techristian

I'm New Here
You're 5
Mar 3, 2016
windsor ontario
VetteCoins
Car
2002 coupe
Yep . I'm getting it now. I suppose I should have changed my battery LONG AGO, That may have helped the relay. Also it was very DAMP yesterday.

I keep my car on the road all year. Generally, if it is off road for 3 days or more, I need to trickle charge the battery. Yesterday, it just BARELY turned over and started. I was able to drive it at full speed but that scary message was lurking.

Dan

Interesting. I had to change mine over a few years ago. You are very luck you are able to drive yours with that message on! I was limited to a max of 2 mph before it would shut off the fuel to the engine. Needless to say, I had to have it towed home but thank goodness I was only a km away. Anyway, I suspect your car never had the column lock recall done otherwise your fuel would shut off above 2mph......unless you've had the engine tuned? I had a friend hook up a tuner and change the 2mph limit to 241 mph (the highest allowed value, not an actual speed I ever plan to go :D) so that if my column lock bypass kit failed, I could still drive my car.

Anyway, try a new battery, see if that works. I tried having a fully charged battery, removing fuse #10 (I think that was the number) and doing all other tricks to get the error to delete itself with no luck. Eventually I just ordered a column lock bypass kit from Corvettes of Houston, installed it and I've been good ever since!

Oh! And welcome to the forum!!! Let us know if the new battery works or if you end up having to get the kit.

Make sure that you have all accessories shut off when starting your car. It is surprising at the amperage draw if the heater is on high when trying to start the car. Add a few other things like the radio and problems can crop up. If the voltage drops below a certain level, the computer gets foggy brained and will do odd things. We bought our `05 in April 2012 and the owner had just installed a new Delco battery and it has worked flawlessly so far. Get the highest CCA battery that you can bolt into your car. It may save you grief down the road.
I use a charger/maintainer on the battery all winter to keep the battery in good shape. It goes through discharge and charge cycles to minimize sulfation of the plates in the battery.

Last edited:
Hahaha. Oh my! When I skimmed the posts I thought you were going to say that Costco had the Column Lock Bypass kits and I was thinking, that is crazy! What doesn't Costco have! Hahaha. But I read the post to see it has to do with their batteries. Now that makes sense.

Dan, I think you are going to find that the batteries in these cars can have an impact on how a lot of things work and do not work. Voltage draw as the car sits parked is very real. A battery tender is your best friend. Low voltage will sometimes allow you to start the car but it can also have a very negative impact on some of the electronics. Take care of the battery as it is the heart of the beast.

Glad this all worked out for you.

Reactions: Keith Tedford
Even my radio works better! This is NOT the stock radio, but a Pioneer touch screen type and...... I'm not even using the amplified antenna. I have a whip antenna in the trunk and I'm picking up more AM stations and HD channels than ever before.

Dan

Just got the service column lock error last night in the garage as we were leaving for anniversary dinner. Good thing it didn't happen downtown! Car is sitting on the battery tender now as it hasn't ran in a couple weeks. Hopefully that clears the problem up. Thanks for the info guys.

Just got the service column lock error last night in the garage as we were leaving for anniversary dinner. Good thing it didn't happen downtown! Car is sitting on the battery tender now as it hasn't ran in a couple weeks. Hopefully that clears the problem up. Thanks for the info guys.

CLVTCH this was a GM recall at one point so maybe worth calling the dealership and asking. Dasilva Motorsport eliminated mine electronically. Never had an issue.

Best of luck with yours. Will be interesting to see if the Battery Tender cures the problem. Let us know.

Anything over a week of down time and I put the tender on. Not sure if the battery draw on the C7 is as much as my C6 was but not going to take a chance.Way too many electronics that can go goofy on me..... Will be interested to hear some battery reports from the 7's and just what happens to them when the juice leaves....

Battery tender fixed my issue. Still I ordered the LMC5 from compliance parts. Gonna install so this doesn't happen again!

lmc5ataglance

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.