Sprocketboy

Sprocketboy

Casual User
Aug 9, 2015
Ottawa
VetteCoins
Car
2008 Coupe Z51 6MT
Hello, all. I received a letter from GM this week which I have not heard anything about before. It tells me that the clutch on my 2008 C6 may fail if unapproved fluids are used to service the system or "a high-pressure pulse occurs during a clutch self-adjustment event. If the clutch system fails, the clutch pedal may not return if depressed." GM is providing additional coverage to repair this condition at no charge if it occurs within 10 years of the date when the car was placed in service or 193,000 kms (whichever came first). If the vehicle does not have the issue described I am not supposed to bother my GM dealership.

I have not heard of this before although I am aware that clutch fluid needs to be changed and I will be having this done before the car goes into storage in November since I am not sure when it was done by previous owners. My car now has 42,000 kms, with 10,000 of that being mine in the last six months. I am new to manual transmission ownership but everything seems to be working well. How often does a "clutch self-adjustment event" happen? I do not think I have a problem looming but this letter might be of interest to other owners of 6MT cars.

With my 2007 Convertible, with less than 10,000 miles (97xx), and in May of 2012 (just under the 5 year warranty),
the clutch pedal failed to release.
We were out on an Autocross at the time.
The pedal would not return... it either stayed up or down.

So, off to our local GM Dealer on a flat deck (Duecks in Richmond).

After they "assessed" the situation, it was determined that I needed a new flywheel (?????),
and slave cylinder. The labour is horrendous because you have to drop the rear end and transmission,
and the drive train (wheels, rear suspension, etc.), to get at the clutch.

Anyway, since I "Race" the car it was decided by GM that this was NOT under warranty.
We had coil-overs in it, Pfadt sway bars, Corsa Extreme cat-back exhaust,
and wider wheels and tires.

Yep... $2800 later, I could have my car back.
Of course, I wasn't told that it would not be covered until after I had agreed
to the repairs. If I had known, I would have taken it to my own mechanic,
and installed BETTER after market parts.... including a clutch bleed arrangement.

Some Corvettes seem to have clutch issues. My C5 is good until I bang through a few gears then the pedal gets really soft. If I tracked it I would be worried. Every year I change the fluid in hopes it will get better as I doubt the previous owner ever changed it.

I received my letter as well, when I went to GM they told me that the recall on my vette expires in Feb 2016. It is only for a certain amount of time if you have no issues. I have not had any issues.

Hello, new to the forum but have recently had some clutch issues on a 2010 and believe this to be the problem. Just clarifying gm will cover this in Canada? Anyone know if it has to be serviced at gm or can another shop do it and be reimbursed?

On watching American Corvette web sites, it would appear that the problem is mainly with cars that are being
run hard. Clutch dust gets past the seals, into the brake fluid. Fluids have been analyzed and they do get clutch dust into them. I syphon off brake fluid from the reservoir whenever I have a minute to spare. I don't drive the car hard so that little bit of fresh fluid is probably enough. Installing a remote bleed would be a better way for a thorough flush. A properly designed seal would be the real solution.

Hey Cross88. Try changing the clutch fluid first and see if the problem goes away. If not, call the dealership (One that can service Corvettes as hopefully they'll have some knowledge on this) and ask if the recall is still in effect.
If they don't know, I'd call GM Canada.

Hey Cross88. Try changing the clutch fluid first and see if the problem goes away. If not, call the dealership (One that can service Corvettes as hopefully they'll have some knowledge on this) and ask if the recall is still in effect.
If they don't know, I'd call GM Canada.
Thanks Riley, car is currently at GM and should be looked at by tomorrow. Special coverage is still in effect, and if that is deemed the cause they have assured me it will be covered. Will update when I find out.