)

• Agree
Reactions: MKC8
Is that via the OnStar Guardian android app? I installed it, thinking I might need it, but the MyChevrolat app seems to do everything I may need, so I got rid of the separate OnStar app. MyChevrolet recently started updating specific car data, after I got the "Trusted Device" feature working. Early days, it hardly ever updated, but the trusted device thing only worked sporadically, probably user error, as I honestly had no idea on how it was supposed to link my phone and car. I see/think now it's mostly Bluetooth, with a smattering of wifi/data connectivity.

Is that via the OnStar Guardian android app? I installed it, thinking I might need it, but the MyChevrolat app seems to do everything I may need, so I got rid of the separate OnStar app. MyChevrolet recently started updating specific car data, after I got the "Trusted Device" feature working. Early days, it hardly ever updated, but the trusted device thing only worked sporadically, probably user error, as I honestly had no idea on how it was supposed to link my phone and car. I see/think now it's mostly Bluetooth, with a smattering of wifi/data connectivity.

I dont even know what that is o_O Originally I just hooked up with My Chevrolet ... and I use apple carplay

I dont even know what that is o_O Originally I just hooked up with My Chevrolet ... and I use apple carplay
OK. I'm an android droid. It's a standalone android OnStar app. I have no idea what it does either, as I got rid of it after I decided not to use OnStar except what was necessary for the car to function. I also use MyChevrolet as my phone to car interface.

UPDATE: The OnStar Guardian app is the one that tracks everything you do, including crash response, and other "location services" aka tracking. It can find lost kids, and respond to medical emergencies, dispatch roadside assistance, blah, blah, blah.
Nope, don't need it. I already have that stuff covered.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vettenut