Apr 24, 2011
Comox Vancouver Island B.C.
VetteCoins
Car
2006 C-6
Quick question for Manny. How often should we pull the plugs on these Aluminum engines. I know if you leave them in to long they are liable to seize. What's a normal cycle and is the Copper anti seize any good for stopping the problem. Also if you don't mind what plugs would you recommend.
Rob

Quick question for Manny. How often should we pull the plugs on these Aluminum engines. I know if you leave them in to long they are liable to seize. What's a normal cycle and is the Copper anti seize any good for stopping the problem. Also if you don't mind what plugs would you recommend.
Rob

I recommend changing them at 65K, for sure copper anti seize is a good idea .
For the C5's I use NGK TR55's on a stock setup . The C6's , stick to the stock plugs as anything else seems to mess with the ECM. .

Hope that helps

Thanks Manny. I just thought that with winter storage that it might be a good time to pull them out as the cars five years old. I'm also going to paint the valve covers white to match the car so it's a good excuse to tinker.
Rob

Good move brother --- I'm even thinking of taking mine out just to re-apply anti-seize ... I may or may not keep the car long enough to have to change them but in case I do, a little time investment now would go a long way to make that job easier and less likely for mishap if not for me then for subsequent owners.

Too many horror stories of broken plugs and wrecked threads.

BTW, steamer and Manny: you specify Copper A/S. Is that more compatible with aluminum than the ordinary A/S?

Cheers guys.
Colin

Good move brother --- I'm even thinking of taking mine out just to re-apply anti-seize ... I may or may not keep the car long enough to have to change them but in case I do, a little time investment now would go a long way to make that job easier and less likely for mishap if not for me then for subsequent owners.

Too many horror stories of broken plugs and wrecked threads.

BTW, steamer and Manny: you specify Copper A/S. Is that more compatible with aluminum than the ordinary A/S?

Cheers guys.
Colin

The copper is not more compatiable but is better for high heat applications.

I forgot to ask what the torque specs are for the C6. Anyone have the answer. Thanks
Rob

I've never torqued a plug either but here's a good ref. for plug info and specs. :

Only thing I'd recommend is to remember that the tapered (non gasketted) plugs don't get the same torque as their similar but different gasketted ones.
I've not had plugs out for years and not owned many chevy products but I believe that our 'vettes have the gaskets. It will be obvious once removed,

Good reading.

Silverstone Torque Specifications:

Spark plug that blew right out of a motor ..

Talked to a fellow yesterday while down in Washington state who has a friend that took his Ford explorer in to a dealer for new plugs. Then he and his friend drove to Arizona where one of the plugs blew right out of the head of the motor. A Ford dealer then took the head off and put a stainles steel helicore in. The whole thing was $2,400 just for that job. Have never heard anything like that one..

Talked to a fellow yesterday while down in Washington state who has a friend that took his Ford explorer in to a dealer for new plugs. Then he and his friend drove to Arizona where one of the plugs blew right out of the nead of the motor. A Ford dealer then took the head off and put a stainles steel helicore in. The whole thing was $2,400 just for that job. Have never heard anything like that one..

Can you say raped

At one time there was a reamer/tap that cut an over sized hole and tapped all in one shot. http://www.timesert.com Then there was a steel sleeve that you spun onto the spark plug and installed the works in the head. This was for snowmobiles and lawnmowers but might work in our aluminum heads too. Just guessing on that one. Now your spark plug threads into steel. However, with this computerized stuff and how sensitive it is, we might still have problems. Manny might know if this works.

At one time there was a reamer/tap that cut an over sized hole and tapped all in one shot. ++ TIME-SERT Threaded inserts for stripped threads, threaded inserts, thread repair stripped sparkplug's, Ford sparkplug blowouts, threaded inserts threaded, repair stripped threads, stripped threads, inserts threaded inserts, Ford spark plug repair, Then there was a steel sleeve that you spun onto the spark plug and installed the works in the head. This was for snowmobiles and lawnmowers but might work in our aluminum heads too. Just guessing on that one. Now your spark plug threads into steel. However, with this computerized stuff and how sensitive it is, we might still have problems. Manny might know if this works.

These are available for cars as well . I have never had to use one on a vette , but have on other makes . Still its not a $2500 job.