Apr 24, 2011
Comox Vancouver Island B.C.
VetteCoins
Car
2006 C-6
Quick question for Manny. How often should we pull the plugs on these Aluminum engines. I know if you leave them in to long they are liable to seize. What's a normal cycle and is the Copper anti seize any good for stopping the problem. Also if you don't mind what plugs would you recommend.
Rob

Has anyone ever used E3 plugs in their C5 or other cars? Are they what they claim to be . Reviews on the web are mixed.

"Born to Burn" -- good question. I've heard mixed opinions.
I did see a 'Horsepower' dyno test a while back that supposedly showed a few ponies yield from their use.
How they would know that's an actual increase or just a normal variation between runs is beyond me.

C.

We were across the line this week and I stopped at an auto supply just to see how much they charge for ngk iridium plugs. When I asked he asked dd I want plain iridium or laser iridium. Went to the NGK website and the only thing there was that the laser ones will last twice as long. Just curious If anyone is using the laser ones in their C5 and if it is OK to put them in the C5. Maybe Manny will see this and chime in too. Thanks............
Al...

Hey Manny. want do you recommend for the C4 guys? Mine is a 1985. Should I be changing every year due to age? Car has about 140k on it but I only put 2-3 k on per year.

I've seen how ham fisted amateurs can be with their Armstrong torque wrenches. An experienced person like Manny can get away torquing by feel. The rest of us would be wise to use a torque wrench. Aluminum isn't exactly one of my favourite metals and can be stripped out and broken very easily when things are over done. My torque wrenches are my best friends in my garage.....unless one of you guys show up.

When I used to be on the Chevelles.com web site there was always someone breaking a lug off of a carb or stripping threads. Thread cleaning taps are another good thing to have around just to clean buildup out of threads. Aluminum is especially prone to picking up on steel. At work, I did a lot of helicoil and keensert installs. They sure are handy when things go wrong and I have a good selection. It isn't always us ham fisted guys who are the problem. Steel bolts can often weld themselves into threaded holes. The aluminum threads then has a bad habit of coming out with the bolt. That is where the Kopr Kote comes in handy. I keep a can of it on hand too.
Love a joke. No one sends around more of them than me.